At War With The GOP

imageHere’s the thing, I realize I am a Republican candidate for office. But I also run a large online website dedicated to Republican activism. We got slaughtered last November at the polls. One of the reasons is corruption. And yet the GOP put another California Republican on the House Appropriations Committee this week — the fourth one to have records seized by the FBI in an ongoing corruption investigation.

Whether its the Democrats or Republicans, it is wrong. And it must stop. So I’ve declared war on the House GOP Steering Committee. We’re going to go after them and their donors. First, we’re going to call them all. You can help. The first target is John Linder. It doesn’t matter whether you are a Republican or Democrat. This is unacceptable conduct for either party to engage in.

All you have to do is make three phone calls. That’s it.

Today we are calling John Linder of Georgia. He represents the 7th District in Georgia which all or portions of Barrow, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Newton, and Walton Counties. Populated areas include Social Circle, Walnut Grove, Good Hope, Winder, Bethlehem, Cumming, Snellville, Lilburn, Duluth, Norcross, and Lawrenceville.

Zipcodes include most areas with a 3000x. Area codes include 770 and 678. This is all relevant information if they dare to tell you they won’t talk to you because you are out of the district.

Call (770) 232-3005 first. Then call (202) 225-4272. Ask if he voted for Calvert. Then you may want to ask the following:

(1) Are you aware that Ken Calvert paid a heroin addicted prostitute for oral sex?

(2) Are you aware that Calvert will be the fourth California Republican on the Appropriations Committee to have records seized by the FBI?

TIP: If they say they want to mail you the answer, ask first to speak to someone else. If they insist on mailing you something, respond, “So what you are telling me is that you refuse to answer? I’ll consider that a yes vote.”

Also, don’t forget to call Tom Cole at (202) 225-6165. Just tell the person who answers the phone that you wanted to let Congressman Cole know you will not be contributing to the NRCC’s efforts until Ken Calvert is off Appropriations.

Report back here in the comments.

1. Nate says:

I could not agree more! These guys have completely lost their minds and it must stop. I think the new motto for the Republican party should be “Principles over power.”

2. Demonbeck says:

While I do have an issue with Mr. Calvert’s appointment on the Approps Committee because of question marks on his record, I also have a problem with parity for the other states.

Including Calvert, California will now have 8 people on Appropriations or 12% of the entire Committee. In fact, the four largest states in the nation (CA, NY-5 seats, TX-5 seats and FL-5 seats) have 23 of 66 seats on the whole committee. The next six largest states (IL-3, PA-3, OH-3, MI-2, NJ-2 and GA-2) only have 15 seats. The other 40 states get to share the remaining 28 seats on the most powerful committee in DC.

Why in the world was the Steering Committee compelled to place another Californian to this committee? Was there not another member of Congress with a better record? Is Calvert vulnerable politically?

I, for one, would submit that placing a fiscal conservative on this committee would tell America that the Republican party heard the message the country sent it in this past election.

3. TPSoCal says:

TOM COLE’s NUMBER IS WRONG!

I called the number, it’s a private residence. I looked up Tom Cole’s number and it is (202) 225-6165, NOT 215! Someone who can contact Erick please let him know before that poor family is swamped with wrong numbers.

Thanks!

4. Rick Day says:

TPSoCal reminds us all that Interweb guerrilla tactics can go horribly wrong.

Have I told you all how much I enjoy watching Republicans eat their young? Keep up the great work!

5. Demonbeck says:

“Have I told you all how much I enjoy watching Republicans eat their young? ”

Democrats put their young in the freezer…next to the bribe money.

6. IndyInjun says:

Rick,

Erick is not proposing ‘eating the GOP young,’ most of these guys are long-time GOP incumbents.

Erick has surprised me in “getting it.” I took him as one who would stick to the party line no matter what.

We Indies decide elections, and the ONLY WAY to get us back is to do as Erick proposes and defeat the crooks, long-time incumbents, and the big spenders whom we will no longer tolerate.

Simply marching out the current Georgia GOP delegation, nearly all of whom fit the more than one of the above criteria, without internal party challenges will drive us to voting for the Dems, as distasteful as that may be, or sitting home, which is more likely.

I have told quite a few of them this to their faces at GOP gatherings. VERY BLUNTLY SO.

Erick is doing much the same – confronting them – in the hope that they can be shocked into reforming.

Personally, I do not want to see them ‘reformed.’

I want to see them GONE – replaced by fresh faces true to conservatism.

Over the last 6 years, the auditing and inspector general class in the USA has been simply aghast at the level of corruption in every department, the stonewalling of auditing efforts, and the number of professionals fired, smeared, or reassigned by this, the most corrupt administration in US history. The investigations of the last 4 months have been shocking but you have seen nothing yet.

Erick has a hint of what is coming and his partisanship is starting to fall into second place to his sense of honesty and personal honor.

GOP will be toast for DECADES unless folks pay attention to him now and unless GOP can put up challengers to its incumbents.

Georgia is NOT a permanently Red State.

7. Skeptical says:

As someone who lives in his district, I was happy to call.

Don’t bother calling the local office. They don’t know anything. The person I talked to didn’t even know who Ken Calvert was.

I called the Washington office. The woman who answered the phone had no clue and said that she thought they would be voting on this today. She asked if I was for or against him being put on the committee and then said it would be a week before anyone could even call me back with the answer.

8. Doug Deal says:

Demn,

Isn’t California about 12 percent of the nation in population? 12% of congress is 52 members, which I think is about the size of their delegation.

So, in a sense it could be argued that it is California’s spot as it is the apportioned house.

9. Doug Deal says:

Demon,

That’s what the Senate is for, equal representation. Take your argument up with the founding fathers. Maybe you can also get them to put more restrictions about direct taxation and a clarification that “the people” mean the same thing in the second amendment as it does everywhere else.

10. Demonbeck says:

“That’s what the Senate is for, equal representation.”

Georgia – the nation’s ninth largest state – has no representation on the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Of the 95 potential slots available on the House and Senate Approps committees – Georgia has two members – representing 2.1% of the total membership – despite accounting for 3.1% of the US Population.

Heck, Alabama – roughly half the population of GA – has 3 Approps members. Kentucky – with 45% of GA’s population – has three members, as does VA (1.5 million fewer people.)

Tennessee – with one Senate and one House Member and 2/3 the size of GA – has two members.

Even Mississippi – with less than a third of GA’s population – has more pull in the Approps process than we do – with one Senate Appropriator and one in the House.

John Linder should be pressing the Steering Committee to put more Georgians on these important committees. He shouldn’t merely be toeing the party line and putting folks like Ken Calvert in these places.

11. Ray4VP says:

“Over the years I have contributed heavily to the GOP and none to the Dems, but this is IT for me.
    I will no longer support anyone running as a Republican until they dump this crew of imposters.”

So do you really expect for the GOP to sponsor anyone who is NOT an insider? Do you expect the media to even tell you about someone who is NOT part of the machine.? Do not hold your breath. If you are not part of the machine you have to kick and scream to even get noticed. How would I know? Simple.

FEC# C00434407

12. Doug Deal says:

Demon,

You can’t just add the Senate and the House together.

Unless there are 50 members on the Senate A.C., then someone has to be left off. Lobby to have 50 members on the Senate committee, and give 1 to everyone.

In the House, everything looks about equal for the bigger states.

The point of a committee is to break down the work into smaller groups. If you want full representation, then just require all work to be done on the House and Senate floor. The Geogia, Wyoming and Montana delegations can always amend from the floor, vote against approval of the committee report or against final passage.

13. Demonbeck says:

What I am saying is that Linder shouldn’t be voting to put someone like Ken Calvert on this committee when there are viable candidates in unrepresented areas who should be considered first. The mentality up there is that they are trying to replace a Californian with a Californian, not a member with another member.

14. Redcatcher says:

I have said this before, but it needs to be repeated. Once these guys get to Washington they realized they have become members of the most exclusive country club in the world. It will not change until a whole bunch of inccumbents are voted out of office and for that to happen the populace of a state must be willing to vote their own rep or sen out.

15. Bill Simon says:

I thought you were a “pro-life” guy, Erick.

If Ken Culvert had not paid that prostitute some money so she could get a hit of heroin, she might have died. Did you want her to die, Erick?

16. Bull Moose says:

Erick, I’m real impressed with your taking up of this issue.

I will call Linder’s office and Tom Cole’s tomorrow…

Republicans have got to get it if they expect to have any reasonable chance of ever getting back in the majority.

If you ask me it’s time for some serious house cleaning through primary challenges if we’re really ever going to have a shot.

17. IndyInjun says:

What Erick is doing with the “War on GOP” is every bit as important and timely as the 10th race.

If he and we do not succeed and the GOP remains its unpenitant, corrupt self, the party is unsalvageable until 2010 or 2012.

As is stands now, many conservatives like this writer see the GOP as the greater of the two evils.

We cannot wait until 2008 to see the current batch of imposters/incumbents take the party back to where it was in the 1930’s.

If Marlowe is not gaining traction, do not blame it on Peach Pundit.

By golly, ten days ago if someone had only told me that I would become an Erick fan….!!!!!!!