Ca$hMoney

10th CD candidate Jim Whitehead “has raised $264,521.87 from 491 individual donors with expenditures totaling just $21,060.65” since his February 19th announcement of candidacy for the late Rep. Charlie Norwood’s open House seat, according to a press release.

1. Brian from Ellijay says:

I don’t believe that is accurate. If I remember correctly, none of the legislators who ran for the sixth raised a penny before Sine Die. Also they reported any gift received immediately on their Senate disclosures.

Correct me if I am wrong.

2. Bill Simon says:

No problem, Brian: You’re wrong. 🙂

The state ethics commission’s rules on when a legislator can and cannot raise money ONLY applies to the public offices under its’ jurisdiction; that is, only Georgia state offices.

Federal laws cover members of Congress.

3. tony r says:

To the brouns, greenes and sendelbech, etc. Cmon guys. Go for something else. Don’t potentially hurts the republicans’ ability to win this thing and give the folks up there a good representative

4. A little bit of trivia, you can thank the legislature’s very own Jean-Luc Picard (Doug Teper) for the ability of legislators to raise money for federal office during the session.

Hard to believe now, but Teper was pondering a run for (I believe) the 4th district sometime in the mid ’90’s and he sued (I believe Teper v Miller) to get the provision overturned that prevented federal candidates from raising money who were also in the legislature.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

5. Bill Simon says:

1st Ballot for the 10th:
    Broun, Jr. will get 20-30%
    Greene will get 10-15%
    Whitehead will get 40-45%

The rest of the ticket will divvy-up the remainder.

2nd Ballot for the 10th:
    Broun, Jr. will get 35%
    Whitehead will get 65%

Whitehead will win by 30 country miles.

6. Federalist says:

My forecast model gave Whitehead 30-35%, Broun 25-27%, Greene 20-23%, and then from 1-9% for each of the remainging candidates. This is, of course, assuming that each of the candidates gets his/her name on the ballot. My model, however, was only able to expain 3/5 of the variance in special elections to the U.S. House. Furthermore, with the announcement of Whiteheads $250K+ in the bank…it would not be suprising if many of the candidates started dropping out of the race. This district may be too far gone for the Dems to take, considering that if all but one of the Dem. candidates dropped out, and Dem voter turn out remained constant, the percentage of the vote received would be around 30%. Terry Holley needs to stop thinking that the 50,000+ votes cast for him in November were votes for him. They were votes for a Democrat, and I would not be suprised to see him beat out by a different Democratic candidate.

7. Jeff Emanuel says:

Heh. Here’s a quandary: whether to take anything seriously that Federalist wrote after after “My forecast model….,” given the drivel he/she usually posts here.

8. Federalist says:

Jeff
    Just because we disagree does not mean that my forecast model is not credible. I did not just pull the model out of thin air. Opinions and science are different…but I suppose the GOP’s idea of science is a matter of opinion.

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

Federalist, do you really want to get into a p*ssing match over science knowledge? I really doubt it.

And my previous comment still stands in its entirety.