Now I know Fox News is biased

Have you seen the front page of Fox News.com today?

They’re playing up this controversy involving David Scott like it’s the second coming of Christ. I mean just look at their headline…

“House Dem $tars in ‘All in the Family’

Mired in tax liens, Georgia Rep. David Scott used $500G from campaign to pay family ‘workers,’ paper reports”

When you read that it sounds like Congressman Scott is as crooked as a question mark, but I don’t believe he is. All I see is David Scott wanting to use his family to work on his campaigns and I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Regarding the tax liens against David Scott and his company, it just serves as further proof that our tax system is far too complicated and needs to be reformed. When you’ve got intelligent people such as David Scott’s wife making mistakes, you know something is seriously wrong.

This isn’t some big lobbying scandal such as the one involving Tom DeLay, Ralph Reed, and Jack Abramoff. This is just Republicans using petty politics to try and bring down a Congressman who has been re-elected overwhelmingly by his constituents three times.

1. I Am Jacks Post says:

First of all, the “re-elected overwhelmingly” thing doesn’t prove Rep. Scott is an ethical character. William Jefferson, even after it was determined he was hiding stacks of Benjamins behind his Hungry Man dinners, the wise and discerning people of New Orleans still thought he was worthy of public service. There are plenty of other examples of voters looking the other way while their elected representatives engaged in poor behavior.

I’ll concede the point that our tax system is far too complicated and ought to be scrapped, but it’s pretty outrageous to imply that his tax liens are the merely the product of a confusing tax code.

You suggest that it’s not against the law to pay your family members with campaign funds. It may not be a direct violation of the law, but it’s pretty arrogant, especially to the extent that Rep. Scott engaged in. And it shows lack of sound judgment. He clearly never asked himself, “is paying members of my family a fortune in consulting fees, etc, the wise thing to do.” Or perhaps he did, and did it anyway. Campaigns shouldn’t be a jobs program for your extended family.

2. Federalist says:

Was there any doubt in anybody’s mind that Fox News is the most biased name in news? Say what you want about msnbc or cnn, but they atleast shoot for the center get the lion’s share of the viewers. I guess that is why viewership is down 14.9%/.

3. Paul Shuford says:

You may not like Fox news, but $500,000 in payments to members of his family from his campaign? That seems more than a little shady.

4. joe says:

David Scott is my representative, and what bothers me most is not that he may or may not be a bad bookkeeper, or may or may not have made illegal payments. We will eventually get something resembling the truth on that. What bothers me is that neither Scott nor is business is in my district. Living in the district is being made an issue in the 10th CD race, and it should also be an issue in the 13th. Scott could move, but apparently 5 years is not long enough to find the right house.

5. Federalist says:

it should not be an issue. Big deal if a person does not live in the district, that does not mean they can not represent it effectively. If Whitehead got elected in the 10th, I could think of atleast 100 people that live in california that would do a better job.

6. Mike Hauncho says:

Federalist,

If you think a person does not need to live in their district then you are way off. Do you really want someone making decisions about the way you live and ow your taxes are spent when they don’t even live in that district? That means they get to play with your money and your votes and do not have to live with the decisions they make. I think every congressman needs to reside in their district.

7. Federalist says:

In these days of advanced democracy, we have this thing called virtual representation. I doubt you have heard of it, that would require studying politics. My representative is not a college professor, nor was he a Democrat…how far do you want to take this? Representing people can be done very effectively with opinion polls, and when you are dealing with an issue that people do not understand you lead them with good policy. it is called being a politico rather than a delegate or trustee.

8. joe says:

Gee, what a novel idea. How about virtual constituency? Let me vote in whatever district I want.

9. Federalist says:

nevermind joe, I am not going to waste my time explaining this to you. Look it up yourself, and virtual representation as it applies to modern American governance, not the British virtual representation philosophy of the 17th and 18th centuries.

10. Trackboy1 says:

I remember those good ole days when a guy’s wife and kids would work for his campaign for free…

And those days when elected officials didn’t have 40 tax liens against their home & business…

11. Paul Shuford says:

“Representing people can be done very effectively with opinion polls, and when you are dealing with an issue that people do not understand you lead them with good policy. it is called being a politico rather than a delegate or trustee.”

Really? Do you have any evidence that Scott is doing so? I’ve lived in his district for years and he, nor his representatives, have ever asked me what I thought about anything.

12. Federalist says:

well mr shuford, not everything is about you. I was represented by Norwood, and he was the worst representative I have ever had…but that does not matter in a democratic republic now does it?

13. Andre Walker says:

Paul,

Have you ever tried contacting Congressman Scott’s office?

I have. And whenever I contact them, they seem more than willing to help answer any questions I may have.

Instead of sitting around waiting for the Congressman to come to you, why don’t you go to him?

14. jackson says:

Considering David Scott hasnt really had an opponent since he got elected, why the need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on campaigns?

It’s ludicrous to assume that he was just spending what you need to spend on a campaign to win. Has anyone compared what he spent on his campaign to other Congressmen that didnt really have opponents?

Let the FOX News thing go people. The reason that has such strong viewership is that folks got tired of the media that was supposed to be “unbiased” taking sides. FOX News had great coverage of Abramhoff, etc. Even worse, if this was a Republican, Andre and the rest would be on him like white on rice.

FYI, the Politico, who broke the story, is not a partisan site folks.

Message to David Scott: You are a congressman for goodness sake. Pay your damn taxes like the rest of us. If you cant figure it out, hire someone (besides your wife) to do your taxes, like most folks that own small businesses. Jeez. What a loser.

15. joe says:

Andre,

I tried at a townhall meeting, but I found a closed mind that was not even willing to consider a different idea.

16. Jason Pye says:

In these days of advanced democracy…

Funny, I remember our Constitution guaranteeing a republican form of government. You never see the word democracy anywhere.

17. Donkey Kong says:

If I posted an example of every time CNN demonstrated their liberal bias, I’d have more posts on PP than all contributors combined. Fox News is just doing the same thing to the Dems that CNN does to the GOP every day.

18. Donkey Kong says:

Jason,

True, but we have digressed more and more into a democracy from a Republic, with the first big step being the 17th Amendment.

19. Holly says:

You know, I think a lot of the slants are unintentional, but they do exist. The very first class in j-school will show you that the AP does a terrible job with word choice, for example. If I can go through any article in the major media outlets today with a red pen to circle words that are considered “leading”, there would be red marks all over the page. But again, I think a lot of it is oversight.