I have a question for Jim Whitehead…

…In today’s Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, Republican Congressional candidate Jim Whitehead told AP reporter Ben Evans:

“I do not want to leave without the Iraqi government being able to take over their own country and have their own democracy.” [Source: 5/18/2007 Columbus Ledger-Enquirer article “Georgia Republican steers clear of war in early campaign test”]

Whitehead also reversed his previous position that “Iraq has not been a big thing in our district.” He now says that “Nobody is going to say that Iraq is not a big deal,” but I’ll let some other blogger handle that.

Here’s my question for Jim Whitehead…

…On “Meet the Press” this past Sunday, Tim Russert asked Sen. John McCain the following question:

“But, senator, the Iraqi parliament, a majority of the Iraqi parliament, has signed a petition asking for a date certain for withdrawal of American troops. If the Iraqi parliament wants it, a majority in the Congress want it…then why do you stand there and say, “No, you can’t have it”?” [Source: “Meet the Press” transcript from May 13, 2007]

I pose that same question to you. If the Iraqi parliament adopts a resolution that says something to the effect of “we want American troops out of Iraq by the end of 2007″, do you believe that we should remain in their country against their wishes?

1. SpaceyG says:

Of course not. But Cheney and Rove will be the ones who decide what our continued policy there will be, not the American people.

2. Observer says:

That’s right, the person who wins the election for president gets to make the foreign policy decisions. It comes with the job.

3. TPSoCal says:

Thank you Observer! My understanding of the Constitution is that the Executive branch is responsible for foreign policy. Way back in 2004, the American people spoke by re-electing President Bush with 51% of the popular vote. Therefore, the American people did in fact decide our policy. I do not understand why libs seem to forget this fact.

4. TPSoCal says:

Reading my friends on the left always seems to prove Winston Churchill right when he spoke about older men who are liberal…

5. RJL says:

If a sovereign nation asks/demands that you remove your troops and you do not, then you are, by definition, and invader/occupier.

6. TPSoCal says:

RJL,

Last time I checked, the elected government of Iraq has NOT asked us to leave. Therefore, we are NOT occupiers or invaders and never were.

7. Andre Walker says:

The question was not who determines American foreign policy; the question on the table is if the Iraqi parliament elected by the Iraqi people votes to ask us to leave, do we stay or do we go? The President once said, “When the Iraqis stand up, we’ll stand down.” From everything I can gather from news reports, the Iraqi parliament is preparing to stand up and ask us to leave. Do we yield to their wishes and stand down?

8. RJL says:

Perhaps, Andre, a blending of the apparent Dem and Repub responses so far would be enlightening.

Dem: Of course, (because, otherwise) you are by definition an invader/occupier; but Cheney and Rove will make that decision.

Repub: That’s right, the person who wins the election gets to make the decisions (and, besides) the last time I checked the elected government of Iraq has NOT asked us to leave.

We reply. You decide.

9. TPSoCal says:

RJL,

Aren’t you cute. Last time I checked, signing a petition and having a goverment ask us to leave are two seperate things. Petitions are NOT actual foreign policy. If the Government (i.e. President, PM, Foreign Minister, etc.) officially ask us to leave, then I would say “fine, bye!” Petitions are lots of fun because you can say anything without any real consequence. It’s different when you actually pass binding resolution with real consequences. So yes, I did read the post, I was responding to reality, not a libs dreams!

10. RJL says:

Read it again, TPSi. The question posed in the post, and again only three comments above, is the one you answered affirmatively in the hypothetical, not the backstory about the petition that you interpret to be the point.

Thus, we are in agreement: if the Iraqi Parliament were to pass an actual “binding resolution” asking the U.S. to leave, we should.

Does that make you a dreaming liberal?