Ouch. That’s going to sting a bit.

Now I know that Reedites are going to come out of the woodwork decrying this posting as being a shameless attack on a man who was defeated almost a year ago, but seriously — as long as Ralph Reed continues to be a public figure, and continues to purportedly speak for actual Christians, then it will be completely legit for folks like Chris Hitchens (in the above clip) and others to remind the world who he really is.

Don’t shoot the messenger, y’know?

powered by performancing firefox

1. dcraigwhite says:

Christopher Hitchens would be slaughtered in a civilized debate. This man has gotten more airtime in recent days than almost anyone, and at each venue his ad hominem attacks seem almost scripted. When challenged on one of his outlandish statements, he reverts back to attacking the questioner, or in this case, (the deceased) Dr. Falwell – what a shame.

I am a Liberty University student, and a GA resident. I didn’t vote for Ralph, but I can certainly admire the fact that he is back out there working for the GOP. The problem with trying to enter a discussion with Hitchens is this: a person with no moral code can ever be accused of being hypocritical, thus Hitchens feels no public remorse for anything he says or does.

The way he has talked about Falwell over these last few days is disgusting.

2. Overincorporated Fulton says:

That was freakin’ great. I’m more excited about the fact that Hitchens points out how ridiculous the interview style is than the stuff about Abramoff, though that’s just icing on the cake.

3. SpaceyG says:

Hitchens shouldn’t even deign to waste a moment of his valuable drinking time on fluff ball, pretty, momma’s boys like Hannity.

4. SpaceyG says:

Gawd… that was freakin’ brilliant! Thanks for posting Jeff! I gotta watch it again!!! Those stiff suits and slicked-back hair on Reed are so, uh… Jerry Falwell clone kinda creepy.

A word of Web 2.0 advice on Righteous Ralphie: he’s a phoney fake of the most corrupted kind. His friends were real crooks though, faking it as “good, decent people.” Everything about Reed is plastic and manufactured and utterly last century.

The Moral Majority was fake. And now that’s dead too. People are on to that made-for-TV bs now, and they don’t like anything about Reed. Why? Because they don’t like FAKE suits lipflapping about FAKED values. He can’t keep fooling the people even some of the time; that ship done sailed.

With Falwell’s passing, the religious right’s agenda to blend religion into political policy is, quite literally, dead. Nowbody’s buying what Ralph’s going to keep trying to sell. ‘Cept the stupid people maybe. And Lord knows, we grow those in abundance right here in America.

5. TPSoCal says:

SpaceyG,

Boy you know how to spew a lot of venom. It’s so interesting that libs are supposed to be these loving, kind, accepting, open minded people. They atre the exact opposite, they are the most closed minded people. They can be very cruel and are best at toxic language.

I suppose you are too young to actually rmember the Moral Majority. It was strongest in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. I remember them. They stood up for what they believed and they had every right to do it. They are good Christian people who felt strongly that our nation was on the wrong path. I remember the late 1970’s, people really felt America was on the decline. Crime was rampant, inflation was out of control, we had to wait in lines for hours to get our rationing of gas. The misery index was off the charts. We felt like we were losing the cold war. It was not pleasent times (and to top it off, disco was popular!). People were really losing faith in our country. A group of Conservative Christians decided to make their voice heard (but I am sure you believe Christians should just shut up and not vote). I think they had a lot of courage to make a stand. Gee, I was brought up to think of this as very American. If you are not happy with the way things are going, make a difference at the ballot box. That is all they did, was advocate their beliefs. They were one of the reasons we were able to elect Reagan and oust Carter (thank God above!). I was a very active dem in the late 1970’s, I changed to a rep in 1980, partly because of the Moral Majority. They let me uinderstand that how I vote should reflect my spriritual beliefs. As of today (things could change in the future) I cannot support any dem due to my belief that they are hostile to my faith. I am not saying Christians cannot vote dem, I know Christians who vote dem and I don’t question their sincerity of faith. For me and most of my family, we cannot support today’s dem party. So yes, while I may not agree with everything the Moral Majority or Falwell or Reed may stand for, I have a lot of respect for the courage they had to stand up for their faith in spite of the hate and venom heaped upon them by the left.

BTW – I supported Cagle.

6. dcraigwhite says:

Great post TPSoCal, again here is a prime example of liberals screaming for tolerance, yet showing none.

Liberals can’t debate the issues, because in general they don’t have practical solutions the American people support. So yet again, we see liberals viciously attacking a deceased man and the faith he held dear.

Make any point you want to about Reed, we all make mistakes. I am certainly not a Reed apologist, but I find it ironic that to liberals, corruption is a one-sided issue.

7. Distasteful and really classless.

I wouldn’t want to be the moral judge and jury on anyone. I don’t think that Falwell was that. He did give an organized voice for the religious right and created an opportunity for this segment to be involved in the process. A lot of us are beneficiaries of his work.

While I disagreed with Reed in the last election, I certainly admire his ability to pick himself up and move forward. The man made mistakes and his reputation took a hit, but it is definitely good to see him back at it.

It was also good seeing him at the convention.

8. IndyInjun says:

Maurice,

As much as Hitchens is detested here, he surely disarmed Hannity, before quickly turning his surgeon’s scalpel on a tongue on Reed.

Reed has it coming.

He has no place in politics now. Reed should find another line of work.

As lamentable is the blow to conservatism from being linked to the corrupt GOP is, we do have the satisfaction of knowing that the quick demise of the GOP will free us all from scum like Reed.

9. GOPeach says:

I just heard Phil Gingrey recognized Ralph Reed today at the GOP State Convention and there was as overwhelming applause for all of Ralph’s accomplishments and brilliance!!!

Ralph Reed is the brightest start in the GA GOP without question. He is the main reason I have not given up on republicans. He takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!!!Can’t keep a good man down.

BTW- I saw Ralph last night at Newt’s dinner and he looked GREAT!!! He has not missed a beat!!

Now as for Jerry Falwell- He convicted those on the pews to get their cracks to the polls … Now that Rev. Falwell has passed …. there are thousands of Liberty grads who will follow his footsteps.

10. Bull Moose says:

I agree with Maurice… It reminds me of the old saying that you can tell a lot about someone by how they take defeat. While I still do not condone how he conducted his business or how he promotes himself, I do think it says a lot about Ralph Reed’s character that he’s wiped the dust off and been visible, especially this weekend at the convention.

Of course, he isn’t going to approach the Bull and the Bull isn’t going to approach him, but I did take notice.

I just wish that he would at least seem a little more sincere if he’s going to talk about us Christians as if he is our spokesman.

11. Bill Simon says:

Chris Hitchens is LIGHT years ahead of Sean Hannity in manners and the ability to make his point without personally attacking someone.

12. kendrial says:

WOW, I have just forward this to EVERYONE I know! Although, I don’t agree with some of Hitchens beliefs (he is an atheist). He is a supreme and true journalist. Unlike Hannity, who in my estimation just yells a lot in order to make himself look good. Hitchens, is right Hannity never lets people talk, is he afraid that they may have something important to say? As for Ralph his record speaks for it’s self. I could not believe that he dared to show up to the convention this weekend. He cause real damage to the GOP and now what he has come back for more? I don’t get it. By the way check out Hitchen’s column this month in Vanity Fair on London it was wonderful!

13. IndyInjun says:

Bill Simon – At least I said it to Reed’s face. However, it WAS a personal attack.

I tend to get VERY upset at con artists.

14. Mike Hauncho says:

Ralph did a good job on this. The fact that Hitchens sits there and complains that Hannity is cutting him off and then keeps trying to hurl insults at Ralph while he is speaking is a joke. Ralph is a good man, a brilliant poitican, and an asset to Georgia politics. His ties to Abramoff were not a good choice but none of it has he been indicted of. Some of you are too eager to turn a good man into an enemy. Ralph won this one.

15. Jeff Emanuel says:

Ralph is a good man, a brilliant poitican, and an asset to Georgia politics

Sorry Mike, your second one would at least have been close to correct in the past, but for now you’re Oh-for-Three. Your second sentence is the most correct of them all.

16. IndyInjun says:

Does there remain any question that the GOP deserves extermination as a major party?

If y’all did not like 2006 you are gonna rend garments and gnash teeth in 2008 by sticking with folks like Ralph Reed.

17. GOPeach says:

Jeff,

Dawn Strickland ( 13th GOP Chairman) is Choctaw and she is not mad at Ralph!

If you are sooooo loyal to your people,, Jeff why don’t you go whoop Ralph’s ass?

18. GOPeach says:

I will arrange the fight – Jeff!!

I am a counselor and I can feel your aggression.
    Let’s get this thing over with and arrange a good old fashion ass whoopin!

Then we can bring this thing to closure!

19. joe says:

Jeff,

I knew that there was a reason that I liked you, I am 25 % Choctaw. My grandfather was from the Antlers, OK Choctaws.

20. Holly says:

Oh, wow, I’m terrible at math. 13%.

Did I mention that after I got that D in trig in high school that I regressed into only being capable of simple addition and subtraction? I swear it’s true.

Anyway, Jeff doesn’t strike me as the kind of person to “whoop” someone like Ralph.

21. IndyInjun says:

I am 0% Injun, but 100% INDEPENDENT.

I make no pretense of liking or even tolerating Reed.

22. joe says:

IndyInjun,

Do you have any idea how politacally incorrect “Injun” is? I have been known both as Chief Joe and Injun Joe.

LOL

23. GOPeach says:

Okay- I have just spoken with HBO and they are arranging the fight between Jeff & Ralph! LOL
    All prceeds go to Casey’s Kids!

24. IndyInjun says:

Joe, does this mean I am about to get Imus’ed?

Just plain Indy seems to have been taken before I settled in this happy tribe.

GOPeach, you are hilarious even if I agree with you about as often as I do a stopped clock.

25. Donovan Head says:

Lord knows I was not on Ralph Reed’s team in ’06, but I have to say that this clip is apauling and I’m suprised all Republicans who saw it didn’t feel this way. I remember after Casey won, we were all dissapointed that some of Reed’s people didn’t want to jump aboard to help our nominee….and now some of us are supporting such an attack even after Casey and Ralph have both claimed each other as good friends…grow up people!!

This man said some revolting stuff about Rev. Fallwell and he had no respect for the man what so ever after he died…his disgusting attacks just increased. I didn’t always agree with Rev. Fallwell, but I certainly have the utmost respct for the man who inspired so many evangicals to show their strength and power at the polls, with out him there would have never been a Republican Revolution of ’94.

26. Holly says:

Geez, Jeff, GOPeach’s HBO fight between you and Ralph must really be occupying your thoughts if you can’t connect those dots!

Obviously she’s hiring Casey to be your trainer so it can be a swift KO.

27. Demonbeck says:

Christopher Hitchens is an ass. I may not like Ralph Reed very much, but he had a lot more composure than I would had someone spoken about a friend of mine who had recently passed away.

28. Doug Deal says:

Demon,

Christopher Hitchens is a product of the times. People do not seem to mind when people act like Hitchens when it is against someone that they dislike, but scream holy murder when it is against someone they do like.

You are an exception, and I like to think that I am as well, but most people from the right or left (especially the left) give a pass for this type of behavior.

29. rugby_fan says:

What I have always liked about Hitch (and it’s not his deeply flawed ideologies) is the way he is perpetually insouciant when debating.

30. GOPeach says:

Donovan-

You seem a bit confused sweetie.

Rev. Falwell registers voters in his church once a month! They praised the Lord and they voted at the same time.

If voter registration is such a sin, why do we do it anywhere at anytime.

If Jesus is not Lord OF All – He is not Lord AT All. He is the same everywhere… Are you?????