You Tube Warriors.

Left wing uber-blogger Daily Kos has issued a call to arms for the Kos Kids:

Every appearance by a top Republican official or candidate should be recorded. Every one of them.

All it takes is one “Macaca” incident to transform a race or create one where one didn’t exist. As the Montana incident blogged earlier today showed, a video can knock out prospective candidates before they even enter.

This has prompted a response from right-wing bloggers such as David All at techRepublican.com. All thinks the right should do the same:

The bottom line is that any serious campaign effort – from City Council to POTUS – should have a two camera strategy — one on the opponent and one on their own guy to help add context to a “macaca” moment and “flood the zone” to deflate organic YouTube search results.

These aren’t “gotcha” politics. These are modern tactics for modern times.

Mark Taylor used You Tube type videos very effectively against Cathy Cox, and now Jim Whitehead is being attacked in similar fashion. How it will impact the race for CD 10 is yet to be seem, but there no doubt in my mind we’ll see more and more of this tactic in the future.

The ability to record and publish every word a politician says it not all bad in my mind. Politicians should be more transparent. So to all you candidates and politicians out there beware, someone’s watching.

Other discussion on this subject:Jeff Jarvis and Dean Barnett

1. jackson says:

I like the idea, though not always feesible (especially as you get down the ballot) however, what does this have to do with Whitehead, Buzz?

They took some quote he said he said 3 years ago as a joke (in the context of the setting) and are now saying that’s what he thinks about UGA. That’s been how stupid politicians like Broun and Greene (who I am sure in time it will be revealed the idiotic things they have said) use to try and win elections when they dont have anything good to say.

I havent seen ONE you tube video of Whitehead saying anything crazy. Misconstrued newspaper quotes? Yes. Video? No.

2. Doug Deal says:

This is the country that I want to live in, where we are remembered by our worst mistakes and not our accomplishments.

Bravo to Daily KOS for raising the decorum yet another notch. Hate filled is not just an adjective anymore, but a way of life.

3. buzzbrockway says:

jackson,

I wasn’t slamming Whitehead, I was attempting to point out that people are using You Tube videos to attack him. While it’s not part of the Kos Kids activities it is an example of how new media is impacting a political race.

4. Rusty says:

What’s interesting to me is that if a camera were placed on all politicians at every event they ever went to, one of two things could happen:

1) You would never hear anything resembling a candid remark again. The last shred of humanity would be sucked out of politics.

or

2) Nearly all of them would be caught saying something stupid at some point, and we’d reach a point where people get desensitized to stupid remarks. And then maybe politicians could feel like it’s okay to be a little more human.

My money would be on two.

Doug,
    Should Jim Whitehead be remembered as a football hero?

5. matth says:

Doug, seriously, wtf? Hate-filled is no longer an adjective?

How is it vitriolic to hold a government official responsible for what they say in a public venue, which is what we’re talking about here. It’s one thing to be constantly assaulted for private discussions, it’s another issue altogether to somehow be above having to confront what you say to a reporter or a crowd.

Apparently, nonsensical isn’t just an adjective anymore, but a way of life for some commenters here.

6. buzzbrockway says:

Doug,

I agree about the Kos Kids. They want to destroy the opponent, not defeat him/her through superior ideas.

Nevertheless, the proliferation of camera phones, palm sized camcorders and other recording devices means people should assume they’re always being recorded.

As I said, politicians should be more transparent. You can’t get away with saying one thing to one group and another thing to another group. That is a positive development in my opinion.

7. Doug Deal says:

matth,

It is not about getting out truth, it’s about finding an edited sound bite or manufacturing a situation that you can film and publish with a ridiculous title like “The Truth about X”.

Go through everything you have ever said in your life. Have you ever misstated something due to what is colloquially known as a “brain fart”? Have you ever accidentally used a spoonerism, the wrong word, misstated a numerical fact or been in a bad mood or tired?

How would you like if every second of everything you say in your daily life was peered over by people motivated by irrational hatred of you?

I am sure reels and reels of video could be filmed to show that portray you to be just about anything the videographer wants.

Daily KOS has no intent to post the video’s that show the candidate in a positive light, just the negative. His intent is to manipulate (or have other manipulate) the images to give an unrealistic representation of the people he hates (nothing that KOS publishes is anything other than hate filled tripe).

How about putting forth an agenda and championing a political philosophy instead of trying to create monsters out of people you do not even know?

Oh yeah, I forgot, the Dems are bankrupt of anything that could be labeled an idea.

8. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

If either side used cameras to put a check on politicians being all things to all people, I find the idea admirable. However, the intent by KOS is clear, find a “Macaca” incident, even if it has to be manufactured or at least creatively edited.

I think we want to elect people who, like most of us, have frustrations, annoyances and emotions, and not bland robotic automatons like Gore. Do we want political operatives (who are hardly examples of ethics in action) to goad every candidate into a response that they can film for You Tube?

Maybe they can even threaten the candidates’ children and see what response that reveals for the camera! Wouldn’t THAT be cool?

9. Skeptical says:

Doug,

If you don’t want a “Macaca” incident then make sure you have a candidate that can leave his/her racist/homophobic/sexist/etc bullshit at home in his/her closet with their Klan robes.

10. SpaceyG says:

Who’s going to pay for all that “any monkey and a DV cam” stuff? Or are we supposed to just do it because we, like, give a damn about our political process?

Like I’d know a thing about that…

11. matth says:

Doug,

“Is this what you want in politics? You want a never-ending barrage of smear after smear? Would you be so happy about the Republicans doing the same to your candidates, or would you be aghast that the Republicans could stoop so low?”

I worked for a pro-life Democratic congressional candidate in Texas that had to endure days and days of commercials from the RCCC falsely claiming he was a baby killer. You think this stuff doesn’t happen constantly? At the very least with video we’ve got the candidate’s real words.

12. griftdrift says:

“Is this what you want in politics? You want a never-ending barrage of smear after smear? Would you be so happy about the Republicans doing the same to your candidates, or would you be aghast that the Republicans could stoop so low? ”

You’re right, Doug. It’s the reason I tune to AM750 every day to hear the soothing music.

13. Doug Deal says:

matth,
    So was it wrong when the Republican did this? When you were around your fellow Democrats, did you say “wow, what a wonderfully run campaign, the way he smeared and attacked our candidate”?

gd,
    I have better things to do with my time than listen to talk radio, but if you think it is bad, then why would you want your side to do it. You must approve.

At least the people on radio attach their name to their product and suffer the repercussions of what they say, unlike people who use nicknames such as griftdrift or mathh.

Both of you,
    Pointing out that you are disgusted with something that Republicans are doing will only win my argument for me. If it is wrong when your opponent does it, it is just as wrong when you do it.

14. Jmac says:

I think Doug’s final comment addresses this is a universal problem with politics, not just immune to one party or one blog.

It’s not right that we attempt to tear candidates down, rather than simply debate ideas.

15. Doug Deal says:

Jmac,

That’s the core of my belief, but I know it is not one held by a majority of people involved in politics.

I like to use the analogy of a sports fan. When your reciever gets bumps, its a clear case of passing interference, when its the opponents reciever, its a “ticky tack” call and the refs should “let them play”.

Our system does not work, if we take a win at all cost attitude. A lot of good people do not run for office because of people like KOS and his kin on the other side of the isle. Instead, we are left with our current gang of politicans, and it will only get worse with this nonsense. From city council to President, all but a handfull need to be thrown out of office.

16. griftdrift says:

Mr. Deal. I believe you miss my point that it’s rather silly to point to those hideous people on the left while ignoring that it is also a daily matter of course for their equivalent on the right.

You also miss the point of internet handles. And the fact that I have never been anonymous.

Not that I’m really surprised.

17. Doug Deal says:

grift,

I am the one making the point that it is wrong when either side uses search and destroy tactics, you are the one excusing the activities on the left.

It was KOS who made the suggestion that this was the proper course of action, not RedState or some conservative blog. It just further demonstrates the moral bankrupt nature of liberals. The only wrong that can be committed by a liberal in your mind is siding with a moderate or conservative.

18. griftdrift says:

I always find it interesting when just because someone disagrees with a particular person they are automatically assumed to be a liberal, a socialist or god forbid a democrat. Why actually do a little research when making assumptions is so much easier? We are a society of convenience after all.

“It is the compliance and acceptance of people like you that make the Democratic Party so unappealing to anyone with any sense of decency or personal dignity.”

Yes, yes, Brother Deal, preach on about the virtues of raising the decorum in the political arena. I can surely feel my heart converting to the righteous way.

19. Doug Deal says:

gd,

Oh, I am sorry, you are clearly a conservative, excuse my ignorance. Pretend to be anything you want, the fact remains that the left on cares more about crushing the right than enacting anything of substance.

You, KOS, and mathh are clear examples of that. Criticize your own publicly once in a while, and perhaps you will have the slightest bit of credibility.

20. griftdrift says:

Never said I was a conservative either. And if you took the 20 seconds necessary to do a bit of looking, you might even discover I’m no fan of Kos. Guess I’ll have to work a little harder to reach your high standards of credibility.

But whatever. If it makes you feel better to bear false witness, please continue.

I just find it, and I will try to be kind here, rather disingenous to suddenly be horrified when one side starts fighting back using the same tactic the other side has been using for over a decade.

Do you need me to get you a fainting couch?

21. Jmac says:

But here’s where you fall into what would appear to be what you decry. I’m perfectly content in saying that, yes, there are folks on the left (some folks who have diaries and post at Kos and not necessarily Markos himself) who engage in this type of behavior. However, I think grift is pointing out that this happens all the way around.

For every criticism that can be leveled about Kerry’s campaign last year and the perception it was obsessed with searching for ‘bad news’ … I can also say the same thing about those supporting Bush and their charges that ‘voting for Kerry was voting for the terrorists.’

Consider the National Review. It has things like ‘Hillary Watch’ and ‘The Truth About Obama’ which has a sole purpose of demeaning those candidates personally . Consider the furor over John Edwards’s haircut. There’s nothing remotely related to policy over there.

Politics has turned bad all the way around. So while I agree with you Doug that, yes, it is bad, it sort of sidetracks your point when you make partisan claims against Democrats.

This shouldn’t be tit-for-tat.

22. Doug Deal says:

GD,

Show me where one widely read columnist or blogger that is recognized as being a champion of the right has publicly called for what KOS is calling for here? I would equally condemn them as well.

Of course, like all people with fringe philisophical leanings, you are perfectly in the middle of the road. Somehow the left is always right and the right is always wrong, but yes, you are indeed the perfect example of moderation.

If it is wrong for the right it is wrong for the left. Of course you are too much the mindless partisan to agree to that.

I will claim victory and move on. Have fun.

23. griftdrift says:

Actually I do agree both are frequently wrong. Something that I have pointed out on more than one occasion.

And thank you for pointing out that I do attempt to achieve moderation. I take it you’ve actually taken the 20 seconds to read some of my stuff? That’s very cool. Please feel free to drop the occasional comment. All views are always welcome.

Oh wait! I just got to the part where you continue to accuse me of being a mindless partisan.

Ah well. And just when I thought we were making progress.

24. Jmac says:

Doug, are you asking if a conservative blogger/columnist has specifically requested we scrutinize every statement uttered by every liberal candidate? That, I’ll concede, may be difficult to track down.

However, that’s one aspect of a larger problem, isn’t it? I mean, I’ve seen a considerable number of Republican commentators unleash on Democratic candidates in nothing that closely resembles policy discussions. And I’ve seen Democratic bloggers/columnists call out their own for bad policy, distasteful campaigning, etc. (as I have seen with Republicans as well).

25. Doug Deal says:

grift,

That’s acceptable.

But, if you wonder why people don’t read your website it might be that it is not all that pleasant to read light text on a black background. Black backgrounds are cool for kids in high school who engrave “AC/DC”, “Def Leppard” or whatever it is those types of kids are engraving on their desks these days, but for a blog about politics, it is pretty non reader friendly.

If you do not want people to think of you as a whacked out liberal appologist, then don’t try to defend things like this idea by KOS by saying it’s okay because the evil baddy Republicans do it. I attack what I think is unjust, destructive, ill considered, irrational, against personal freedom or scapegoatesque, no matter what side it comes from.

If it was up to me, both parties would appeal to me equally, and I would have a true choice. Sadly it increasingly comes down to which side produces the least amount of nausia.

26. griftdrift says:

Exactly where did I defend Kos?

I’ll take the criticism on the my blog’s format under consideration.

Sorry it was so difficult on your eyes that it prevented you from actually knowing anything about my views before pigeon holing me in your convenient little stereotypes.

27. Doug Deal says:

JMAC,

I probably spent too much time reading the Democratic underground over the past two Presidential cycles, and it may bias my view a bit. There, the concensus encourages doing the sleazy thing while a small minority are labeled conservative plants because they ask for reason.

You see people going for the sleazy solution on Free Republic, but the consensus that normally prevails is one that sides against the unethical and immoral (although there it is a lot closer of a call than anyone should be comfortable with).

I wish people cared more about the well being of the nation, if even slightly against their own personal interest (i.e. not getting that speacial perk you want), than the well being of some silly political party that really has no agenda other than to maintain power at all costs.

If it suited them, who thinks the Republicans or Democrats would not throw any category of their supporters to the wolves for 2 years of majority?

28. Doug Deal says:

grift,

I am primarily concerned about what I here and we are discussing this topic. I am glad that you are not as monolithic as you seem on this web site (even if this is more perception than anything else). Go no further than my disagreements with Erick, Demonbeck and Bull Moose to see where I am just as contentious when I see a conservative do something objectionable.

Pointing your finger at Republican’s or people you perceive as Republicans (Niel Boortz is the primary talent on WSB 750 and is a self proclaimed small l libertarian) is a form of excuse making, which is a form of defense.

Perhaps say “KOS is not right in doing this and should be criticized, but I think Republicans are worse”.

I would then say I agree that there are Republicans who do the same thing, but would disagree that they are worse.

29. griftdrift says:

Perhaps you perceive me as monolithic here because it is in response to monolithic views?

The fine people at Blog For Democracy might think the same but from a different viewpoint.

But no matter.

You youself said people engaging in these types of politics by “finding an edited sound bite or manufacturing a situation” is destructive. I only pointed out it has been occuring for years in other venues yet somehow the horror is only now evident to the delicate sensabilities.

In my mind that is neither defense nor excuse making.

Guess we’ll just have to disagree on that one too.

30. Doug Deal says:

grift,

I am willing to admit that I was a little gung ho, in labeling you. Instead of leaving this discussion in disagreement, lets both agree to hold our own accountable when they cross the line.

31. Doug Deal says:

To be honest, it is the same for me, but I left that part out, since it was easier to self categorize as a Republican partisan than an aimless misanthropic iconoclast.

32. tribalecho says:

Aaaahhhh. I’m glad you two have settled your differences.

I was only going to comment on Deal’s comment on KOS but gd swoshed right in and got things going so I thought I might not have to comment. But that was not to be.

Look, I’ve hung out on KOS a lot, for a time, and enjoyed it. I don’t agree with a bunch of stuff but it was especially fun before the election or when someone is focusing in on one particular issue that’s important but tedious. Like the Attorney General thing.

But KOS itself can become tedious and I’m mainly going back to my basic source materials to obsess upon.

But KOS is not hateful. Some people, out of the hundreds of thousands of users, can be abusive, usually in a pretty silly way, but they are usually called on it.

I read the comments at the Jerusalem Post, some Aussie papers , The Angry Arab, and a lot of right-wing sites, including many more respectable than the Freepers, and I’ve seen real hate.

I remember a caller to “The Kimmer” calling for the “elimination” of people, uh, like me, and probably you too, and having this radio host agree with that sentiment.

Kudos to Fox for firing him. Though I have no idea if they were related incidents and rather doubt it.

This new voice in Atlanta, WKGA, I think, 920 AM, is basically the line up from townhall.com

Ain’t that a bastion of conservatism?

I predict they’re gonna put the hurt on 750 and 640.

For hours everyday this voice of the Rightista’s tell their adoring audiences that people like me are loony terrorist-loving minions of Satan.

Regulars guests: Rudy, Mitt and Newt.

So I really think Deal’s talk of all the “hate” on DK is totally out of line.

And yes. Bring the camera! All over the world people are bringing cameras. The government’s bringing in the cameras too. Is that a concern?

I’m thinking of going to Hannity’s Freedom Concert. If I can figure out how to do video. Why? Because if these people say the vile things they say on the public airwaves, I’d love to see, and show others, what they say in front of the congregation.

Why should we care?

Eric Rudolph. Tim McVeigh. The Black-shirts of Italy.

Ok. Maybe I went too far. But I’m concerned.