Will Sonny Intervene Again?

He did before the election. Will he intervene now that he’s not running again?

Georgia drivers already paying record-high prices at the pump will have to dig even deeper into their wallets beginning Friday when the state’s sales tax is set to rise 2.1 cents a gallon.The jump is driven by state law which automatically adjusts the motor fuel sales tax when the price rises or dips 25 percent from a preset average. The state sales tax will rise from 15.2 cents a gallon to 17.3 cents.And it’s likely to climb again July 1, when the state is scheduled to do its regular twice-yearly recalculation of the tax.

If he’s not going to give property owners tax relief, maybe he’ll at least consider shutting down the gas tax or cutting out these increases.

1. IndyInjun says:

It was funny to see right wingers applaud Sonny’s lifting of a 15 cents fuel tax when gasoline went over $3 bucks a gallon, then march and demonstrate ASKING for a (30% in current bill) Fair????tax that would add another 90 cents IN ADDITION TO the federal excise tax of 18 cents that is not replaced by Linder’s pet tax.

Peach Pundit is a very funny place in this way. People get excited over a measely $20 buck property tax refund that was vetoed and just shrug off a $27,000 indebtedness added onto our breaking backs. Then they get excited about a 17 cent tax cut while demanding a $1.08 tax increase.

The world of politics is a very humerous and strange place.

2. Doug Deal says:

You are becoming fixated I.I. Other concepts exist in the world. Maybe read a good Harry Potter book, while there is still time.

3. IndyInjun says:

Hahahahaha…

Harry Potter is more real world than Saxby Chambliss last Saturday, let me tell you.

I got tickled, he kept saying ” I have nothing in common with Ted Kennedy” in the same tone as Clinton’s “I did not have s-e-x with that woman…”

Republicans have gotten to be down-right entertaining.

Sonny won’t lower taxes this time, maybe he will when they spike to $5.

4. Jmac says:

Removing the gas tax isn’t even the best course of action. It’s only a minimal decrease that if negated but the consistent rising of the prices.

Biodiesel is now 20 to 30 cents cheaper, and the real thing the government should be doing is to find a way to encourage these alternative fuels to enter the marketplace in a expedient fashion.

Seriously, with our agriculture industry dropping off in previous years, the potential is unlimited.

5. IndyInjun says:

Diesel is the answer. Over 50% of Europe’s autos are diesels. As Jmac noted, biodiesel looks promising and can be made from a variety of sources. Also, there are 3 wood-waste-to-ethanol plants going up in Georgia.

Making ethanol from corn is worrysome, because of the vast amounts of water drawn from aquifers required.

The government needs to do what it takes to make viable energy alternatives work.

6. Harry says:

What the government really needs to do is allow offshore drilling on all coasts, and encourage building more refineries and nuclear plants.

7. joe says:

Indy,

Sonny has vetoed a couple of hundred million in expenses. Are you suggesting that he invest it in bio-diesel made from pine tree products? And don’t laugh, the research is ongoing.

8. IndyInjun says:

Normally I would say that such investment is not the role of government, but the energy dependency of the USA is past critical.

I take technology that makes greater use of our expansive forest products in Georgia to be of great economic benefit.

Right now, I am simply delighted about the veto of funds for the Golf Hall of Fame. Redirecting those funds almost anywhere would be a better use.

9. joe says:

I see the possibility as a win on all levels.

Federal–decreases dependence on foreign oil
    State–Georgia is really good at growing pines
    Personel–I have 20 pines in my back yard that I am willing to sell

What more can you ask? The actual potential is for the money to be an investment, not an expense.

10. Shakin the bush boss says:

If you recall the sales tax suspension was for a month and was due to a fuel prices impacted by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. If the forecasters are right and we have another active hurricane season, we could see $5.00 gas prices. Of course the state would reap a tremendous windfall (another 8 cents per gallon in taxes) and I think this would put tremendous pressure on the state to do something.

It’s too early to do anything and then have to do it again.

11. gatormathis says:

I like this idea of using “waste wood” as a possible energy source.

I was planting a field the other day that had a tract of “cut over” timber at the end of it. The timber harvest had occurred during the first few months of this year.

It is amazing the shear amount of wood left behind that is termed as “scrap”. The volume is amazing to say the least.

But the most significant feature is that it already “exists” and dosen’t have to be “made”. And it will only go to waste just laying there.

I say this meaning that the wood has to be grown, but at harvest time, this “scrap” wood is a by-product. It only needs a way to make it into fuel, and then deliver it to the plant.

This is in stark contrast to the expense of growing corn, plus you have to factor in the energy used to produce the corn. When you subtract energy used from the energy produced from corn, I bet the margin is slim.

A friend asked me one time, “Gator, you keep up with the government and stuff, why can’t they take all this corn, make alcohol, and use it for gas?”

“They can’t”, I said simply, “folks drink it to fast.”

12. Jmac says:

The pine tree research is big, as is some work by research scientists in Virginia Tech to derive fuel from barley.

We’ve got lots of peanuts, pine trees and barley in this state.

We need to continue to push tax credits for hybrids, switch the state fleet to hybrids and biofuels, focus investments on expanding our agricultural economy on this products, sent up incentives for stations to have biofuel pumps, etc. and etc.

Offshore drilling? Not so much.

13. Know Nothing says:

Jmac,

People have been deriving fuel from barley for thousands of years, it’s called beer.

14. With the absolute advances in technology is seems completely odd that we have to even use fossil fuels as an energy source.

Think about it 30 years ago I would have been reading a Jetsons comic if I thought would be reading my news, ranting about politics and buying much of my stuff online. It didn’t happen. In fact, the transformation into the technological age was pretty rapid.

Seems to me that some sort of energy cell could be developed.

15. Jmac says:

Touche Know Nothing, touche.

Related to that, I had a buddy who told me he preferred MGD over Miller High Life. Naturally, I told him he was insane, but I wanted to get feedback on that.

MGD? Really?

16. Doug Deal says:

Maurice,

It’s all about physics and chemistry. You can only get so much energy out various forms of fuel. Solid and chemical fuels hold huge amounts of energy for their weight and volume, that they are pretty much the best for mobile applications. Since solid fuels do not flow, that only leaves liquid fuels for modern applications.

Batteries can store energy, but they will never be able to store as much energy as a gas tank. Plus, there is a significant charge time when you run out of power.

There are several options for weening us off of foreign energy though, and the most viable is coal liquefaction, and replacing the use of coal in electrical generation with nuclear.

America would then be 100% independent in its energy needs for at least 300 years.

17. Jason O says:

I can’t wait to hear the uproar when someone proposes giving funding for biodiesel or ethanol derived from pine trees. Given the fact that the current Senate Majority Leader in Georgia derives a significant portion of his income from the pine-tree industry, I suspect this idea could quickly go from pie-in-the-sky environmentalism to political corruption in the Republican Leadership.

I personally don’t think Sonny will suspend the gas tax again. He might however, suspend the gas tax at marinas operating on lakes that have good bass fishing. Does that qualify as economic development and tax breaks under our current definition?

18. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Forget Biodiesel and Hybrid engines, Hydrogen will soon be coming. Of course it may be 2o to 30 years away, but the Japanese are way ahead of us on this one. And don’t believe the contrarians who ask where do we get the Hydrogen from? It’s not that difficult to get it from an H2O molecule.

19. bowersville says:

I think pure corn ethanol at the pump is the answer. It will solve our dependence on foreign oil and resolve the Sunday Sales problem at the same time.

20. IndyInjun says:

With all of the aquifers drained by pivot irrigation of corn fields and to supply ethanol plants, WATER prices will also suck.

And, no, Atlanta cannot have water out of our beautiful Savannah River.

21. Doug Deal says:

LIMH,

Hydrogen is not a source of energy. All hydrogen is locked up and requires energy to unlock it. Water is the waste product of combustion of Hydrogen. That means all the energy that is released when you burn hydrogen needs to be put into water to make the hydrogen in the first place.

In short, you already have to have some other energy source to provide the energy, and hydrogen is only an energy transport mechanism.

Hydrogen is also extremely dangerous. One might reference the Hindenburg explosion, or the Challenger explosion to see it in action. Compared to the extreme explosiveness of hydrogen, gasoline or diesel is harmless.

Hydrogen also has a low energy density. Meaning for its volume, it provides a lot less energy. This means you have to take more along. If you take it in the form of a liquid that means cryogenic fuel tanks that have to be reinforced to survive collisions. This is completely impractical.

I wouldn’t invest in Hydrogen as the next energy source.

22. Overincorporated Fulton says:

Instead of expecting the government to bail you out, maybe you should start cutting back on the amount of fuel you use.

Just a thought.

23. rugby_fan says:

Who created a campaign on the false impression that he had acted during his first term as governor, only to have that view come spectacularly crashing down in the first year of his re-election?

Sonny did.

24. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

doug, is that the big oil in you talking? I agree with every point you make, but your looking at it in today’s mindset. When i’m thinking about it a couple of decades away. Did nuclear fission or space travel seem practical in the 18th century?

25. RJL says:

Doug — Just a footnote to your 3:21 comment: there have been advances in the processes of obtaining hydrogen from water and the amount/cost of energy required. Both MIT and VaTech have tested processes using light in the solar spectrum to separate the H. With comparable advances in LED spectrum and intensities, the dots have become a little closer to connect. It is too early to write-off hydrogen.

26. Doug Deal says:

RJL,

MIT scientists still and never will be able to overcome the laws of thermodynamics. Water is the end product of combustion, to go from that to hydrogen and back to water yields at best 0 energy, for a 100% efficient process.

If you are goingto use sunlight to make hydrogen,you might as well turn it into electricty or heat directly.

So, it is really never to early to write of Hydrogen.

27. Doug Deal says:

LIMH,

I had fired chicken for lunch, so the “big oil” in me is REALLY talking.

It’s not the 18th century, but it’s close … De la Terre à la Lune (1865) … where Jules Verne wroe about a trip to the moon.

28. RJL says:

I know; and since you can only see in 3 dimensions there is a natural conflict with the potential 9 or 10 of string theory, duality, branes and Principled Uncertainty.

While it may be comforting to cling to standard models, innovation naturally proceeds from the curious, replacing model after model.

So, it is really never too early to write off anything other than absolute certainty.

29. RJL says:

LMAO! Perfect. Hat tip. Japanese deep-bow.

In honor of good wit, I am happy to set aside substance to another day and concede Match.

30. Doug Deal says:

RJL,

Seriously, though, I used to be a hydrogen supporter until I put some thought into the practical problems associated with it.

It can still have a use, but not as a general purpose fuel. Nuclear power plants are best when run continuously at close to full capacity. During times of low usage, you can simply go into hydrogen production mode. Hydrogen then becomes a type of battery. The power plant would then have a hydrogen geerator that would be tunred on during peak times.

For cars of the future, I think the first step is o make the primary drive system electric, like you have in train engines. In that way, the methodology for electrical generation is up to the user and application.

A small compact commuters car could be purely electrical and derive it’s power from Nuclear sources. A family car occassionally used for long hauls could have a gas tank and a conventional electric generator to extend range to eliminate charging cycles (or even a small LPG cylinder and a modern fuel cell for the same purpose). A constantly moving delivery van could have a hefty generator and large fuel tank and run more like a diesl electric locomotive.

In the end, however, fossil fuels would have their place. They are just too perfect for transportation.

I am not against using hydrogen for some purpose. But it is not a SOURCE of energy.

31. RJL says:

Doug — that all may be true. I am, however, fascinated by developments whereby a miniscule amout of near-free light can separate H into a usable stream, thereby keeping a crack open in the door of potential and preventing a total write-off, which was the sole point of my comment.

L. Ron

32. Doug Deal says:

That miniscule amount of light only makes a miniscule amount of energy.

A hamster on a wheel can also produce a miniscule amount of energy. The key is how efficient and practical the process is.

In fact, you can get a miniscule amount of energy out of a lemon by inserting two rods of different metals in it (try copper and zinc). This forms a batter.

Still, I would not suggest putting a series of hamster cages in the truck, or hauling a bushel of lemons wherever you go.