I’m thinking about running for South Fulton City Council

Some of you know how much of a shrill I’ve been for the proposed City of South Fulton.  I’ve written about it at least fifteen times on my site.  I helped get the bill passed.  I’ve either organized or attended town hall meetings on the subject.  And I’ve been all about the proposed City of South Fulton getting a fair shake (i.e., funding from the legislature to conduct a business plan, existing south Fulton cities not cherry-picking prime real estate to annex into their borders, etc.).

Well, I’d be lying to you if I sat here and said that I haven’t given any thought whatsoever to running for a seat on the new South Fulton City Council if the referendum passes next month.

If my neighbors vote yes on June 19th, we’ll have a very rare opportunity to get our new city off on the right foot with the right kind of government that works to keep our taxes low and encourages more local control from the residents of the new City of South Fulton.  However, in order to get the City of South Fulton off on the right foot, we’re going to need to elect experienced and competent individuals to serve on the inaugural City Council and as Mayor.

We’re going to need people who have already developed relationships with members of the General Assembly so that if the new city ever needs anything, the person making the phone calls to our state Senators & Representatives won’t be making cold calls.  We’re going to need people who understand what the problems are because of their deep roots in the community.  We’re going to need people who can bridge the gap between the generations so that citizens of South Fulton, young & old, always feel that they have a stake in the success & future of the City of South Fulton.

As I’ve said, the future of South Fulton is going to be decided on June 19th.  If my neighbors vote yes, then I’ll come back on June 20th and announce my decision to run or not run.  If my neighbors vote no, I’ll still keep working to make South Fulton an even better place to live, work, and play; a place where there’s lower taxes, less government, and more local control.

1. Holly says:

I have to ask if it’s likely that South Fulton will become a town? I don’t know how people in the area feel about the issue.

If so, run, Andre, run!

2. MidGaDawg says:

“I’ll still keep working to make South Fulton […] a place where there’s lower taxes, less government, and more local control.”

Well, Icarus, sounds like he’s well on his way…

3. Andre Walker says:

Unless we vote down the city this year, and the rest of state votes in townships next year, the possibility of a town of South Fulton seems very remote.

4. Andre Walker says:

I think the general consensus is to vote yes because from what I can tell, the folks of unincorporated south Fulton aren’t too happy with their Commissioner or the Fulton County Commission as a whole.

Interestingly enough, after initially being in favor of the City of South Fulton, my commissioner Bill Edwards became against it after he was re-elected last year.

I think we’ll vote yes.

5. Chris says:

Icarus: I’ll give Andre cookies for being Andre.

I like seeing competent clueful democrats run for office. I like it more when they lose to competent clueful republicans. 🙂

6. LymanHall says:

How can you be for “less government” when your political aspirations require creating a new government?

7. Decaturguy says:

Lyman,

You are assuming Andre has some sort of ideology. Andre supports whatever is good for Andre.

8. Andre Walker says:

Because, Lyman, while it does create “more government”, it’s government that’s closer to the people.

Right now, the residents of unincorporated south Fulton have only one county commissioner who actually lives in South Fulton. The other six Fulton County Commissioners live outside of South Fulton; so we’ve got six people, who don’t even live in South Fulton, deciding the future of South Fulton.

I don’t think that’s right, and from what I’ve heard from my neighbors, neither do they.

Sure, it’s technically more government, but it’s more government that’s closer to the people meaning that if I were on the South Fulton City Council right now, and I voted against the interests of my constituents, they could literally come to my house with torches and clubs, and raise all kinds of san.

We can’t say that now for our current government.

9. Demonbeck says:

“they could literally come to my house with torches and clubs, and raise all kinds of san.”

You could just build a monster using the body parts of dead people if that’s what you want.