1. Doug Deal says:

In the primary, all Republicans should be Republicans for Hillary. She is the least likely of the major Dems to win in the general.

You can overcome not being well known, you cannot overcome being hated.

2. Doug Deal says:

My point is that being unknown can be overcome. So, the Reps can campaign and get their name out and rise in the polls. Hillary cannot unget her name out.

3. Icarus says:

Doug,

I remember in 1992 that a lot of my well informed Republican friends wanted someone named Bill to be the Dem nominee. There was no way GHWB would lose to a pot smoking adulterer and draft dodger. Couldn’t happen….

4. Doug Deal says:

No one knew Bill Clinton, and did not hate him in 1992. Being a draft dodger or pot smoker does not equate to poll numbers that show more people dislike you than like you, or that nearly 50 percent of people will not vote for you under any circumstances.

5. Icarus says:

I take no comfort from those poll numbers.

Should Hill become their nominee, the dems will close ranks, the MSM will start their year long love fest, the Rep nominee will be demonized, and the country will have the “time for a change in the White House” shoved down their throat from every angle.

Let’s work on finding the best nominee we can, and work like hell to get him/her elected.

6. Icarus says:

And as for the direct topic of this thread, I’ll go so far as to say anyone who seriously wants Tancredo, Brownback, Paul, or sadly, Gingrich to be our Nominee might as well sign up for “Republicans for Hillary”.

7. Doug Deal says:

I didn’t mean it as a real strategy. I was really just pointing out that it is silly for Republicans to hope to influence the Dems because they are destined to lose in the general election.

The Dems do not have a good selection either, and any of these horrible candidates can back into it.

8. joe says:

Icarus // May 8, 2007 at 9:01 pm

“And as for the direct topic of this thread, I’ll go so far as to say anyone who seriously wants…”

What I want and how I vote may not be the same.

9. Icarus says:

Same here.

I originally wanted Gingrich. But I really don’t want Hillary, Barak, or Breck Girl to be President….

10. buzzbrockway says:

Well I dispute this statement by Bartlett:

Consequently, I anticipate that more and more Republicans and even a few conservatives are going to start looking at supporting one of the Democratic candidates.

If 2008 is truly going to be a Democratic cakewalk, many Republicans will stay home. I just can’t see many Republicans supporting Mrs. Clinton. Bartlett seems to have forgotten how intensly Republicans disliked Mr. Clinton.

Big money people flow to where they think the power is. Right now some think Mrs. Clinton will win so they want to get onboard early. If that changes, these same people will throw money at someone else.