That Slavery Apology

The NAACP has gone after Robert Brown for failing to work on a slavery apology. For his part, Robert Brown calls such an apology insulting.

“Give me a break,” Brown said.

“I’m not going to accept an apology for something that killed millions of people, that raped women and took babies from their mothers and then sold them like you would a piece of equipment,” Brown said.

“My grandfathers would tan my hide.”

The NAACP did have nice things to say about Eric Johnson for his willingness to move forward with an apology.

Personally, I tend to agree with Brown. We did, after all, have a war you might have heard of to end slavery. Clearly most of the South fought on the wrong side, but at some point you really do have to move forward. But that’s just me. I didn’t grow up in this country.

1. David says:

What would Brown’s grandparents accept? A big, fat check? It’s all about the money, folks. I wonder if Brown is awaiting that check from the original slave sellers in western Africa? The current citizens of this country have nothing to apologize for. Move on, study hard and succeed.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“We did, after all, have a war you might have heard of to end slavery. Clearly most of the South fought on the wrong side …”
    Oh Lordy, you just opened up a can of worms with that one….lol

But kudos to Robert Brown, he sees it for what it is; a publicity stunt.

3. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

David, Robert Brown is a no-BS guy. He’s not looking for a silly apology and he’s not looking to be bought-off…what he’s telling the NAACP is “F*** off, I’m not your bitch, bitch.”

4. David says:

Ok, I read it wrong. Maybe I jumped the gun because the great majority of those who continue to crow about an apology are doing it for one thing: a prelude to precious “reparations.” My bad.

5. Icarus says:

Senator Brown may well be the best statesman in the Senate, based on his public comments this session.

6. Thig says:

David, maybe I read this wrong also. It appeared to me Senator Brown was rejecting the apology because it was not “enough”, not because he thought it was unnecessary.

7. mlstout says:

NAACP is a racist organization, implicit in the name…advancement of a certain people based on the color of their skin. Their name suggests nothing egalitarian. I know everyone here agrees, but it needed to be restated.

8. buzzbrockway says:

mlstout,

Of course the NAACP seeks the “advancement of a certain people based on the color of their skin” but that doesn’t make it a “racists organization.”

They may have lost much of their effectiveness and allowed people like Julian Bond to shoot his mouth off, but I don’t think the NAACP is a racist organization.

9. Icarus says:

I won’t call them racist, but they have become a partisan arm of the Democrat party, and should not enjoy charitable tax status because of their partisan political activity.

10. bowersville says:

No, every one here does not agree that the NAACP is a racist organization. I know I don’t. I view the NAACP as a political organization for the advancement of concerns of constituents, similar to other PACS.

11. jsm says:

Tell that to Herman Cain, Condi Rice, Alan Keyes, Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas, Michael Steele, J.C. Watts, Rufus Montgomery, Melvin Everson, Catherine Davis, Dylan Glenn, Sunny Warren… that’s just the short list.

Why don’t you “Zing!” them?

12. Bill Arp says:

The whole slavery apology is akin to asking a mexian to apoligize for beans becasue they give us gas. What a joke. Consider that while slavery was a terrible situation it gave some african americans a better situation than they currently had. Furthermore, it is not like all slave owners where white. In Louisanna, Alabama, and Georgia there were blacks that owned their own slaves. Less than 5 % of georgians owned slaves. Slave owners may have done some horrible things but why should we apoligize for the acts that they committed. The only thing this issue accomplishes is opening up a wound that has not healed. Blacks have a chance…they need to step up and use it. By 2020 whites will be a minority. That means all these minority based programs will allow be worthless. I wonder it blacks will recognize that whites are not their enemies and make strides in concert with us rather than try to inject social issues to increase the divide.

A messsage to minorities – we are now at war in another nation quit trying to do the same here. White american do not want blacks to fail. They want everyone to grow stronger as a nation. Organizations like the NAACP are nothing more than a front radicals that are blind to all the steps we collectively made. There are different classes of people all over the nation. Democrats – Republicians, rich – poor, secular – athiest, gay -straight, man – woman, blue eyes – brown eyes, city people- county folks, jews – gentiles. History is to learn from, the NAACP is using it to incite emotions and conjure up the radicals on the right and left of this issue.

All slaveowners are now dead…..and so should this issue. Get a life NAACP!

13. dingleberry says:

JSM,

You have to have the worst sense of humor on Peach Pundit.

I think I’ll go “Zing” your mother!