Senate passes 2008 budget

The State Senate passed their version of the 2008 budget yesterday:

The Senate must now reconcile its spending plan with the one approved in the House. The plan, which passed 53-1, boosts funding by a record high $1.6 billion. That’s a 5.7 percent hike from the year before.

The House quickly disagreed with the Senate’s version, sending the measure into a conference committee. “It’s obvious the season of Lent is over, because the Senate is once again enjoying pork,” said state Rep. Ben Harbin, the House’s top budget writer.

[…]

_The Senate eliminated raises that the House had provided for supervisory officers in the Georgia State Patrol who had been left out of an earlier pay raise. The 100 state patrol cars provided in the House budget were reduced to 25 in the Senate version.

_The House had provided $40 million to reduce austerity cuts in the funding formula the state uses to pay operating expenses for schools. The Senate provided just half of that, which leaves the cuts at some $120 million.

_The Senate cut money for the Tour de Georgia bicycle race, reducing the $500,000 the House had provided to $100,000. The Senate erased the $100,000 the House had set aside for the Warner Robins Air Force Base Museum.

I’m truly disappointed that the Senate didn’t continue on the path of fiscal responsibility, but I believe most of us expected this. The Senator that voted against the budget deserves an award.

1. StevePerkins says:

Why would the House’s top budget writer have the gall to chastize the Senate for pork? Is my memory fuzzy in that the House’s version of the budget had twice the pork, and was pared DOWN in the Senate?!?

2. Holly says:

yet

It restores . . . $19 million for [Governor Perdue’s] “Go Fish” tourism program, designed to lure lucrative bass tournaments to the state by building boat ramps and making other improvements.

Wow.

3. ToddH says:

I wonder who the one dissenting vote was…

2010 stands to be one helluva interesting year. Richardson vs. Cagle…Live from the Thunderdome!

4. ToddH says:

I noticed this in the linked article:

“Perdue must sign both budget measures into law and has said he will look at the two spending plans together. He has expressed concerns about a $142 million tax cut for homeowners contained in the 2007 budget and said he preferred his proposed tax cut for retirees instead.”

Call me crazy but isn’t the tax cut for homeowners a tax cut that would benefit more Georgians?

5. Bill Simon says:

I’ll bet you that as long as that $19 million chucnk for Sonny’s Fish Fry is in the budget, Sonny couldn’t care less about any other component of the budget and will sign on ever line he can to approve it.

6. bowersville says:

Do I understand this correctly?

$142 mil is being returned in the form of property tax refunds. According to the DoR, refunds on average will range from $23.92 in Towns to $106.51 in Crawford County.

The House and Senate budget for fiscal ’08 will include $120 mil in cuts to the funding formula for schools in the state.

When the BOE raises the millage rate on my property to make up the difference, will my property tax hike be more than the refund?

And the Governor’s concerned about the property tax refund, we’ll so am I. I need it to pay for the increase in my property tax.