A happy day ruined.

UPDATE: Here are links to the offending photos. Thanks Rusty.
****WARNING***MAY OFFEND SENSITIVE EYES**** 😉

This time, it’s not Bush’s fault.

I love the parade of the Inman Park Festival, which if it was to have a theme, it would be “The Parade of Silliness.”

It’s a procession of the colorful, first the children, then the dogs, then the Kelly’s Seed and Feed Marching Abominable Band, all in zany costumes marching, walking, and playing raucous music in a carnival style.

But my delight was disrupted by a group that was far from cute. They followed shortly after the Marching Abominable Band, that motley collection of adults who unleash their inner children. These were the grizzled and girth-widened, carrying signs that repeated all the tired slogans about the traitorous nature of the current administration, calling Bush a war criminal, calling for impeachment.

I’ve heard this so often that it’s boring.

Both my friend, who is a liberal, and I were annoyed. We don’t discuss politics, and we didn’t come out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to hear political speech.

I imagine what Grabar saw was not nearly as exciting as this.

1. Doug Deal says:

Politics has replaced religion for the left, so for them it has to permeate all aspects of their life.

Take a look at ESPN discussion boards. There are regular postings by koolaid drinkers that parot the same signs that you saw.

I would love to see a conservative group crash these protests and just take their slogans to their logical conclusion. Imagine signs that say “Peace at all costs”, “Socialism NOW!”, “America is NOT #1” and such included with all the rest.

The funny thing is that they probably would not even notice that it is mocking them, and the carriers of those signs would probably be the most popular people there (according to the protesters).

2. bird says:

Yeah Doug, the ‘Pubs would never take part in anything like, say, flying a confederate flag at Savannah’s parade. Oh wait, Eric Johnson, never mind.

All of these events have a political component. If anything should be sacred from politics, it is UGA football game. Yet Saxby had those games cornered last run, and I bet he will again this time.

Conservatives do the same thing, so your high horse ain’t so high.

3. Skeptical says:

To quote M. Grabar: “My question to them is why do you think I care what your opinion is?”

Well, now we see one of the 29% who refuses to relinquish their willful ignorance. I bet you still believe there was a link between Iraq and 9/11.

My question to her is: why do you think I give a flying f*%k about your poor sensibilities being bruised by those nasty wasty hippies expressing their concern about the troubling (more like illegal) activities of the Bush Administration?

And by the way Mary, when the President of the United States shows nothing but contempt for the people of this country and the rest of the citizens of the world, he has earned the scorn heaped upon him.

If you can’t stand the heat, sweetcheeks, don’t go to Inman Park.

4. buckmckenzie says:

I can’t think of a better example than a UGA football game when it comes to politics overrunning what is a nonpolitical event. Way too many shaggy heads shoving ‘Sonny’ stickers at me this past Fall.

5. What an elitist snobby bitch. I’m sorry the $1 million barrier to entry hasn’t kept out the riffraff. “Honey, are you sure we paid $1,000,000? There are dirty hippies in our neighborhood.”

6. rugby_fan says:

I don’t support this woman’s stance but I do think those marching in the parade could have chosen a better venue or a more appropriate time.

Then again, considering the neighborhood, that would make this display acceptable.

7. Rick Day says:

Unfortunately, the Klingons had to pull out of this years parade, due to so many of us being called to the front lines of the War on Verbs.

Qapla’

8. Demonbeck says:

This is like environmentalists fighting to limit the number of people with access to wilderness.

These protesters are only hurting their cause with escapades like this.

9. Doug Deal says:

I agree demon. I was going to make a similar comment, but you phrased better than I could, so I am glad I didn’t.

I hate George W. Bush, yet I find myself defending him constantly because the leftish whackos go too far with their nonsense, and prove themselves worse.

10. CobbGOPer says:

Like I always say, you’d do your cause more good by putting in some time rounding up votes for candidates who support your position. We’ve seen these people every damn day since Bush was elected the first time. We get it, you want him impeached. But if your protestations don’t translate into votes, then you’re wasting your time.

11. rugby_fan says:

Demonbeck; how are they hurting their cause? Their message at the parade was reaching what, four, maybe five people who didn’t already agree with them? This op-ed influences what, two at the very most three people?

Indeed, palpable damage.

12. SpaceyG says:

If anyone ever needed to be locked into a gated community, it’d be Prissy Mary Grabar. Hate to rain on her parade, but we (whole families even) had a BLAST in and at the Inman Park parade! (See the SGR for even more saucy pics.)

This in spite of the person who yelled at our borrowed vehicular finery, “Go back to Cobb County!” I about fell off the top of the convertible laughing over that one. And then there was the mother who covered her kids’ eyes as we (and blowup doll Tammy, tame by blowup doll standards, or so I hear) passed by her precious little babes’ line of sight.

Jeez… STILL, we managed to have just plain ‘ole rip-roaring all American fun in the midst of so much, uh, raucous diversity. Even in Georgia. It is possible.

13. Demonbeck says:

rugby,

That statement was made prior to seeing the pictures of protestors. I will gladly rescind my statements concerning this group.

From what I have seen, it was pretty tame.

I hate it when people make mountains out of molehills.