Video of Obama’s rally.

Check this out from the author of the above video:

It was a beautiful day, about 65 degrees on the lovely campus park. The spirit was calm and happy but a little subdued. I think people are almost afraid to have hope for the future but really want to.

It’s no longer a political campaign it’s a religion!

1. Donkey Kong says:

I really see Obama as a larger threat than Hillary. Hillary may have the political machine and experience that Obama lacks. But I think the mood of the American people is somewhat similar to the 1976 Presidential elections, in that they see the current Presidency shrouded in secrecy, and they may view Hillary as more of the same in that regard. That mood swept imbecile Jimmy Carter into power with his transparent image, and could possibly sweep Mr. Obama in as well.

2. Doug Deal says:

If the best reason they can come up with to vote for Obama is the slogan “Tell your momma to vote for Obama”, they have a pretty tough hill to climb.

Right now, he is a whole lot of fluff, and has not been tested in any way. Games are not won in batting practice. Let’s wait until under a year before the election to make predictions on who is going to win it.

3. Ronin says:

It’s no longer a political campaign it’s a religion!

Says a member of the America’s own religious political party. 🙂

4. Donkey Kong says:

“Right now, he is a whole lot of fluff, and has not been tested in any way.”

Agreed, except I’d say he hasn’t been tested in any _substantial_ way. My point is that in a normal presidential election, if there is such a thing, Obama would stand little chance. But because of the public’s distrust of the executive office, and the apparent transparency that he brings, his chances are vastly improved.

5. Rick Day says:

No one seems to give the man credit for vowing to not take money from lobby groups or lobbyists directly. So far, so good.

Its not perfect, but it should give a clue as to what type of administration we may expect to see under him.

Status Quo aplogists blowing off a rally of 20k in Atlanta (on a threatening stormy morning) is whistling past their graveyard, IMHO.

Please. Continue to underestimate the man.

6. StevePerkins says:

Not blowing it off at all, Rick… just scratching my head and trying to figure it out. I agree that there is something there, and he shouldn’t be dismissed too quickly.

7. Rick Day says:

Steve, I can do is give you my point of view.

I am old enough to have voted for Carter, and since Reagan, have seen a steady erosion of our government into a drug-war police state, a quagmire of special interest and a cesspool for Christian social re-engineering.

There was a time when I may have supported Hillary, ONLY because I’m sick of 500+ years of Christian dominated white male Eurocentrism. Any woman could do better, IMHO.

But as I grew older and observed her more, I realized that she is no source of change, only a pretty (!) face on the same machine.

I perceive that Obama as just too ‘new’ to be sullied by the system. He stood up and opposed the war, which I have done since Sept 12, 2001. This is an issue we see eye to eye on.

When he talks about hope, people believe him; I believe him. When others talk about hope, its a sound byte.

He is sharp, young, black, has a great future as a leader in the world, and not at all like me.

I like that.

The African American community is desperate for solid leadership (not the “Fire Imus” group of spew-speaks). Mr. Obama is going to politically energize that community in a way that finally brings them to the table with everyone else, sharing in The Dream.

The people still have the power and the people are speaking. Do you hear them, Leges? Do you care?

To me, he represents the hope that this country can back away from the precipice of following Rome into history. You know what I’m sayin’…

Not bad for a crusty old white guy, huh?

8. StevePerkins says:

I’ll leave the racial bits alone… I don’t loathe myself enough to see eye to eye exactly, but I’m not angry-white enough to argue the point either.

However, you DO know that religion comes in all shapes and sizes… right? The far-right political evangelical crowd gets all the attention from the media, because they are the most polarizing and therefore draw the most attention/ratings. However, Ralph Reed and Jerry Falwell are hardly representative of “Christianity”… they don’t even represent the majority.

The majority of Christians are Roman Catholic (such as Rudy Guliani)… which, when you take away issues of sexuality, are one of the most left-wing demoninations out there (do a search on “liberation theology” or “social justice”). Catholics are followed by mainline Protestants, such as Hillary, John Edwards, and John McCain… who tend to turn their noses up at mixing religion with politics.

Finally, you have outright liberal Christian denominations, such as the United Church of Christ (which includes Barack Obama). My own denomination (Quaker) has a long history in slavery abolition, women’s emancipation, peace work and conscientious-objector status, civil rights, and equality for homosexuals. As a libertarian, I’m probably the most “radical right-winger” among all my religious friends.

The problem of painting so recklessly with such a large brush is that the Left (and many libertarians) portray religion as a scarecrow, with little actual bearing on reality. They then turn their noses up at the scarecrow and separate themselves from it. However, by doing this they are completely cutting themselves off from the 90%+ of Americans whose experience does not correspond with the scarecrow… and they completely cede that ground to the far Right. It would be almost funny, if it weren’t so pathetic and sad.

9. Donkey Kong says:

Rick,

Obama offers something that Reagan did–hope. But unlike Mr. Reagan, he also offers a lot of lousy policy to go along with it. I share in your discontent with a good deal of the GOP policy (“conservative” my butt), but its difficult for me to view his lack of experience as a good thing. Reagan was at least Governor of one of our largest states. Obama is a young Senator. I am afraid that his foreign policy will be pathetic like your boy Carter’s.

Inspiring? Yes. Socialist? Yes.

Inspiration is neutral–can be used for good or bad. Hitler inspired the Germans, FDR inspired the Americans. Let’s look beyond inspiration and positivism and analyze Obama’s policy.

10. StevePerkins says:

Yes, but can you give us the “good” examples now?

11. buzzbrockway says:

I don’t underestimate him at all, which is why I posted the video of the rally. I’ve said before he’s not the flavor of the month, he a serious contender for the Democrat’s nomination.

Heck, if he had a crowd of 5000 I would have been impressed – 20,000 is astounding.

12. Donkey Kong says:

Haha, Steve, how about Reagan? Washington and Lincoln are good examples too, but its depressing to have to reach back centuries into history to find an inspiring AND good President. I’d add Teddy Roosevelt to the list.

Bush was inspiring for the week following 9/11, but now he’s become more feeble than William Henry Harrison, and Harrison died 32 days into his presidency. As of now, I’d say that Hillary has more balls (can I say that?) than our dear President, and, umm, it’s easy to forget, but I read somewhere that Hillary is a woman.

13. rugby_fan says:

“Inspiring? Yes. Socialist? Yes.”

14. Doug Deal says:

Last election, Howard Dean was the unstoppable juggernaut that energized crowds and had energetic supporters who were going to drive him to the Presidency. Then primaries were held.

He may be the second coming of Buddy Christ, as you guys proclaim, but he is still a neophyte who has never been tested on the national level.

15. Donkey Kong says:

“What leads you to believe he is a Socialist? Oh, right he is a Democrat which means he is automatically liberal.”

Oh, right, since I call a Democrat a socialist I have no justification for it. Here are just three examples:

Universal Health Care:
    “We will have universal health care in this country by the end of the next president’s first term.”
    – Obama, 1/25/07

Government-subsidized Wages
    “Transitional jobs are a promising way to help chronically unemployed people break into the workplace. *This approach places participants into temporary, subsidized wage-paying jobs.*”
    – From his campaign website, emphasis mine

Global Climate Change:
    “We need to take steps to stop catastrophic, manmade climate change…Obama is an original cosponsor of legislation to establish limits on greenhouse gas emissions.”
    – From his campaign website

No one suggests he’s a Vladimir Putin or Hugo Chavez. I generalized in calling him a socialist (horrors!), but in practical terms and comparatively within American politics, Mr. Obama is a socialist.

16. rugby_fan says:

So then Donkey Kong, should we generalize for both parties?

I could also generalize and call Obama a moderate, but I won’t attempt to do so.

17. Donkey Kong says:

And I’m saying that underneath his respectable optimism and inspiration lies socialist policies such as universal healthcare and wage subsidies.

I’m being serious when I say I respect his optimism and transparency, but we can’t forget his political beliefs simply because of charisma.

18. rugby_fan says:

Donkey Kong, what you are saying is absurd.

I don’t like Obama, I think he will collapse under the slightest amount of pressure. But I also despise sweeping generalizations and labeling opponents with hyperbole.

19. Donkey Kong says:

“How about whenever a Republican wants to abolish the IRS that they want to destroy the government and live in anarchy.”

See, the difference between my points and yours is that my points are substantiated by OBAMA’s WEBSITE. Yours are provocative rhetoric. Find me a serious GOP presidential contender who wants to “abolish the IRS…destroy the government and live in anarchy” and I’ll concede.

Sure, there are crazy right-wing wackos that want to abolish the government and live in anarchy. But I’m not picking some left-wing radical and painting the Dems with that brush. I’m talking about (arguably) their presidential front runner. Let’s compare apples to apples here.

20. Donkey Kong says:

Rugby, I might have come across a bit arrogantly in saying “See, the difference between my points and yours is that my points are substantiated by OBAMA’s WEBSITE. Yours are provocative rhetoric.” My apologies if I did. Not intended. But, ignoring any a– like overtones, my points still stand.