Greene: “Nothing more than amnesty”

Bill Greene has a challenge for Jim Whitehead:

GREENE CHALLENGES WHITEHEAD TO CONDEMN AMNESTY BILL
“Do We Stand With Ted Kennedy, Or With Georgia Voters?”

DULUTH, GA – Bill Greene, Republican candidate for U.S. Congress, today issued a challenge to former state Senator Jim Whitehead to publicly condemn the amnesty bill proposed this week by Ted Kennedy, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson.

“The so-called ‘immigration reform bill’ being pushed in the U.S. Senate is nothing more than amnesty for illegal aliens,” said Bill Greene, considered to be the leading conservative candidate in the special election to fill the late Charlie Norwood’s seat. “It’s disgraceful that any legislator, especially from Georgia, would make a deal with a pro-open borders liberal like Ted Kennedy. I condemn the Kennedy/Chambliss/Isakson bill, and I look forward to voting against it as one of my first acts in Congress — and I challenge my opponent, Jim Whitehead, to condemn the bill as well.”

Bill Greene attended a GOP breakfast at the state Republican convention today, where Saxby Chambliss tried to defend the bill he wrote with Ted Kennedy. “The idea that we need to compromise our values in order to ‘engage’ the Democrats in power is reprehensible,” said Greene. “This is ‘politics as usual’ at its worst, and this is why I’m running — we need Republicans willing to stand up for American values, not politicians willing to cut deals at the expense of the American people.”

Bill Greene, president of the national conservative activist organization RightMarch.com, is a Republican candidate for U.S. Congress in the June 19 special election for Georgia’s Tenth District. For more information, visit www.BillGreeneForCongress.com.

1. bowersville says:

The AJC, Political Insider, Friday, May 18, 2007, 12:02pm. Title: “Suddenly, this GOP Convention is about Immigration”

Jim “Whitehead, also a Republican, is calling it ‘amnesty, pure and simple.’…’with passage of this bill, America will be a nation of laws no more’…”

Whitehead publicly condemned the bill as amnesty, reported by the P/I, AJC at 12:02 pm, Friday, May 18th.

2. atlantaman says:

So I guess the question is who condemened it more quickly. Whitehead clocked in at 12:02 pm, so if Greene has proof before 12:02 than he’s more conservative, if not he’s more liberal.

3. profg says:

Uh huh. If it’s dates you want, how about May 16th, from Jim Whitehead:

“Saxby has done a fantastic job for Georgia in Washington, and all Americans owe him a debt of gratitude for holding the line against amnesty for illegal aliens in the Senate. I look forward to working with him in Washington as well, and will do everything in my power to help re-elect Saxby to the Senate in 2008.”

Saxby and Whitehead, two politicians working together in Washington to “hold the line against amnesty” for us. Just like happened this week.

Welcome to politics as usual.

BG

4. I’m going to be crude. This issue is being pimped to pieces. No one has read the legislation, yet all seem to be authorities on this issue.

Yes there is a problem, but at the same time these people are vital to our economy performing service and labor none of you or I will do (in some case cannot do). So, shut down the dairy farms, forget peaches, pecans, cotton, construction, housekeeping, janitorial and any other myriad of services our labor pool CANNOT fill.

So pimp the issue to your constituency. These people are human beings.

5. bowersville says:

Point conceded, people are human beings. But if we are to be rational, exactly what part of the bill do you support since it hasn’t been published? Are you relying on what has been said? If cloture is to come on Monday, why the rush. Let’s have an informed debate.

Publish the bill.

6. Holly says:

There’s a draft copy available at the Heritage Foundation. I’ve also contacted Saxby and Johnny’s staff with some questions, and when I get answers, I’ll post them here.

Also, Bill, by your words there, are you suggesting that Saxby hasn’t done a good job for Georgia over all in his five years in the Senate and eight years in the House? May 16th was before the immigration bill was released, so you can’t fairly attribute that to Jim’s comments.

7. CHelf says:

According to the PI, Gary Black is behind this bill or something similar. Since he is a big Whitehead supporter, what does that mean for both of them? What does Whitehead have to say for that? Will the same hatred and bitterness for Chambliss make its way to Black as well?

And will Vernon Jones jump on the bandwagon? Anything coming from his camp? Better make use of the issue now…

8. GOPeach says:

ACTUALLY —

PAUL BROUN is Condemed AMNESTY before ANYONE!!!

TOM TANCREDO has ENDORSED DR. PAUL BROUN!!!

That says it ALL!!!

I have been asked to invite you all to join CONGRESSMAN TOM TANCREDO & DR. PAUL BROUN an EVENT coming up soon.

For Details: http://www.paulbroun.com/

My husband & I both plan to be there and I would love to meet all you fellow bloggers.

You need to actually MEET the CANDIDATES!

9. tony r says:

Didn’t that congressman who runs the stop illegal immigration caucus in congress just come out and endorse whitehead?

10. atlantaman says:

I tried to make this point before, but does anyone else find it hilarious that you’ve got Whitehead, Broun and Green all trying to say, “I’m the one who is most against amnesty.”

11. V. Monroe says:

News Release

Jim Whitehead for Congress
    May 17, 2007: for immediate release
    Whitehead Denounces Senate Amnesty Plan

State Senator Jim Whitehead (R-Evans), frontrunner in the race to succeed longtime immigration reformer Congressman Charlie Norwood, says the bill unveiled in the Senate today is, “amnesty, pure and simple”, and should be opposed by all Americans at all levels of government.

“With passage of this bill, America would be a nation of laws no more”, says Whitehead. “If we don’t enforce immigration law, what other law will we not enforce because some people don’t like it or think it’s fair? The people of my district don’t like income tax, and don’t think it’s fair. If this amnesty bill passes, how can I, as their federal representative, tell them in good conscience to continue to pay income tax?”

Whitehead called on all Georgians to make their voices heard by the U.S. Senate. Whitehead pledged to vote against the bill if elected in time to impact House action on the measure, and to seek repeal of the bill if the Democrat-controlled House approves it prior to a new representative from Georgia’s Tenth District being sworn into office following the special election June 19.

###

Jim Whitehead for Congress

12. Holly says:

Atlantaman,

I don’t think Jim is trying to make it a competition, and I think GOPeach is the only one trying to make it a competition for Paul Broun.

The point here is that Jim has said that he thought the bill in Congress amounted to amnesty, and he didn’t support it.

Bill Greene on this thread has tried to imply that Jim’s statement (which came out the day before the press release in which Bill challenged Jim to “condemn” the bill) wasn’t good enough and somehow contradicts his statement that Saxby Chambliss is a great senator.

Firstly, I disagree that those two contradict each other. Secondly, I think that a statement that Jim made on May 16th can’t really be used to tie him to a bill that wasn’t released at that point and which he came out strongly against on Friday morning.

13. Federalist says:

This is not amnesty. It is still a little too much, but it is a step in the correct direction. Tony r made a good point, Bill Greene is a moron. Furthermore, Jim Whitehead has said a lot of things (i.e. Iraq is not a big deal, and that he would blow up UGA), if Whitehead has proven anything about himself it is that he can not be trusted to lead or represent the 10th. He is old as hell, we do not need another special election before the end of this Congress. The GOP candidates in this race, I believe, do not stand for anything…they are just trying to out right-wing each other and secure GOP votes. That is not the representation the 10th needs.

14. Bill Simon says:

Profg,

The bill got released to the viewing public on May 17-18. Whitehead condemned the bill at 12:02 PM on May 18.

Whitehead’s comments about Saxby (according to YOUR post) occured on May 16.

Now that the bill came out as such, Whitehead renounced it, and you keep harping on comments he made about Saxby 2 days before.

Tell me, are you a complete moron, or just a temporary one that likes to throw-out illogical points and hope they stick to ANYONE?

15. profg says:

Jim Whitehead is trying to make a lot of hay out of his good-ol-boy buddying with Saxby Chambliss. The day before Chambliss plays footsie with Ted Kennedy in front of God and Fox News to promote Kennedy’s new amnesty bill, Whitehead tells us that Saxby is doing a “fantastic job” for us “holding the line against amnesty” and that we “owe him a debt of gratitude” for that.

Don’t try to tell me, or the American people, that this bill isn’t amnesty. The grassroots understands what it means when someone breaks the law to get here, and then they’re allowed to stay with a slap on the wrist. That’s why the grassroots is melting down the phone lines right now.

Politicians have been yanking our chains for too long now, and we’ve got 12-20 million illegals here as a result, with Lord knows how many terrorist sleepers. These people are laughing at us, and the politicians know it. This is an outrage, we’re sick to death of it, and it’s time to stand up, get a spine, and fight it HARD. No more games. Period.

I like Saxby. He’s a nice guy, and has voted a lot better than his Democrat opponent would have. But this is shameful and disgraceful, and I’m disappointed in Jim Whitehead for not calling Saxby out by name and condemning his actions on this amnesty bill. You don’t just renounce or denounce it, you call out the politicians responsible for it by name and put a stop to it.

BG

16. profg says:

GOPeach – someone is feeding you incorrect information. Tom Tancredo is a friend of mine, and when I chatted with him last week, he made it clear that he is NOT endorsing Paul Broun, so you might want to stop announcing that he has.

Thanks.

BG

17. Holly says:

Bill,

What you said doesn’t really hold water. Saxby calling into a radio show and saying “I’m looking forward to working with my friend, Jim, in Washington,” does not mean that Saxby debriefed him on the immigration bill during the phone in. Jim didn’t know the bill would be coming out the next day.

Jim made a statement that is in line with your own. That means he’s against the bill.

I know it must be embarassing that you and your staff didn’t catch the fact that there was a response printed on Political Insider from Team Whitehead before you issued your release, but it’s quite obvious that Jim met your challenge before it was even made.

18. I was visiting friends in Putnam County today. I have no clue of the 10th district, or what the voting strength of this county. But on the southside on 129 and on 441 is definitely Broun territory. Therre are a good number of billboards in yards. I didn’t see any other candidate signs.

19. profg, “”””Don’t try to tell me, or the American people, that this bill isn’t amnesty.””””

Please tell us the inside scoop that you have.

Be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. Really doesn’t work well in political campaigns, but is awesome policy.

The vast majority of these immigrants are here to work and experience freedom. Your perceived hawkish position will have serious unintended consequences for our economy. It will destroy agribusiness, construction and the service sector.

I thought it was interesting yesterday at the Senators breakfast. There was a resounding applause when Saxby mentioned that some folks want to ship them all back, but the servers taking care of these people were mostly hispanic.

20. Federalist says:

Since when was the GOP anti-free enterprise? Competition people, that is capitalism. Our system should not favor one worker over another because of accident of birth. Having employment in this country is not a right, it is a status that is earned.

21. bowersville says:

Bill, I’m voting Whitehead, but I have to admit this is the funniest/ best contradiction of GOScreech I’ve ever witnessed. Congratulations on your endorsement.

Peach, how does that crow taste with your sherry?

Judge Peach, will you kindly lock your liquor cabinet and issue a restraining order on Peaches’ computer?