As An Aside [UPDATE]

SEVERAL SENATE SOURCES SAY THAT CASEY CAGLE IS THE SOLE OBSTACLE TO A VOTE AND SEVERAL OF HIS LOYAL LIEUTENANTS ARE CONTEMPLATING PUSHING THE MATTER TO THE FLOOR TO DEMAND AN OVERRIDE. SENATE DEMOCRATS ARE PREPARED TO OVERRIDE THE GOVERNOR.

It appears the Senate, save Casey, wants to vote to override the Govenor’s veto, but they are concerned about the constitutionality.

However, if both Houses of the General Assembly are in agreement and interpret the matter the same way, the Supreme Court will most likely stay out of the matter. This gives additional cause for the Senate to go on and vote one way or the other and avert a pending constitutional crisis.

1. dingleberry says:

How in the hell did this become about Reed?

Whether you like Casey or not, he’s the one being the douchebag here. He’s the one being the Shill. Ralph isn’t even in the legislature.

Cagle can kiss his little campaing for Governor in 2010 goodbye!

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

You’re right Peach. Ralph Reed would never act like this because he’s a principled conservative with only the best, selfless motives at heart.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

3. Chris says:

Erick.

I’ll second the motion regarding banning GOPeach.

Can we suspend the rules and call the question?

4. freeloader says:

Why does Bobby need to restrain himself. It really couldn’t get any funnier – all he needs to do is sit back and laugh.

5. freeloader says:

If Ralph had been elected, Johnson would be in charge – just like when Taylor was LG. Ralph would have been irrelevant.

6. Demonbeck says:

Ralph Reed is a God-fearing man who tithes in an interesting way.

He takes the millions he bilks from his customers and throws it all up in the air.

Whatever God catches, He can keep.

7. bowersville says:

The ruling by the court of public opinion on election day will be of far greater importance than the Ga. Supreme ruling, if there is one.

Make no mistake, this is political brinkmanship and the stakes couldn’t be any higher.

Senate, choose wisely. Override it and let the chips fall.

8. I Am Jacks Post says:

Nice one, Demonbeck. Ralph Reed and Pac Man Jones. They’re both “making it rain.”

9. CobbGOPer says:

If Casey holds up this override, IMHO that makes Richardson the “champion” of conservative principles as we move toward the longest campaign for governor in GA history. If he doesn’t, it makes Sonny a lame duck immediately.

Guess it depends on what Sonny is proposing to do for Casey in return, if indeed that is what’s going on behind closed doors.

10. CHelf says:

We have to ask Bobby if he actually did ever lose Perdue after seeing all of this transpire. What has single-handedly sent the majority party off the edge of the cliff and now into a Constitutional crisis? This makes the GOP look like keystone cops.

11. stephaniemills21 says:

Seriously,

Are you people really surprised at Sonny’s actions (or lack thereof)? He has been odd man out in every session thus far in his tenure. Every year during the session I hear folk question “where has Sonny been?”

He likes it this way. That way he can say he did not cause the problems and was left with only one course of action – the veto. It does not matter what we all think, but how it plays to the rest of the state. And I think that the way most people will see it is the way that McLagan put it: “Now that the House is done with their temper tantrum hopefully they can come back in and finish their homework.” Now, Sonny gets to be that “Nanny Government” he always warns us about and teach those guys in the legislature who is boss.

12. Chris says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Casey has something up his sleeve. The big question is what, and when will the rest of us go “Oh, duh, should have seen that coming”.

13. CHelf says:

If anything we see a few people’s true colors in this. And even some like Mr. Scott have taken some greater hits on this. Regardless of how rosy this turns out, you cannot say this wasn’t costly.

14. Icarus says:

Chelf,

If you put a cost-benefit analysis on this, it’s a project only the government would underwrite.

15. rightofcenter says:

To all,
    I apologize for stating the obvious, but you guys take yourselves way to seriously. These “this kills Casey in ’10” or this is Sonny’s deathknell” or “Bobby should be running through the woods shouting” are hilarious because they are so far off. Nobody but people who get their jollies on politics (which is about 1% of the voting public) even pays attention to the General Assembly during an off-year. This will have no bearing on anybody’s popularity. Sonny’s popularity is totally unrelated to what goes on when the legislature is in session and totally related to the rest of the year. Casey will be the same way. When the session (or special session) is over, he’ll be just like Sonny and get to play his Lt. Gov. card all across the state. Barnes was a magnicent “legislating governor” but he was horrible at the rest of the stuff.

Okay, back to the sandbox for you who strive on this stuff.

16. adamsmith4883 says:

You say only about 1% of the public is will remember this. But, that one percent will be the ones who will actively campaign for a certain candidate, be writing letters to the editor, and, with some of them, be drafting attack ads. It doesn’t matter if people remember this. They can be easily reminded by those who do…

17. griftdrift says:

Yeah and no voters remembered the 95 federal government shut down either.

And Austin Scott just lost his chairmanship.

Can’t wait for the convention!

18. Erick says:

I’m upset none of you noticed my brillaint, on the go legal explanation of why what the House did just might be unconstitutional.

19. CobbGOPer says:

Besides, rightofcenter, we can all see the direct mail and commercials now:

“Casey Cagle says he’s the conservative candidate for Governor. He says he wants principled tax and spending policies. But in 2006, he failed Georgia’s taxpayersby killing a $142 million tax cut…”

And the next line would run something like “Glenn Richardson (or Westmoreland, or Isakson, etc.), the REAL conservative for Governor.”

20. Demonbeck says:

Philly,

Unless you have proof, I’d be very careful with who and how you slander public officials.

21. CHelf says:

We know all about those little quiet backroom spreading of rumors….reminds me of somone’s particular M.O.

22. Philly says:

I said it was a rumor, not fact. It is a rumor that has been floating around for several months. Can any of you deny that you have not heard that rumor?

If Bill Simon gets away with all the sludge he posts, I don’t see an issue with posting a rumor.

23. Philly says:

Demonbeck, do you have proof about all the things you guys have said about Ralph? Is that slander or libel?

24. Donkey Kong says:

C’mon now, where is yall’s impassioned loyalty to Cagle that you demonstrated so heavily during the elections? Now some speculate Reed would be doing better?

Look, Cagle has so far done an impeccable job. I really hope he sees something that we are all missing. My first impression from Cagle was that he was weak and a pushover. Although I still supported his opponent in the primaries, with the exception of a few attack ads I found to cross the line, he earned a lot of respect from me. Even more so for his actions this session, until a few days ago. For all of our sake, I hope Cagle pulls something out of his sleeve to prove us wrong. My first impression was not good, and I don’t wish to return to it.

25. Philly says:

I never called Cagle a pedophile. I said young aide. I am 58 years old, anyone under 30 is young to me.

Cagle has become Perdue’s puppet. No suprise…

26. bowersville says:

Avoiding the threadjack and moving right along.

Travis Fain @ Macon.com may be worth a read…The Speaker and the Lt. Gov are not in the chamber.

Compromise?

Richardson’s steam seems to center on whether the supplemental exists or not and whether it can be carried over to the 08 fiscal budget if it doesn’t exist.

27. bowersville says:

The AJC PI is reporting Dick Armey has weighed in with a letter to Casey Cagle urging a veto.

Now it’s back to the sand box for me.

28. CobbGOPer says:

Excerpted from Armey’s letter to Cagle, which (for bowersville’s sake) urges Cagle to OVERRIDE the veto:

“Indeed, according to the latest rankings from the Tax Foundation, Georgia’s state and local tax burden of 10.3 percent is higher than neighboring states Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.

It is time to put taxpayers first, and to remember that it is their hard-earned money that is under discussion. As such, I urge your support for the $142 million in tax relieve for Georgia taxpayers.”

Right on.

29. CHelf says:

Can someone actually break down the “tax relief” other than the $50-100 potentially for only those who own property?

30. Erick says:

Hey Philly, while I was tossing another comment from another post, I noticed yours on Cagle. It’s gone. No need to get into people’s private lives.

31. Inside_Man says:

Erick,

Somone did notice your hotshot legal analysis – very good work. However the House has a convincing argument that Perdue’s press conference last night meets the constitutional requirement, as he signed and explained the reasons for the veto on camera. The Constitution (that section) was written before television, so if the AG or SC rules with the House (and several of them are no fans of Sonny) then the Senate would be forced to vote. If not, some are saying that the Senate would override if given the chance, now one of them has to stick his neck out and make the motion, so Cagle can refuse to entertain it. If an appeal of the decision of the chair follows Cagle stopping the motion, then it takes the same number of Senators to override Cagle as it does to override Sonny. Tonight could be more interesting that this morning if things play out right.

32. Erick says:

Inside,
    As I said in that post, I concur with the way the House is headed. There need not be a formal transmittal as Sonny has already informed the legislature of his veto and the reasons for the veto pursuant to Subparagraph C of the relevant section of the Constitution.

And the relevant subsection on the override does not actually say what the House must be in receipt of — it could be receipt of notice.

33. CHelf says:

Hmmm…I guess if this sets precedent, future governors better not be caught on tape even hinting of a veto. Be careful with emails discussing a veto and make sure no one is saying anything in IM’s. The walls have ears.

34. Erick says:

Doug, I believe the vetoed legislation is returned to the secretaries of the two bodies.

You can bet that’s what the Governor will argue. And he’d probably win.

35. Demonbeck says:

Because he would be correct Erick. A press conference does not make policy. It can announce policy but there are specific actions that make it.