Perdue vetoed the supplemental

My sources say that Governor vetoed HB94 – the 2007 Supplemental Budget – and the $140M tax cut brokered by the Speaker and Lt. Governor. Looks like Sine Die isn’t tomorrow.

This is probably the first time a Georgia Governor vetoed a tax cut in recent memory.

The House will most likely hold an override vote tomorrow.

Update: (10:11pm) I’m told the House has the votes to override but the Senate is afraid to go against the Governor.

1. Ronin says:

Wow. I gotta go with BK on this one. The entertainment value is priceless.

I asked this once before and got nothing … what is Perdue’s angle with this fish thing? How can it be worth this much trouble without some sort of “other” interest?

2. Chris says:

I think at this point the Governor is desperate. He knows in a few years the only future he’ll have in this state is fishing.

🙂

3. Ronin says:

Chris, I just saw this on your blog. Hilarious.

I think Kirk and Perdue have the same affliction … a false sense of awesomeness.

4. ToddH says:

Of course the Senate is afraid to stand up to the Governor. They are a reflection of their leadership and Cagle doesn’t have the balls to stand up to daddy.

5. bowersville says:

Then why did the Senate start the fray? Why didn’t they just sign off on the original supplemental budget and be done with it.

Why pretend to be fiscally conservative and then cave, this makes the Senate look like…..dung.

6. Burdell says:

Dung is a little strong. Cowards, maybe.

The Senate does have a record this session of caving to pressure on controversial issues.

No parliamentary tricks this time, though. They’ll have to vote one way or another. For some reason, I’m confident they’ll come through on this one.

7. Holly says:

The Senate is afraid to go against the governor. . . Shouldn’t they be more afraid of their constituents at this point?