This is just odd

I just heard Andrew Napolitano on Fox News Radio say this, but apparently the killer in the Virginia Tech massacre constantly listened to the song “Shine” by Collective Soul:

Two roommates of Virginia Tech gunmen Cho Seung-Hui told CNN’s Gary Tuchman on Tuesday night that the 23-year-old English major listened to a lot of Zeppelin and Nirvana on his laptop, but he mostly played the same song over and over again: Collective Soul’s “Shine,” the 1993 release off of the Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid album.

In case you didn’t know, Collective Soul is from Stockbridge. I wonder how they feel about this. The song isn’t violent and it could be easily be mistaken for a Christian rock song.

That’s just weird.

1. Demonbeck says:

I had a roommate my freshman year (1994-1995) who played the Eagles Unplugged album non-stop in our room.

I would turn it off when he left, only to have him turn it back on when he came back in.

It’s a wonder I didn’t climb up the chapel tower with a high-powered rifle after enduring “Desperado” one too many times.

2. SpaceyG says:

Heck, when I was in college, when the New Age and Punk music scenes were breaking big time, I had a Sorority Susie roomie who listened only to Beach Music. I thought she was the biggest weirdo/geek/freak/idiot on the planet, but the worse thing she ever did was sleep with dozens of drunk frat guys… from what I could tell.

3. Ronin says:

I’d make an even stronger statement than that … Collective Soul has a very strong spiritual (Christian/Protestant) background and it is definitely reflected in their music. I remember reading an article on them (Rolling Stone I think?) and they were unabashed about their faith.

As for the video games … I’ve heard a couple of pundits prematurely blame it on video games, but I haven’t heard any of the roommates mention it yet. I think the video game excuse is way overblown and, for once in my life, agree with Rush Limbaugh on something. I have moved him down my jackass list. 🙂

4. Ronin says:

I have moved him down my jackass list.

And before anyone else says it … I’m sure he is relieved to know this. 🙂

5. Skeptical says:

I second what buzz said. From all the little talking heads on tv yesterday, it was way too much violence in video games that triggers this sort of thing.

Ya know, I play games on my computer (ok, they are city building games), but that doesn’t make me want to go out and start my own empire. Wait a minute…maybe I should…

6. ToddH says:

When I was in college I lived in an apartment off campus and one night my next door neighbor played “Maria, Maria” by Santana over and over all night long. I later found out that he had drunkenly left his room that night to go to a party and didn’t notice, in his stupor, that he had left the music on. I still can’t stand that &^%$^ song.

7. buzzbrockway says:

I remember some years ago some guy flipped his car and was stuck under a bridge. He had a cassette of Abba playing and couldn’t reach it to turn it off….for eight hours.

8. drjay says:

when i was at governor’s honors down in valdosta oh so many years ago–my roommate for the summer constantly, i mean constantly played the “dirty dancing” soundtrack–so if i ever snap, patrick swayze would likely be the target…

9. Donkey Kong says:

Btw, I tried to find an mp3 of it, and couldn’t. If you really want to hear it, I know the author and can probably procure a copy.

10. Skeptical says:

Well, more than just a few years ago now, I was at Disney World one summer. I got stuck on the It’s a Small World ride. For four hours. FOUR HOURS!!!! They wouldn’t let us off and they wouldn’t turn off the damn song. To this day, if I ever see an Eskimo kid, I will go apeshit on him and that song makes my eye twitch.

11. John Galt says:

Whatever happened to the good old days when the likes of Tipper Gore just blamed all the world’s problems on those satanic rock lyrics?

I miss W.A.S.P.

12. Demonbeck says:

Erick is not trying to put drjay’s roommate into a corner. He’s trying to pull him out of the closet.

It would have been more discreet if Erick asked, “Can your rommate legally adopt in Georgia?”

13. Demonbeck says:

The PMRC was thoroughly trashed by Ice T’s Body Count in “First Amendment”

I never could understand why no one ever brought up Tipper Gore’s involvement in that group when her hubby ran for President.

14. John Galt says:

Blackie Lawless would have put a boot in Cho’s ass, thrown him out the window, taken everyone to the bar for drinks, sang the Hokie fight song and then gone home with at least two cheerleaders.

That’s just how we rolled in the 80s.