Why on Earth?

Henry Ficklin is running for Mayor of Macon.

Macon City Councilman Henry Ficklin has confirmed he will enter the mayor’s race as a Democrat.Ficklin has been a Democrat for most of his political career, which began when he first won election to the council in 1979. But in recent weeks he floated the idea of running as either a Republican or Independent candidate to avoid the crowded Democratic primary. In the end, he said, he decided he had no reason to abandon principles “I have lived with and ran on all these years.”

This is a terrible idea. Ficklin most likely can’t get it and in his present position, as Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, he’s more of a tight ass than most Republicans. He needs to stay put. The Assistant Chairman, who I assume would take his place, is not so fiscally restrained.

1. MrMacon says:

I agree. He’s got stars in his eyes, but not a bit of sense.

Anyone who knows anything knows we’ll be looking at a faceoff of between risque randall or risky reichert against gibson. I’d understand more if Ficklin had something to voice in the campaign..but as the TV interview proved yesterday, he’s got less to say than the nutrition facts on a fruit rollup.

I might want to see Reichert in office–maybe–he’s got such a sordid and ‘sneaky’ history It’s hard to say, but even if he makes the primary, he’s, well, white, the color of a snowball: which is the chance in hell he has of taking office. If he’s against Gibson, all Gibson would have to do would be let MAcon know that’s he’s black, and well, that election could suddenly become a sight to see.

When the dem’s starting kicking dirt at each other–and that time is very near at hand–there’s a lot that Reichert is going to throw in Randall’s face–from sex tapes to personell files, to economic development histories. But again, who in Macon cares about what kind of leader we elect, as long as he’s black and waves his hand high enough?

2. Bugapash says:

I”m a republican, and excited about Gibson, but I’m waiting to hear more from him? I agree with you about Reichert (His name never looks like it’s spelled correctly, by the way)–I was talking with someone at the Commission office who told me “no one really knows Reichert”. But Randall’s past didn’t effect him in his last election, so why should it this time?

3. MrMacon says:

I’m hanging onto a hope that voters can be convinced this time around that just voting for skin color wasn’t enough last time–look where it led us? So we need to look harder. Is that too much to ask of Everday Joes? I don’t think so. The Candidates, and many political ‘pundits’ like to think that voters are dumb in an election year, but truth is, they only get treated dumb. It’s the candidates who dumb themselves down with two minute soundbite solutions in debates, etc.

4. MrMacon says:

I’m hanging onto a hope that voters can be convinced this time around that just voting for skin color wasn’t enough last time–look where it led us? So we need to look harder. Is that too much to ask of Everday Joes? I don’t think so. The Candidates, and many political ‘pundits’ like to think that voters are dumb in an election year, but truth is, they–we– only get treated dumb. It’s the candidates who dumb themselves down with two minute soundbite solutions in debates, etc.

5. Doug Deal says:

Bugapash,

This is the second time you posted that you “just checked” his website and that it was newly updated.

I assume you work for Gibson, and I too would like to see a Republican get elected as Mayor of Macon, but when you start posting in bad faith it makes you guys look bad.

6. Bugapash says:

Well, I do not work for him, but I did twice post that I’d seen his website–I did so on another topic, but I realized that it was one that no one would likely see (I assumed wrong) so I saw no harm in posting the same information again. I don’t see that as bad faith. As a republican, I’m anxious to promote my party in any way, and if it means repeating myself once to be heard, I see no shame in it.

7. Bugapash says:

And by the way, I’ve asked more than once on this site for information for him, and if you’re interested in promoting republican politics as I am, perhaps you can help answer my questions instead of lashing at me? As you’re criticizing my involvement, I’d assume you could enlighten me regarding the candidates (or this one in particular). I don’t mean that sarcastically–but if you’re a republican, and see that i’m “hurting the candidate”, then tell me how get involved.

8. Doug Deal says:

I am sorry if I mischaracterized your posts to this board, but I really think that it is extremely unlikely that I have.

People do not generally just happen by a minor candidate’s web site the moment it is updated and then post how wonderful the thing is, even though close to zero information is posted about the candidate. Then to do it on two different threads spaced hours apart as if you just happened to do come across the site makes it more unlikely.

In any event, it was hardly “lashing out”, and I am not the Peach Pundit police, but it really sucks when the Dems send out shills to pretend they are just concerned citizens when they are actually hip deap in the party bull. When Republican’s do it, it irritates me even more. It’s dishonesty, and does not reflect well on the candidate.

So, I apologize concerned citizen “Bugapash”. And good luck to you and Arlan.

9. Bugapash says:

Now you have mischaracterized me, and I do take offense, because you’re assuming lots o f foolish things about me. Do you not try to keep follow candidates websites? I’m not the only one talking about them. And yeah, I want a republican more than the others, so I’m going to be interested when his site pops up–and I’m going to let people know. I posted in place, and repeated myself somehwere else so that more people would read it. Does that fit me into your local republican conspiracy profile? I’m sorry to all for having to use the board for this little argument, but I certainly don’t want to be labled as being “hip deap [sic] in party bull” or “dishonest” or “not reflecting well on a candidate, or anything like that. And i’m sorry tha tI can’t try to support my views on here without being bitten back by you. I do take offense to it, and I think I deserve at least the benefit of a doubt.

10. Toby Benetton says:

I apologize for my repetition above. (this is MrMacon). Didn’t mean to submit twice.

And Bugapash—don’t be angry. I assume you’re new to the boards (apologies if this isn’t true). There’s nothing wrong with showing your views, but keep in mind plenty of campaigning occurs on these pages, and it’s easy to believe that someone is being underhanded.

I believe you, but keep in mind also that there’s no need to repeat yourself (yes, I recognize the hypocrisy here, haha) from one thread to the next–once is enough to say anything, and people do read it all, don’t worry.

As far as supporting the candidate, may I recommend that YOU do some research, if not on his website, then there are other ways–and tell US what you found out, instead of just asking? I don’t mean to sound condescending, but if you really are interested, then do get involved.

Now BACK to the thread topic:
    Any more news on Brown? Just curious. As interesting as the race is, it will be all the more so if Brown enters in (he would be foolish to do so in my opinion, just like Ficklin, but when has that stopped anyone?). At any rate; I haven’t heard anything since the the article in late April where he said, “I might.”

11. Bugapash says:

Youre right. Sorry if I came across as being angry–I’m a jerk, what can I say ? All of that aside, however, and I’d like to say this—I hear alot of republicans say “I’d love to see a republican elected,” but it seems like they give up after saying that (not just you, I’m saying from waht I’ve heard in general). I mean, if somethings going to happen, it takes faith and working together, and promoting what we beleive it. I’ll admit I don’t know a heckuva lot about Gibson, mainly because I work out of town and most of the news I get is online, but he stands for my party (and I can’t find anything, website or otherwise, about Cousino, the other republican). So can’t we agree on trying to promote our principles–by extension, the candidate that represents them? This sounds like I’m campaigning maybe but I want republicans in government everywhere, from the council on up. I think all republicans should agree to that.

12. Doug Deal says:

I was a bit jerkish myself. I know the smart money is not on him winning in heavily Democratic Macon, but the way the party grows is by fielding candidates and running in races that no one thinks you can win.

When I first came down to Georgia in 1990, a lot of conservatives were Democrats because “that is the way my daddy voted” and also “only Democrats will ever get elected in Georgia. That, of course, was a bunch of nonsense.

Now people think a Republican could never get elected in a heavily Democratic city with a large black population. If no one ever tries, they are right.

13. Bugapash says:

Agreed. I’m sure someone’s already said this, but Ellis may have made people discontent enough that they’ll be willing, maybe, to break from their own party.
    Like MrMacon said up there somewhere, if it turnsout to be Riechert verses Gibson, then it’s not rep. vs dem., but black vs white–and that could be winnable battle. But what chance does a republican candidate have if everyone says–welll, I’d love to see him win, but my money is on _______. I hear a lot of that. If everyone said, “This is who should win, so let’s vote our values”, then it would easier. But that’s all elections, not just this one. At lot of this is all “what if” until the democratic primary.

14. Holly says:

This is how Bob Young and Deke Copenhaver won in Augusta. Augusta’s mayoral race is non-partisan, too, which is apparently different than the way Macon sets up elections.

15. mercergirl says:

I’m sorry, but you guys are wrong about Reichert. I’d be happy make some counterpoints but seeing as noone said anything concrete against him I cannot do that yet. 🙂