I Hate to Rain on Your Parade But …

As Senator Eric Johnson, and others, try to recruit Fred Thompson to run for President (and I admit that Thompson would be a compelling candidate that would restore a little pizazz to the Presidency), I thought I would actually do a little bit of research into Thompson’s positions on the issues.

In a survey Thompson filled out for Project Vote Smart in 1994 he stated that:

Abortions should be legal in all circumstances as long as the procedure is completed within the first trimester of the pregnancy.

In addition, Thompson told Republican Liberty Magazine that same year that “Government should stay out of it [regarding abortion]. No public financing. The ultimate decision must be made by the woman. Government should treat its citizens as adults capable of making moral decisions on their own.”

Now Thompson says he is pro-life but, also, that the Court should not immediately overturn Roe v. Wade

In that same interview with Chris Wallace he said that while he is opposed to gay marriage and civil unions, it “ought to be left up to the states.”  He further explained:

People are going to have different ideas. That’s why we have states. We ought to give great leeway to states and not have the federal government and not have the Supreme Court of the United States making social policy that’s contrary to the traditions of this country and changing that overnight. And that’s what’s happened in a lot of these areas.

So, he would not support a Federal Marriage Amendment, I presume.

He also supported McCain’s campaign finance reform bill.

I don’t know if Thompson will decide to run, but he sure is having fun right now, that is for sure.

1. Erick says:

What’s interesting is that Thompson’s stated positions in 1994 made him more pro-life than Romney in 2005.

Then of course, once Thompson got elected he had a near 100% pro-life record and opposed the Federal Marriage Amendment saying it was a matter best left to each state and he would have favored DOMA as a constitutional amendment.

A man who wants to cut the federal government? Works for me.

2. Chris says:

DecaturGuy,

Just because Sen. Thompson doesn’t jump all onboard for all the social conservative’s pet issues doesn’t make him a less appealing candidate. He takes a principled Federalist viewpoint on abortion and gay marriage – that the issues are not enumerated as powers of the Federal Government and thus should be left up to the states.

3. Demonbeck says:

What kind of hat is going to rain on our parade?

I hope it’s a bowler hat, those things are nifty.

4. Bill Simon says:

If Fred Thompson isn’t in the race, I’ll be staying home on presidential preference primary day…because the entire rest of cast of characters running (including the other non-announced yet candidate) bore me to freakin’ tears.

5. Decaturguy says:

I agree, but the funny thing is that the whole gay marriage debacle was a result of state courts. Federal judges have never been involved.

6. jsm says:

Decaturguy, the people concerned about most of what you have listed here are Christian moralists. I don’t agree with Fred on everything, but I don’t agree with everything Reagan did, either. However, based on Fred’s record, I believe he understands the Constitution and will rely on it.

7. Doug Deal says:

This is actually a very good sign, when people can overlook one or two minor flaws in a candidate and not cast him away as imperfect. I bet Democrats are a bit scared with the possibility of facing a uniting figure in a Republican.

8. Bill Simon says:

Little Debbie should flit back to her hero, Rudy…the one she’s been Ooohing…and Ahhhhing over for the past 6 months.

Fred’s wagon doesn’t need any flip-flopping fish to be flopping around inside of it as it gathers speed.

9. CHelf says:

He’s taking a federalist position? Explain CFR then. Is his position on that federalist? Conservative?

10. jsm says:

I’m sure he’ll be fielding questions on CFR, once he gets in the race. How he answers will determine a lot about his support base.

11. Decaturguy says:

Typos corrected. The thick smoke in the air today from the wildfire is going to my brain.

12. Jmac says:

We’ll take our chances, though Thompson is a stronger candidate for the GOP than any of the ‘Big Three’ though I don’t think he’s the savior of the Republican Party or anything.

I’d argue that Mike Huckabee would be the one that would make me the most nervous. Still, as of right now, I’m content with the Democrats’ ‘Big Three’ up against Republicans’ ‘Big Three.’

13. Fred has what the rest of the field don’t have. He’s a trained actor and an effective communicator. That is not a slam, that’s a good thing. Freds gonna make the religious right a little upset, but he is certainly going to make a liberal cringe. America is gonna love him.