Eric Johnson: “I Will Not Vote To Override”

From the President Pro Tempore:

I believe that the next best thing to do is place any funds beyond the short-term critical emergency needs into the State’s reserve (or savings) account. It always has been the Republican philosophy that surplus funds in the budget should be used to fully fund our reserves, and then used to reduce debt or returned to the taxpayers. They should not be used to grow government. This was the Senate’s position in passing a proposed constitutional amendment called the ‘Taxpayers Protection Act’ this year. Senate Resolution 20 awaits action by the House and I urge them to pass it. Since our existing reserve funds are below five percent and should be at ten percent to prepare for the inevitable economic slowdown, I will not vote to override the Governor’s veto as long as the surplus money is put into our reserve account. A permanent tax cut only will be possible once the reserves are full.

Notice he does give himself some wiggle room. It does seem to me, though, that if we don’t have a special session, the money will go straight to the reserve fund — so why bother having one?

Sonny saves face by not seeing his veto overridden and the Senate and House save taxpayers $240,000+ in change.

1. griftdrift says:

What about Peachcare and public defenders? Are you sure you want to roll the political by handing the Democrats those two campaign issues?

Voters tend to follow ideals in the abstract but very rarely in the real.

2. Icarus says:

As usual, I have only a casual understanding of the fact and numbers, but I believe there is still about $500Million in incremental spending in the vetoed budget. This is the mid-year adjustment for fast growing school systems and such, which means there are local governments waiting on this money to fund normal operations.

The tax cut/surplus is about $170Million. If no special session is held, and the ’08 budget already passed, local governments are left holding the bag for $500Million.

Again, just my assessment. Your mileage (and actual facts) may vary.

3. CobbGOPer says:

Whatever. What other senators would like to begin handing us their excuses for rolling over? The floor is open…

4. Tommy_a2b says:

griftdrift- Who cares about the Public Defenders office? I’ll give that one to the Dems.

My understanding is that all left over money goes straight to the surplus account. Lets skip the special all together. Everyone wins except Lt. Gov. Cagle, as I seeit, but he does not loose either. Then the Governor can use some flex money to fund the “Needed” stuff.

5. Erick says:

I’m told the Session is required to pass a supplemental. Since the Governor vetoed, there must be a special session.

[UPDATE]:  No, the Constitution says “may” pass a supplemental.  It is not required. Sorry.  EE

6. Tommy_a2b says:

Erick, doesn’t the State Constitution say, “May Pass” not must pass a supplemental budget. Muliple Legislators have told me this.

grift- Pt made but I will still give it to the Dems.

7. bowersville says:

If the House and Senate have passed the mid-year 07 supplemental and transmitted it to the Executive branch, what legal mechanism will they use to revisit it?

Can they just retrieve it and start over?

8. landman says:

Two things to put in perspective as it relates to Demacrats and the situation we face:
    1.We are arguing over what to do with a surplus,if the Dems were in charge there would be no surplus to argue about but rather a hell of a deficit to deal with…
    2. As unfortunate as all of this is,if a melt-down like this has to happen, now is the best time as ever for the Republicans, as the Dems are as weak and unorganized as a Party could be. To that I say thanks BOBBY!!!!!

9. dingleberry says:

Landman,

What do you have to say about your boy Cagle now that he pissed on taxpayers by being the governor’s man in the Senate?

10. Bill Simon says:

“BUT, I proudly voted to waste $19 million in Go F*** Georgia money, most of which will likely go to somebody’s favorite cousin’s boat-ramp paving business…and the other half will go to someone like Dallas Austin to dream-up a Go Fish jingle…”

11. Jason Pye says:

Senator Johnson,

I have a great deal of respect for you, but this is disappointing. I seem to remember you standing behind Cagle when he said, “It’s very exciting to send $142 million back to the taxpayers of Georgia.”

You guys promised it. Now you are going back on it.

12. Chris says:

I’m not landman, but if I were, I’d reply with:

Dingleberry, when did you stop beating your wife?

The very premise of your question is incorrect. Casey is no more the Governor’s man than the Speaker is.

Instead of spending the extra money on p0rk, Cagle wanted it to go to the reserve fund. That is hardly being Governor Go-Fish’s man in the Senate.

13. Andre Walker says:

Landman,

You are so wrong, I don’t even know where to start.

“We are arguing over what to do with a surplus,if the Dems were in charge there would be no surplus to argue…”

My research tells me that there was a supplemental budget when Terry Coleman was Speaker in 2003; there was a supplemental budget in 2002, 2001, 2000, and 1999 when Tom Murphy was Speaker.

Both of these distinguished gentlemen were Democrats; and there wouldn’t have been a need for a supplemental budget, if there weren’t any supplemental funds in need to be appropriated.

“…but rather a hell of a deficit to deal with…”

It was said several times last year when “Shady” Sonny tried to pull the shades down over the eyes of Georgia, but apparently it bears the need to be repeated…

GEORGIA IS MANDATED BY THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO HAVE A BALANCED BUDGET.

If it’s constitutionally-mandated that the budget has to be in balanced, then how in the world are Democrats going to go into deficit spending?

I’ll answer my own question…we can’t and we won’t.

Secondly, Georgia’s annual state budget is mandated by the state Constitution

14. dingleberry says:

LANDMAN,

Maybe you didn’t see my question earlier.

What do you have to say for your boy Cagle now that he has officially become Sonny’s man in the Senate?

15. dingleberry says:

Chris,

I asked landman, are you Landman’s man on Peach Pundit or can Landman come up with an answer for himself?

Face it. Your boy Cagle pussed out and you know it.

Of course, this is the same Chris who, just months ago was saying our first priority needs to be re-electing Governor Sonny Perdue. A lot of good that did us, huh Chris?

16. Painterman says:

Well Senator Kerry er I mean Johnson can always say “I was for it before I was against it!”

Hey Jason there’s an new video idea for you! ;~)

17. Chris says:

I said that and I stand by it. We have a hell of a lot better chance making Sonny act conservative than we would have had making Taylor act conservative.

18. Bull Moose says:

After some thought, I have to say, I now believe that we must fund our responsibilities in state government before we go along offering tax cuts.

Tax cuts that underfund today’s government and shift the burden forward are not fiscally responsible. They are irresponsible.

We need to secure the reserve fund and ensure our state is on strong economic footing before we initiate well initiate tax cuts that may undermine Georgia’s financial footing.

19. Harry says:

Bull,

There’s far too much pork in this budget…with a little fiscal discipline – a 10% overall spending cut – we could rethink sources of revenue and eliminate the state income tax; and once more be competitive in attracting profitable business to this state.

20. dingleberry says:

EVERYONE knows who Landman is.

It’s Chip Rogers.

HEY LANDMAN,

What do you have to say for your boy Cagle now that he has become Sonny’s man in the Senate?

21. Chris says:

We need a wikipedia page listing out all the psuedonyms used on this blog.

For the record “Chris Farris” is really Sonny Perdue. There is no “Chris Farris”. Anyone who met is just an actor hired by the Governor’s office.

22. dingleberry says:

Chris,

You never answered my question. Are you Landman’s man on Peach Pundit?

If so, that would make me wrong. Landman would actually be David Shaffer.

23. Chris says:

dingleberry,

I already told you. I’m Sonny Perdue. 🙂

and Landman is not Shafer’s writing style.
    and I’m not Shafer’s man. Frankly I think the Senator rolls his eyes when he reads some of my posts.
    and I am proud of my boy Casey, if it’s respectable to call the Lt. Governor and someone at least 10 years my Sr. “my boy”.

Who are you dingleberry?

24. dingleberry says:

Chris,

You know who I am. Think…long and hard….

Who posts, under literally hundreds of pseudonyms, the most ridiculous nonsense with the sole purpose of pissing people off? That’s all I do. Do I really think Casey is “Sonny’s Man”. No, I’m just trying to piss people off. Do I really think you’re “Shafer’s Man”, no…but I was trying to piss you off. By the way, I have nothing against you, if anything, you’re good to go in my book. I just enjoy pissing people off.

I’m sure you’ll guess who I am…but please, keep it a secret. 😉

Sincerely yours,

Piece of Dried Poop Hanging from Butt Hair

25. Chris says:

Humm. I don’t know too many a–holes who like pissing people off _and_ are involved with politics who aren’t in or where in the LP.