“Saving the Cure” is now law

According to Insider Advantage, Sonny Perdue has signed the Saving The Cure Act (SB 148) into law:

The bill authorizes the Georgia Newborn Umbilical Cord Blood Bank to collect and store stem cells from postnatal tissue and fluid. It also creates the Georgia Commission to Save the Cure to oversee the bank and promote “principled and ethical stem cell research.”

“Stem cells from the umbilical cord are being used now to treat disease,” said Shafer. “Postnatal stem cells can be collected without harm to either the newborn baby or mother and without destroying human life at any stage of development.”

He added, “Keone Penn waited for over a year before doctors finally found an umbilical cord stem cell that was a close enough match. It is tragic that umbilical cord blood is treated as medical waste and routinely thrown away.”

Georgia Right To Life said that with the governor’s signature on the bill, “Georgia immediately emerges as a national leader in ethical stem cell research. Governor Perdue’s signature signals that Georgia wants to create an environment where stem cells are widely available from sources other than the human embryo and where collection of these stem cells will not result in the destruction of human life.”

H/T: David Shafer

1. SpaceyG says:

Yeah!!! This is great news. When I gave birth at Piedmont Hospital, seven years ago, they would show you the cord, then when you asked about a program for preserving cells from it, they’d say “Ain’t got one” and toss it out. Pissed me off. Believe me, after all the hard work I put into making one of those things, I was not happy to know it was just being tossed aside. I mean I gave up cigs and booze and coffee and oysters to grow an umbilical cord, etc. It was worth millions to me alone.

Excellent signing work, Sonny!

2. Bull Moose says:

Great legislation! Thank you Senator Shafer for writing a bill that took much political courage. Thank you Governor Perdue for signing the bill.

3. gatormathis says:

So…..one person’s trash really could be another person’s treasure.

My ph.d is mainly in posthole digging.

My exstensive knowledge of stem cells, cloning, and all the other new contraversial buzzwords don’t stretch out to far.

I’ll tell you straight out, I don’t really know how I feel about people trying to start another fetus to help “grow” a “cure” for another ailment.

To even fathom that there might be a possibility that any kind of medical good could be derived from a “waste” product is wonderful.

To think that something previously sent to the landfill or incinerator, might be assisting a loved one beat cancer or another terminal disease is a dream come true.

Tommorrow morning I’ll attend the funeral for a freind I’ve known since grade school. He is a victim of pancreatic cancer, and has fought a tough fight against it.

If a cure for pancreatic cancer or any other killing disease lies within the bottom of a waste basket, so be it.

I’d say, “Dig it out and get going”. “Take em some of that cord blood too”. Let’s get the show on the road.

If it’ll help get the upper hand on cancer, anybody would sign the consent form for the cord to be used, because hardly anyone dosen’t have a family member affected by the disease.

Sonny knows a good bill when he sees one.

And he probably don’t like cancer much either.

4. Federalist says:

it is still not enough, every years thousands of expired embryos are incinerated rather than used for research. (thankyou W for your ignorance and irresponsibility)

5. Tommy_a2b says:

To Buck- The full article about the bill can be found at Sen. Shafer’s blog. ( http://www.davidshafer.org/ ) The article says that insurance companies will pay $30,000 or more for a stem cell sample and that the bank is designed to be self supporting or even profitable. Sen. Shafer says he will seek start up money next year in the 2009 state budget. Also, when I have heard Sen. Shafer speak about this bill, he has mentioned the availability of federal grants through the National Cord Blood Program.

To Federalist – Embryonic stem cell research has not cured anything. Sen. Shafer wants to focus state funds on the types of research that are delivering cures. I call that both being both morally and fiscally responsible.

To Sen. Shafer – Congratulations on your hard work!

6. Federalist says:

if the moratorium on providing federal funding, the sky would be the limit in stem cell research. You can not discover anything with out means to such ends. Morally? two years ago 400,000 embryos were incinerated rather than being used for stem cell research. 400,000 embryos…that is a slap in the face to any body that has a loved one with alzheimers, parkinsons, diabetes even. Who is the moral one in this respect? Every year these frozen, left over embryos expire and are no longer useful to the reproductive retail market, and there are thousands (not always 400,000, but that was an anomoly) every year that can be used to better the quality of life for just as many americans. Think about this from a healthcare cost, stand point even. I personally do not like the U.S. being 2nd in anything, but north korea has surpassed the U.S. in stem cell research. I applaud this measure, it is a step in the correct direction, but like I said…it is still not enough.

7. bowersville says:

Yes and North Korea has surpassed the US in the starvation of it’s people…not a point that supports you’re position.

8. Terry OMalley says:

Those numbers, Fed, are totally bogus. There were not 400,000 embryos “incinerated” last year. That is the total number of embryos in storage and the vast majority of those – 90% – are reserved for reproduction.

Setting aside morality for a moment, the nonembryonic research Sen. Shafer is advocating offers more immediate hope than the embryonic research – which has not cured anything, anywhere, even among animals.

Embryonic cells require “mouse feeder cells” to reproduce, are more difficult to manipulate in the lab, form tumors called “teratomas” when injected in animals and are often rejected in transplants.

You are right on one point. Countries like North Korea and China, with an entirely different concept of morality (forced abortion and infanticide), are the world leaders in embryonic research. I am not bothered that they are ahead of us.

Shafer’s approach is better science, better medicine and the kind of research ethics that Americans should practice.

9. Federalist says:

Whatever omalley, it was 2 years ago, and 400,000 is the right number. See to get your moneys worth, a bunch of eggs are fertilized not just one. This way if the body rejects the parasite (fetus) you can have the next put in without waiting for fertilization and such. These embryos can only be frozen for so longer before they are rendered useless. I will post the article in a few minutes, I am having a problem with my lexis-nexis account.

10. buckmckenzie says:

So, there is no funding for the bank from the state at this point. Is the intent to save all cords from GA births or just some or none really? If I have a baby tommorow, where do I send the cord blood? Who is going to put up the money to type and store it? Just expecting to make money from insurance companies to keep this afloat? Sounds ‘pie in the sky’ to me.

Accordingly, I don’t see how this will promote research, since scientists aren’t going to pony up 30k for a cord blood sample. Is there really such a demand among scientists for cord blood samples-is this documented? And if the intent is simply to bank cord blood for bone marrow transplant patients, does the state of GA need to be involved? Don’t such clinically-oriented banks already exist? Finally, when it comes to bone marrow tranplant, aren’t cord blood transplants typically used as a source of stem cells when patients don’t have living matched donors in the family or identified donor registry?

In the end, I’m not sure who is benefitting. At least the state isn’t wasting money on it.

11. Federalist says:

Sorry Omalley, this was not posted on FoxNews, I hope you are tolerant enough to still believe it.

12. Christian says:

buckmckenzie – Cord Blood Stem Cells already save lives – this is not for research like Embryonic – this is for treating leukemia, sickle cell, and over 70 diseases that are already being cured with the “real” stem cells. Doctors will pay 30,000 to save lives – maybe yours.

The reason you may be ignorant of such important facts, is that you get your news from the wrong sources.

I caution everyone from quoting “facts” from sites like http://www.Dailynewscentral.com like our poor friend Federalist. You wind up thinking that Embryonic Stem Cells are the answer, when they are really a distraction.

13. Federalist says:

dailynewscentral was the only link, I was not about to cut and paste any of the articles on lexis-nexis into pp, but there are articles about this same exact event from the Ny Times, Sun Sentinel, SF Chronicle, the Post, etc. I can not post the link because it is set up through a proxy.

14. joe says:

“…that is a slap in the face to any body that has a loved one with alzheimers, parkinsons, diabetes even.”

Federalist,

Failure to use my tax dollars is not a slap in anybodies face. Let all of those people who want stem cell research donate their money, and give me back some of the taxes that I paid. Then it won’t be a slap in my face.

15. Federalist says:

preferring to incinerate 400,000 embryos rather than using them for research is a slap in the face. The embryos is being discarded either way, you may as well use it for something useful.

16. joe says:

Fine, use them for whatever you want. Just don’t expect me (or my taxes) to pay for the use.

17. Jason Pye says:

Joe is right. Stem cell research should not be funded by the federal government. Nor should abortion. Nor should peanut research…nor anything else that isn’t specifically mandated by the Constitution.

18. Federalist says:

you know joe, we can say that with all sorts of things. I don’t want to pay taxes that are allocated to the war in Iraq. As a matter of fact, most people do not want their tax money to fund that war. Most people support embryonic stem cell research, why shouldn’t their tax money pay for such a popular program?

19. joe says:

Carefull Jason, you may be accused of supporting the Tenth Amendment. (Federalist that is tongue in cheek)

20. Tommy_a2b says:

To Buck – Sen. Shafer had already secured a $750,000 appropriation to upgrade the existing umbilical cord stem cell facility at the Medical College of Georgia before the bill even passed. He says he will seek additional funds in next year’s budget, and I would not underestimate him. The bill has a three year phase in, creating the commission this year, the bank next year and the program the year after. There is a definite medical need for these umbilical stem cells, especially among minority demographic groups. Keone Penn, the young man cured of sickle cell anemia by an umbilical stem cell, waited over a year for doctors to find a stem cell that was a close enough match. His example inspired Sen. Shafer to introduce this legislation.

To Federalist – A fetus is not a “parasite,” and your suggestion that is brings everything else you have said on this subject into question.

To Sen. Shafer – Do not let the skeptics and self described “nihlists” like Buck and Federalist get you down!

21. Tommy_a2b says:

To All – And, furthermore, insurance companies will pay up to $30,000 or more for these stem cell samples when used for medical treatment. $30,000 for stem cells that are thrown away! This is a good investment for Georgia.

22. Federalist says:

look up the word parasite. use the word as an adjective, and then tell me I am wrong.

23. Terry OMalley says:

I looked up “parasite” in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Federalist, and this is what it said:

“an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment”

Mother and baby are of the same species, Fed, even when the baby is just an embryo or a fetus.

That 400,000 number from “Daily News Central” is as wrong as your definition of parasite. Some have in fact estimated that as many as 400,000 embryos are in storage, although many believe that that estimate is exaggerated. In any event, 90% of the embryos in storage are reserved for future implantation, including adoption, and no one has suggested that 400,000 are being destroyed each year.

24. Federalist says:

many believe does not count. look up the word specie and you maybe disturbed. an embryo lacks speciation since it is unable to reproduce.

25. Terry OMalley says:

“Many believe” that the estimate of 400,000 embryos in storage is exagerrated, but “no one” is suggesting that 400,000 embryos are discarded every year. The statement at “Daily News Central” is unsourced and clearly an error.

Human embryos, fetuses and infants all belong to the species “homo sapien” along with their human adult mothers and fathers. Preadolescent children cannot reproduce either. Are you saying they are of a different “species” than their parents?

You and BuckMcKenzie are morons.

26. Federalist says:

believing does not count omalley. it is a convenience, and a shallow one at that. like is said, the other articles that i pulled from lexis-nexis do not have working hyperlinks. go to ln and look it up, and you will find numerous sourced articles. everytime I put the hyperlinks for the nyt articles and so forth, the sign in screen would pop up. I am saying that a fetus lacks speciation. you are a moron. (i can play the name game too)