Georgia & Gun Owns Might Want *This* Law

One that prohibits Mike Bloomberg’s private eyes from nosing around Georgians and their guns hoping to find law breakers.

[Virginia] Attorney General Robert F. McDonnell is warning New York to stop, by the summer, sending private agents into Virginia to look for illegal gun sales, saying that the agents could face legal action.Because of a Virginia law that goes into effect in July, New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (R) and his agents could be charged with a felony if they continue to target Virginia gun dealers with undercover sting operations, McDonnell said.

1. shelbinator says:

Well gee, as far as I can tell from that story, Bloomberg wouldn’t be nosing around my guns, ’cause I don’t sell guns. And if I did, I would hope my local & state law enforcement agencies would compel me to obey the laws of gun sales rather than waiting for those guns to cross state lines into communities with tighter gun restrictions, to be sold illicitly for God knows what purpose.

I’ve been a shooter almost all my life and a gun owner since I left college, and I couldn’t be sicker of such knee-jerk hyper-2nd-Amendment NRA propaganda as this post and that article. Go buy your guns at your local gun store according to the law and don’t get all pantie-twisted about Bloomberg trying to protect his constituents from criminals in VA and elsewhere. It’s kinda like you conservatives say about the Patriot Act and the secret wiretaps, isn’t it? “If you aren’t breaking any laws, you don’t have anything to be afraid of!”

2. Holly says:

I think you guys are missing the point that New York has been essentially going around Virginia’s officials to prosecute trouble in Virginia. States are not supposed to do that.

It would be totally different had Bloomberg found a problem and then alerted Virginia so they could handle it. Instead, it seems the mayor skipped that step and basically trampled all over the state’s sovereignty. That doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t want other states to be able to do stuff like this to Georgia, be it with guns or anything else.

3. CobbGOPer says:

Holly makes the most valid point. If New York has a problem with Virginia gun laws, they need to take it up with Virginia’s government. They can’t just start conducting their own law enforcement activities on Virginia territory.

And if New York believes Virginia isn’t doing anything about it, well, then they need to talk to the Feds. Obviously guns are travelling from one state to the next; interstate commerce/interstate smuggling = federal jurisdiction. If they have a problem, get the Feds involved, but don’t infringe on state sovereignty by sending your own agents.

4. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Bloomberg’s spokesman, Jason Post, did not seem shaken: “We wish Attorney General McDonnell was as aggressive in enforcing the laws that prevent illegal guns from getting in the hands of criminals as he was in enforcing the laws that protect the gun lobby.”

I’m pretty sure New York could kick Virginia’s ass.

5. patriot says:

This HAS ALREADY happened in GA. A gun dealer in Marietta was entagled in a NY “sting.”

Do the research, and you’ll see.

CobbGOPer and Holly, ya’ll are right.

6. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Patriot, I also vaguely remember something similar happening to a gun shop outside Savannah just off I-95.

7. JasonW says:

Isn’t this the case where Bob Barr filed suit on behalf of a Georgia Gun owner against the City of New York?