Douglas condemns immigration agreement

John Douglas is adding his voice to the displeasure over the immigration agreement in Congress:

Amnesty & Citizenship
The US Senate lurches towards immigration disaster

At this writing, various liberal US Senators like Ted Kennedy (D-Mass), along with a number of normally conservative Republicans have breathlessly announced a “compromise” on an immigration bill. President Bush has indicated strongly he supports the proposal and is ready to sign it as soon as possible.

I am very strongly opposed to the ideas being batted around in Washington for the following reasons:

2. There can be no path to amnesty or citizenship for those here illegally. The message that will result from this bill is that if enough people break the law at one time, we will eliminate the law being broken.

3. There can be no path to amnesty or citizenship to those here who could pay the proposed fines, just because they happen to have enough money to buy their way into this country. If that idea is approved, we should offer to open our prison doors to anyone who could buy their way out of prison for any other offense. Why limit the buy-out option just to immigration lawbreakers?

4. Using history as an example, I foresee even more illegal immigrants coming to this country once this “deal” is struck. Ronald Reagan completed immigration reform in the mid 1980s when there were approximately 3 million illegals here. Bill Clinton did the same thing in the mid 90s. Now this. Every time we have had so called immigration reform, millions more have come across as a result of seeing that they too will eventually become legal in this country.

5. The costs of illegal employment have devastated the wages of low-income workers in our nation. Legalizing illegal activity will not work towards lowering taxes or raising those wages. Legalizing illegal aliens will only serve to multiply the taxpayer benefits paid to those who have broken American laws to take American jobs. According to expert testimony from a preliminary study given May 17 to the House Judiciary Committee by Robert Rector of the highly respected Heritage Foundation, the cost of amnesty and earned citizenship for just 7.9 million amnesty recipients would be $2.4 trillion. A cost that must be born by the American taxpayer.

6. I oppose the entire concept of the proposed “Z VISA” and any “touchback” provision. Touchback provisions are thinly veiled attempts to put illegal aliens at the front of the very long line of potential immigrants who are not allowed to live and work in the U.S. while pursuing legal residency.

(I heartily agree with Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions in his observation that any “grand compromise” legislation will be lengthy and will require considerable inspection before any responsible vote could be taken.)

7. With the track record of illegal aliens, I believe that millions of Mexicans IN MEXICO will soon be creating bogus documents to show they were here before 1 Jan.

8. I support the never – tried concept of attrition of the illegal population by enthusiastic enforcement of existing laws coupled with a verifiable, secure and tamper-proof worker verification ID for all applicants for U.S. jobs coupled with vigorous work-place and border enforcement. Attrition through enforcement is the only sensible, just and moderate method in taking the first steps to a real solution to the chaos created by the lack of action in the federal government’s obligation in securing America in a war on terror.

As a member of the Georgia State Senate, I strongly urge the U.S. Congress to heed the findings and recommendations of the Jordan Commission on Immigration Reform of 1995 and restate the words and spirit of the testimony of Barbara Jordan – that commission’s Chair – to Congress during the Clinton Administration: “Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave — deportation is crucial. Employer sanctions can work.”

US Senators and Representatives: Listen to the voices from home. Do not rush into this legislation without a full knowledge and understanding of the devastating impact it will have on our country.

1. Decaturguy says:

Blah, blah, blah … John Douglas: “Those traitorous liberals … (insert more talking points) … blah, blah, blah.

Since when is John Douglas concerned about the “wages of low-income workers in our nation?”

2. Skeptical says:

“1. I do not trust the federal government to enforce border security in the future. Pervious efforts have been a miserable failure due to a total lack of effort on the part of the President of the United States. Not only has he only given lip service to protecting the border, but the Border Patrol has been hamstrung in their efforts to control the flow of drugs and aliens across the entire length of the US-Mexico international boundary.”

Wow. John Douglas crawled out of Dubya’s ass long enough to criticize him. Quick! Someone pass him some more Kool-Aid – it’s wearing off.

3. dingleberry says:

Decaturguy,

Why is it o.k. for you to joking call homosexuals names like “queer” or “fag”, but if a straight person like me wants to protect the sancity of marriage, you call me a “bigot”?

4. Decaturguy says:

Where in the hell did that come from dingleberry?

5. dingleberry says:

From you always picking on poor schmucks like John Douglas, and Earl Ehrhart, et al. You do everything but equate these guys to Stalin and Hitler. You accuse them of being bigoted and ignorant and hateful. Well, you’re a Godd*mn hypocrite. You’re just as hate-filled as those you claim are hate-filled. You’re nothing but vitriol and bullsh*t.

That’s why I posed that question, Decaturguy. To call you out for your d*mn hypocrisy. Now, why is it okay for YOU to joking call other homosexuals names like “queer” or “fag”, but if a straight person like me wants to protect the sanctity of marriage, you call me a “bigot”?

6. Decaturguy says:

I don’t jokingly call “other homosexuals” names like “queer” or “fag.” Never have, never will. Sorry.

7. eehrhart says:

Hey…..I enjoy the disagreements with decaturguy. They are what makes the blog world so interesting.

btw “schmuck” is a yiddish term and it is snarky to say the least.

At least call me something that could be considered technically correct.

8. Demonbeck says:

Would you two take this conversation someplace more appropriate – like a Hartsfield-Jackson bathroom stall?

9. Decaturguy says:

Thanks for pointing that out Demonbeck, because I was not the one who initiated the “conversation,” whatever it was.

10. Demonbeck says:

Yeah, sorry about that. One of the voices in my head pointed it out to me after I clicked “Submit”

11. rightofcenter says:

Gee, the Senator is such a big thinker. Perhaps he should limit himself to comments regarding things he has some responsibility for.

However, I did find it humorous that he used the word “moderate” to describe his preferred method. I would think that would be akin to calling it communist or something.

12. patriot says:

I care.

Sen. Douglas has compiled a good list of GA legislation that uses logic and the application of the rule of law to help keep all of us safer from the lawlessness of the illegal invaders. (Also common sense recognition and appriciation to those keeping us safer on our streets and on duty around the world.)

I don’t want illegals getting GA tags and driver’s licenses without being citizens. I have been a victim – car totalled by hit and run illegals ( they literally bailed out of the vehicle while in motion after totalling 2 cars.)

Just one example of an issue Sen. Douglas has tackled.

We could be so lucky as to have him in Washington, standing on principle, rather than the “bi-partisanship” compromise we are watching today.

13. RJL says:

But — why– would you want Douglas in Washington? He states as his number 1 point that “I do not trust the federal government to enforce border security in the future.” What could he then trust — state gov’t? Local? A posse?

Xenoverbosity.

14. Bill Simon says:

John Douglas Sez: “I do not trust the federal government to enforce border security in the future.”

Flash news for John Douglas: We cannot trust the STATE government to enforce anything either…except, of course, for your pet peeve, the gay marriage issue.