If I may be so rude as to ask…

It seems at least three commentators have declared they will now remove their “Sonny” stickers.

How many others will join them as a result of today’s news?

Just curious how much support the Governor will lose today.

[UPDATE]: The vim of the comments is startling!

1. Misunderestimitated says:

He hurt himself greatly, and you will likely see a good deal of frustration at the State Convention next week.

But just so I’m clear, Sonny says he couldn’t work with the House if they were going to override his veto of the budget. So his action is to override himself essentially and veto a tax cut?

And Cagle was doing pretty well just sitting on the sidelines but just shot himself in the foot with the “courageous leadership” line.

It seems the principled conservatives reside in the House.

2. Misunderestimitated says:

That’s the fastest move from 60% support to lame duck status in litterally 4 months. Who says Sonny moves slowly…

3. Doug Deal says:

I was never really for him, as indifferent. He seemed more or less like the milquetoast Governor to me.

Now, he has revealed himself to be a childish buffoon, and the quicker he leaves the public spotlight, the better.

4. Cracker says:

I took mine off this past Sunday. My spouse commented on having it on the auto so I pealed it off. It now sits in the trash.

5. Icarus says:

“The vim of the comments is startling!”

We Republicans/Conservatives are a trusting lot, sometimes to a fault.

But when we turn, it ain’t pretty.

6. LongTimeListener says:

Like Fredo, he is dead to me now. The convention could get really ugly. Sonny should maybe go fishing instead.

7. Misunderestimitated says:

“You’re not brother…you’re not friend…your dead to me.

Nothing happens to him while Mama’s alive.”

8. Misunderestimitated says:

If there is a walk out, should we hum the National Anthem as Sonny does his best imitation of Dean Wormer and Casey morphs into Greg Marmalard?

9. Icarus says:

“…And we’re not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the Confederate States of America. Gentlemen! Who’s with me…”

10. Misunderestimitated says:

To get back to the issue though, seriously, does Sonny not have an employee to say, “Are you sure you want to do this?”

This is politically cutting off his own knees in one of the morte public political meltdowns that I can recall in Georgia politics. Heck, Lester was never quite this nutty…

11. rugby_fan says:

No, Lester was far more nutty.

His beliefs make him inherently more nutty than this.

To say nothing of numerous failed attempts for governor and president.

12. Misunderestimitated says:

But you still have to respect a man who puts the AJC wrapped around a fish into his offical portrait.

13. IndyInjun says:

You Republicans are a hard lot to figure out.

Y’all still back Linder, Isaakson, Chambliss, Kingston, and the rest of the Georgia Delegation for abandoning fiscal responsibility in DC by their votes for the LARGEST SOCIAL SPENDING PROGRAM IN FORTY YEARS!!!! You see, the mid-range present value of Medicare Part D is $8 trillion, roughly $25,000 per capita of DEBT.

Here you are heaping righteous indignation on Sonny for vetoing a paltry $142 million tax cut that is what, less than $20 per capita?

Republicans sure have a weird perspective on who to take retribution upon.

14. GabrielSterling says:

I don’t think you’ll see too many conservatives on this board defending Medicare Part D. In fact one of the best things Charlie Norwood did was to vote against that entitlement expansion.

I don’t ever remember seeing anyone on this board defending our delegation for voting for that.

15. IndyInjun says:

Yes, Holly, our Charlie called it the worst example of fiscal responsibility imaginable.

SC’s DeMint and Graham voted against it on the same grounds.

Come to think on it, along with Governor Sanford, a notoriously frugal congressman and governor, SC has senior LEADERSHIP true to fiscal conservatism, while we on this side of the Savannah have a bunch of imposters.

If there ever was a litmus test for conservatism, the medicare D vote was it.

This is why the GOP is in even deeper trouble than those here wish to admit – they still think they can trot out the GOP incumbents who betrayed us all and regain power. Instead they stand to be wiped out in 2008.

16. GOPeach says:

Indy-

I fear what you are saying could have a lot of truth in it. I am a die-hard, dyed in the wool CONSERVATIVE. I vote in Republican Primaires – but I am an old girl and I have seen a lot.

What the GOP must be CONSERVAVTIVE all the way or hang it up! The more we slide in to the mushy middle, the more we loose ground.

The CONSERVATIVE VOTE is on the rise.

17. GOPeach says:

Notice I said CONSERVATIVE – not Republican.

Although my heart is broken that so many good God-fearing folks are republican but have become stagnant and inactive.

18. IndyInjun says:

GabrielSterling it’s not that the Peachpunditeers ‘defended’ the delegation for Medicare D, it’s that they are BLASTING Purdue for a veto that cost each of us 1/1250th as much.

If there is this much furor for costing them $20, where is the furor for costing them $25,000?

19. Gag Halfrunt says:

I do not have a comment. [I am one of them new Democrats. When the other side is self-destructing I am supposed to get out of the way.]

20. joe says:

Gag Halfrunt

I agree. [I am one of those Independant/leaning Libertarians]. These guys are fun.

21. GabrielSterling says:

Gag:

I see your confusion. This isn’t self destruction, this is a vigorous debate.

I know those in your camp aren’t familiar with hashing out new ideas, or allowing for debate within your ranks.

22. LongTimeListener says:

The only debate among Dems is who hates Bush more. There hasn’t been a new idea out of that camp since the Great Society (BTW, how’s that working out)?. The Dems get power in Congress for the first time in 12 years, and what do they do? Increase minimum wage (except for corporations in Non-Stop Nancy’s district). Now there’s a radical new idea to improve things.

23. IndyInjun says:

LTL –

The irony in your post is PROFOUND. The Great Society programs were enacted in 1964. 40 years later it took a REPUBLICAN Congress and White House to pass ANOTHER ONE.

The refrain that “the Democrats would have done worse!”, so often heard, falls on deaf ears.