Pollutin’ Prius

OK so it doesn’t really pollute, but the Toyota Prius won’t pass Georgia’s emissions test:

Well, sorta. It’s more like the Prius refuses to take the test. When the Prius is set to idle at 2,500 rpm on the tester, it does what it’s supposed to do. It shuts off the engine to save fuel. Georgia’s pre-hybrid equipment issues a failing grade because of an incomplete test.

Instead of just acknowledging its system is outdated, Georgia still requires Prius owners to pay the $25 testing fee for an “aborted test.” That allows them to get a failed certificate from the tester which car owners must take to one of five waiver centers (M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) to be granted permission to buy a license plate. Don’t ya love bureaucracy?

1. Jeff Emanuel says:

Depeding on the year of your car, it’s supposed to be completed every year (in specified areas) so that you can re-register it and receive your license plate sticker for that year.

You’d think that somebody smart could come up with a blanket permanent waiver for folks with vehicles like these Prii, which by their very design have below-limit emissions.

2. Ronin says:

Just another example of Government moving a much slower pace than industry/technology.

In Georgia, only 13 Counties in Georgia require emissions inspections:

Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale

Here for more.

3. drjay says:

(in specified areas)–so is it a metro atlanta thing that we unwashed south ga masses are untouched by?

4. John Galt says:

It’s more like a racket.

When I recently took my car in for the annual emissions exam (I wonder if he gave my car a local first?) a sign on the door said “Cash Only Please.”

When I handed Dr. Goodfist the required $20 bill he pulled out a roll of bills that would have made a pimp jealous. I felt like a ho. Not any special kind of ho with particular hair qualities. Just your garden variety ho.

5. GAWire says:

There is a simple solution for this: Don’t purchase shitty vehicles!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I take pride in the fact that I am personally funding a significant portion of OPEC’s annual budget with two SUVs and I appreciate the Christmas card they send each year.

6. GAWire says:

There’s a simple solution here: Don’t purchase shitty vehicles!!!!!!!!!

Now, for me, I am personally funding a significant portion of OPEC’s annual budget with my two SUVs, and I appreciate the Christmas card they send every year. Thanks, OPEC!