Carter Criticizes Christians

I do love alliteration…

Speaking to a conference of Rabbis, Christians, and Muslims, Carter had this to say:

Christian Zionists can be better friends of Israel by challenging its government’s policies, while accepting Judaism as a legitimate path to God, Carter told a group organized by Rabbi Michael Lerner in California last week, according to the rabbi.

“He said it was a terrible error for Jews to become allied with Christian Zionists who actually desire our conversion or burning in hell,” Rabbi Lerner related in an interview Tuesday.

Lerner added

“Carter described his efforts to counter the extreme right-wing Christian Zionists, and his efforts to help the Baptists understand that the real way to be allies to the Jews is not by giving unconditional support to the current government of the State of Israel”.

Tipping my non-existant hat to Sully.

N.B. I will call this Georgia related because of Carter.

1. Holly says:

Oh, you know us Baptists. We rely on good ol’ Jimmy to show us the error of our ways in blindly following the teachings of the New Testament. . .

2. jsm says:

I find it interesting that there are no direct quotes from Carter during the meeting with the group and only Lerner’s summarizations.

I also find it interesting that Carter is never referred to as a Christian in the article, except for one indirect mention of “ministers and activists in the Christian world.” Although we don’t know what he actually said, Carter demonstrated long ago that he doesn’t believe or follow the Bible, except where it agrees with his agenda. He needs to be put in the looney bin.

3. Skeptical says:

I take it, jsm, that you have never visited one of his Sunday School sermons.

Your outright ignorance – yes I said ignorance – on the subject shows me that you are the one who needs to incur a visit to a nice padded cell.

To say that he “doesn’t believe or follow the Bible” is an insult to him and all other Christians who believe in peace and tolerance and the teachings of Christ.

Really. You should be ashamed of yourself.

4. rugby_fan says:

That’s a little harsh Erick don’t you think?

Pol Pot never led fights against diseases.

Francisco Franco didn’t bring (at least temporary) peace to the mid east.

Would you like for me to continue?

5. jsm says:

Skeptical, I know my Bible quite well, and I know Carter’s statements and actions regarding Israel don’t follow Jesus’ teachings. Your use of the “peace and tolerance” buzz words sound real nice and everything, but Carter only supports those ideals when they are to the detriment, and even destruction, of the Jewish nation.

Who do you think you’re kidding?

6. Skeptical says:

Who am I kidding? Are you “challenged”? Put down the pro-Isreal talking points and prove to me – I’m talking quotes, pictures, the whole nine yards – where President Carter has said that he wants the destruction of the Jewish state. Go ahead and prove it. I triple dog dare you.

And Erick, I’ll just put Jimmy’s picture up there with Hilter’s on my Wall of Shame – History’s Greatest Monsters Edition. 🙂

7. Erick says:

Yes, Ruby it is. I just don’t care for the man and I know it pisses off too many of the right people (though a few I’d prefer not to piss off too) when I say it. 😉

8. Jmac says:

So somewhere in the New Testament Jesus calls for blind allegiance to Israel, regardless of its actions?

Could it be that the references to Israel are, as they should be interpreted, actually references to the Christian people? As they were accurately used in the Old Testament?

Where’s the necessary appreciation for context and history when understanding the Bible?

9. dogface says:

jsm: I’ve got to say, that article by Cinnamon Stillwell may be the best written, well-constructed and organized, cogent and complete critique of the Carter administration I’ve ever read. Thanks for the link.

10. jsm says:

Jmac, God never turned His back on His covenant with Israel. He offered salvation to the Gentiles, while still maintaining His covenant with the Jews as His chosen people.

In II Timothy chapter 3, Paul refers to the “holy scriptures” that Timothy studied as a child. These are portions of the Old Testament. Scripture doesn’t change, nor does its interpretation.