House Republicans and Corruption

Picking up on Erick’s efforts to get a clear answer from John Linder on whether or not he voted in the House Steering Committee to appoint Ken Calvert to the House Appropriations Committee, I thought this article was very relevant.

Props to Erick and Red State too for a mention, “Calvert says the FBI has not contacted him and he has no reason to believe he is a target. But that hasn’t stopped the widely read conservative blog RedState.com from repeatedly denouncing Calvert’s appointment to the Appropriations Committee.”

Anyway, I think I may have been the only one to go up to Linder at the GOP Convention and ask him about this and I didn’t get a very friendly response.  He basically told me I didn’t have the facts.  Anyway, I guess the voters will decide what the facts are on this ongoing matter.

Can’t we just all agree, Republicans and Democrats, that we should have a ZERO tolerance on corruption and those who would support the status quo of corruption?  Doesn’t our democracy deserve at least that?  How can we continue to ask our military to fight for freedom and democracy in Iraq and tolerate such corruption here in our own government?

1. Bull Moose says:

A good first start would be for a corageous Republican or Democrat to stand up and in the House and call for the suspension of committee assignments, voting rights, and floor privileges of the Members under suspicion until such time as they are cleared of corruption allegations.

Those Members are:
    R’s: Miller, Murphy, Renzi, Doolittle, Calvert, and Lewis
    D’s: Jefferson and Mollohan, and I guess now Scott too of GA

2. kendrial says:

I am not a utopian dreamer. There will always be corrupt people, but should they be representing us in our government? I was shocked at the number of people who were kissing the but of Ralph Reed at the GOP convention. After all the crap he has put the party through? I just don’t get it! Its not like the Abramoff scandal is small deal (It was on the cover of the weekly standard), but people just don’t seem to care. They are much more concerned with getting their picture made with Mr. Career Politician then who is giving who tax breaks and who is contributing to who’s campaign. That’s all I am now stepping off the soapbox. Thank you, Bull for asking the important questions.

3. Bull Moose says:

I’m sure in some quarters that people thought I was being disloyal when they read my post.

Well, I guess if you are more concerned with power and not principles, it would be easy to miss the point.

I’m a Republican because I believe in the power of the individual. However, I believe that strengthened individualism can and should lead to a strengthened community. Some of today’s conservatives have forgotten that basic principle ant it’s beginning to have a dramatic affect on our party. In my opinion, most Democrats believe that a strong community produces better individuals. I’m really dumbing down my political viewpoint here.

Corruption is not a tenant of a healthy democracy, good government, or a successful political party. I would think that everyone would be very tired of corruption. Yes, like Kendrial said, there are always going to be corrupt people, but that doesn’t mean we have to lower the bar of expectations for those serving in public service.

It would take me at least a few thousand words to further illustrate my point on how corruption is destroying the basic fabric of our country and how it affects every element of policy.

4. IndyInjun says:

When a party is as corrupt as the GOP, there is no cause for loyalty.

Reed should be shunned until he takes the hint and finds another line of work.

5. Adam Smith says:

Bull Moose, while I agree with many things you say, I must disagree with your call for the suspension…rights…Members under suspicion until such time as they are cleared of corruption allegations.

Are you really suggesting that an allegation of corruption should be enough to restrict the representation of the people?

If that is the case, I accuse all Demos of corruption. Suspend their rights, and we Repubs can do whatever we want in the legislature. That is, we can do what we want until somebody accuses all Repubs of corruption.

To suspend on allegations is to punish for allegations. All allegations need to be proven before punishment is handed down. To do otherwise is to invite corrupt allegations.

6. Bull Moose says:

I agree, the accusation must have merit to suspend voting rights. How about I modify my stance and say that any INDICTED Member be suspended?