Tributary

Maybe some of you know about this. Christy and I took an interest (me mostly) in Tributary — that planned community just outside of Douglasville, south of 6 flags, a while back. Christy was telling me that she heard yesterday that because of the downturn in the housing market, a lot of the homes have been designed as Section 8 housing — something people paying $300,000.00 for a home probably would not want to have in their ritzy planned neighborhood.

Anyone know what’s up? Is this true?

1. Bill Simon says:

Don’t have any idea about Tributary, Erick.

But, if a nice $300,000 house is what you’re looking for, c’mon and move up to East Cobb County. 😉

2. Harry says:

Based on my observation, Atlanta’s black population is becoming more dispersed throughout the entire Atlanta MSA. Much of the cheap and/or government housing in Atlanta has been torn down or fallen into disrepair and no longer meets code. These people have nowhere else to go.

3. EAVDad says:

I’d have a hard time believing that some of Tributary’s homes would be designed as “section 8.” Sometimes the terms “affordable housing” and “section 8” are used interchangeably, which is too bad. However, having been out there to look at homes, I don’t think any of them qualify as Section 8 OR “affordable.” And my understanding is that they are selling quite well, although not for as much as they had hoped.

4. Erick says:

EAVDad, that’s what I would have thought as well; however, several members of my wife’s family and a teacher who teaches in the school district Tributary is in have said that some of the homes in the commons area of Tributary have been designated specifically as “Section 8.”

That blows my mind. You are right — none of them look like they’d qualify as Section 8.

Tributary is an area I’d seriously consider moving into if we ever moved up to Atlanta. It’s beautifully done.

5. Chris says:

Tributary’s problem, in my mind at least – is that there are few jobs out that way, and that I20 is a lousy road – especially going east in the morning.

Point of clarification though. Did you mean to say some of the houses were originally designed to be section 8 or designated section 8 recently due to the housing slump?

6. Chris says:

Wow – ok – that then changes the story a bit. Thats says something serious about the state of the housing market.

7. Tribres says:

This is a FALSE rumor about Tributary. These are the facts:

Section 8 subsidized housing is affordable housing targeted for low income residents. None
    of Tributary’s homes come close to the required price points. Nor can they with
    their architectural requirements.

To have Section 8 you have receive HUD
    appoval. To do that you have to apply. Tributary has not done that. Tributary is
    concerned with building value over 3000 units. Section 8 is counter to that.

Finally, Tributary’s CA monthly assessment is way to high to meet gov’t Section 8 requirements. They couldn’t do it if they wanted to.

Before posting inaccurate information, and potentially ruining a great development with false rumors, it would be nice to get the facts first.