Thompson to run.

It’s all over the blogoshpere today and it’s certainly no surprise, but it appears Fred Thompson will form a committee to raise money beginning June 4 and formally announce for the Presidency on July 4.

The American Spectator blog raises a good question: Can Fred! meet the lofty expectations placed upon him? Sure, my name is on the list of those who’d support him, but with Fred! winning straw polls all over the place, producing witty responses to Michael Moore etc… it seems to me expectations are sky high. Can he meet them? Can any candidate meet such expectations?

1. SpaceyG says:

Readers of PP rejoice!!! Another actor acting presidential to ease your troubled minds. Praise God and Baby Jesus. Maybe he can conjure up some creative way out of Iraq by Jan. of ’09. Special effects and all.

2. drjay says:

the 1st real test will be the month of june –will his 1st month of fundraisng be like the opening of pirates of the caribean–or ishtar–if he isn’t closer to pirates it may trip him up w/ the expectations game…

3. Michael D says:

Thompson will be the Republican version of Wes Clark in ’04. Everyone thought he’d save the party from the 2nd tier goofballs running, but he turned out to be great on paper and horrible in person. I’m not saying Thompson will crash and burn as quickly as Clark did, but I just don’t see him sweeping in and pleasing all the factions of the party.

4. Tommy_a2b says:

Spacey- Better an actor act than a devil biotch be President. That is if he is an actor acting. You need to remember he was an attorney/politico pre Hunt for Red October (see Water Gate.)

5. GabrielSterling says:

Spacey, you’re probably still just upset that Fred helped bring down a corrupt Democrat Governor.

6. I Am Jacks Post says:

John McCain for President
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

John McCain is the only real conservative in this race.

Only one Republican can win, and it’s John McCain.

The Thompson bubble is bursting (or deflating, if you like).

McCain leads in all polls known to man.

All other candidates should go home now, because John McCain is the only candidate who can win in 2008.

Beat you to it, Bull.

7. Rusty says:

Thompson is peaking early, ain’t he? He’ll be torn to shreds in a GOP primary over his support of 1st trimester abortions. It’s too bad, too, because he has general appeal none of the other candidates can match and is more a real conservative than most of the other candidates.

8. Jace Walden says:

Guys,

There already is a principled main street conservative who is the true heir to the Reagan legacy in the race: That man is John F’ing McCain. John McCain is all that and a bag of potato chips. John McCain is a kind man, a wise man, and honorable man. Sometimes I wish I was a woman so I could bear his child. JOHN MCCAIN IS THE SECOND COMING!!!!

I beat you to it also, Bull.

9. Kepper says:

Fred Thompson is the first presidential candidate that i’m actually excited about running. He’s had a big legal career prior to his Hollywood resume. If interested, I would recommend checking out his Wikipedia page:

He actually plays himself in this movie:
    He went after TN governor Ray Blanton in an investigation that uncovered the governor’s pardon for cash.
    He knows Washington better than a majority of the candidates running for President.

10. debbie0040 says:

As far as a way out Iraq, the only solution I have heard from the Democrats is a cut and run strategy.

Quit picking on Bull, he is excited about his candidate. He is probably the only one that is …

I will support the GOP nominee even if it is John McCain. Even John McCain is better than the Hildebeast or Obama Bin Laden.

Fred Thompson on Abortion
    Click here for 3 full quotes on Abortion OR background on Abortion.
    Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
    Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
    Voted YES on banning human cloning. (Feb 1998)

11. Brian from Ellijay says:

LOL, Jack and Jace.

Of course ya’ll know that Mitt is the man, though. Our bandwagon will gladly accept you as yours runs out of food (ie money, charisma, choices)

12. Jace Walden says:

Brian from Ellijay:

Two things…

(1) Are you still living in Ellijay or going to KSU? If so, I’m pretty close (Woodstock), let me know and I’ll buy you a beer sometime.

(2) Mitt…? The man? Um…no.

13. IndyInjun says:

I do not see Fred Thompson repudiating the Bush Administration’s excesses at all. He is too much a creature of Washington.

I may vote for him, but as of now the GOP corruption is so widespread I will have trouble voting for its candidate.

Probably the most compelling reason to vote for FT is that we cannot afford to have all three branches of government in the hands of EITHER of these godawful parties.

14. tc says:

Call me foolish, but I can’t get enough of the Fred Koo-Aid.

Folksy, smart, shrewd and charismatic.

Besides, what could be more fun than watching libtard heads pop when he wins the election in 2008?

15. tc says:

I’m cool with Fred. He’s smart, folksy and shrewd.

Besides… What could be more fun than watching libtard heads pop after he wins the 2008 election?

16. Jmac says:

Just to make sure it’s clear here … Southern conservatives who want to repudiate what they refer to as ‘the Hollywood culture’ are turning to … an actor to do so (and not a particularly good one either).

There’s an element of irony here, isn’t there?

17. IndyInjun says:

Jmac

No more irony than they show in embracing John Linder’s tax scam after he voted for massive unfunded spending that destroys the assumptions upon which the former is based.

The GOP is grasping at straws, instead of introspectively examining their party. THAT will be forced upon them after 2008.

18. Demonbeck says:

Irony is meeting the man/woman of your dreams and then meeting his beautiful/handsome wife/husband.

I thought we established the definition of irony yesterday.

19. Bull Moose says:

No, he cannot meet the expectations. No one could. The press has set him up where he will not meet them.

A lot of his appeal was based on people’s misinformed notion of his policy’s positions and his role as a District Attorney on Law and Order.

Jacks Post already said it for me, but it needs repeating. The consistent conservative in the race is John McCain.

As well, those who trump Thompson as a Conservative Savior and discredit McCain’s own solid Conservative credentials are trully dilusional. They have nearly an identical voting record from the Senate. If you talk down McCain’s own conservative positions, be ready to be called a HYPOCRITE when you praise Thompson for the same positions.

20. Brian from Ellijay says:

Started classes back today Jace. I am open to beer, anywhere on 575 is good for me.

Heres my cell 770-256-8394