Greene headed to Greene Street.

10th CD candidate Bill Greene will appear with Chris Simcox of the Minutemen tomorrow on Greene Street in Augusta. According to this press release:

“The area we’ll be at is one of the most notorious congregating spots for illegal aliens in Augusta,” said Chris Simcox, the founder of the Minuteman organization. “We’ll be there to make a point — someone has dropped the ball on this out-of-control problem, and we need a strong activist like Bill Greene in Congress to make sure it’s taken care of now.”

The press conference will take place at 3:00 p.m. sharp, in the 1400 block of Greene Street in Augusta, across from the Salvation Army building. “Chris Simcox and I have worked side by side on this issue for a long time now,” said Bill Greene, considered to be the leading conservative candidate in this special election. “I’ve been to the Mexican border as a Minuteman, and I’ve led nationwide grassroots activism to secure our borders. It’s past time for slow-moving ‘politician talk.’ It’s time for action.

1. Holly says:

While I understand why they’re going to Greene Street. . . perhaps it would’ve been a better idea to hold the conference somewhere in the 10th Congressional district. Greene Street is in the 12th.

2. tony r says:

Just to get ahead of damy 46 –

Bill greene has a problem.

His name is jim whitehead.

And the fact that apparently bill greene has dementia.

3. bowersville says:

Why didn’t Bill handle this on Greene Street in Gainesville while he was on the Zoeller show. Knowing Martha, she would have told him this is Deal’s district and saved him some embarrassment.

C’mon Bill, where’s your campaign manager from? NYC? Maybe he/she needs to ride off into the sunset with Imus.

Get with it or Marlow will out poll you.

4. Holly says:

To be fair, which I totally wasn’t in my last comment, the 10th and 12th do affect each other a great deal in these parts, so I see the point of going into downtown. Charlie Norwood said time and time again that we couldn’t ignore the 12th because whatever happened there affected us in the 10th daily, and he was right.

However, there are some striking differences in Charlie Norwood doing an event like this between 2002 and 2006 and in Bill Greene doing one now.

Let me first of all point out that Charlie Norwood at one time represented much of the 12th district, including all the parts of Augusta-Richmond County. People knew him well here.

Secondly, he was a well-regarded, sitting Congressman helping out a newer colleague when he held events in the 12th, and he had Max in tow when he held them.

Is there a problem with illegal immigration in the 12th? You bet, but there’s also a problem in the 10th. If your name recognition is low in this area and you’re running for (and not yet elected to) the 10th, I really think it would work best for such a candidate to stick with the 10th until he’s actually elected. Then said candidate can take on a wider area.

5. I Am Jacks Post says:

“Greene, . . . considered to be the leading conservative candidate in this special election.”

Says who? Alan Keyes? Jeesh.

6. JayHanley says:

From what I understand, Greene, like a couple of the other announced candidates, lives outside the district. In Greene’s case, I hear his residence is on the Gwinnett County side of Braselton.

As I have said before, I’d have a problem voting for someone who does not live in the district.

7. Holly says:

Jay, where are you getting that from? It’s interesting information, to be sure, but it needs to be verified.

On an entirely different note, I went to the rally today – and it was me, a camera girl from News 12, a camera guy from News Channel 6, a reporter from The Metro Spirit, Mr. Simcox, the head of the Augusta chapter of the Minutemen, Bill Greene, his son, his campaign manager, and a guy from Whitehead’s campaign who was observing.

Mr. Greene naturally took the time to speak with me, and he was very kind. He does know an awful lot about the immigration issue, which was impressive. He’s well-spoken, and he has a jovial demeanor. However, I caught him on something that I want to point out here.

He (or someone from the campaign) apparently read my comments about the location being in the 12th district before showing up to the event. That was well and good. He made sure to tell me that he wasn’t the one who chose the location, that the local Minutemen had done so. I was with him there. I’ve worked for candidates who’ve had local groups insist on certain spots to hold events. So up until that point, Mr. Greene had me placated on the issue.

Then he said, “we’re actually right outside the line to the 10th here,” and motioned with his fingers a line in the sand. The line was nowhere near his line in the sand; it was several blocks away.

I am fine with candidates not knowing something if they admit it. They can’t know everything; there’s lots to learn in a Congressional race! Yet Mr. Greene was very clearly pointing to the ground and symbolizing a line. . . to someone who knew the location was wrong. Why not just stop with the comment about the local Minutemen chosing the location? It was a sufficient explanation.

But now the horse is dying. I shan’t beat it further.

The conference largely went well once it was underway. Mr. Simcox caught one of the reporters who had mentioned he’d never seen anyone who “looked like an immigrant” on the property. Mr. Simcox was quick to tell the reporter that only 45% of illegal immigrants were of Hispanic origin – that was not something I knew beforehand.

Part of Mr. Simcox’s comments raised a flag, though. He pointed out that Jim Whitehead never tackled the immigration issue in Richmond County when he was a county commissioner. I suppose he wouldn’t. . . he was a commissioner in Columbia County.

All in all, I’m glad I took the time to go to the rally. Going to these types of events is the only way to really get a firm grasp on who’s running for the seat and what they’re made of. My opinion on this candidate is formed: he’s a nice guy who I would probably vote for if Jim Whitehead weren’t running – so long as he doesn’t try to draw me any district maps in the future.

8. CharlesJStevenson says:

Unless Bill Greene has moved to another section of Braselton recently, Jay is correct. A check of Voter Vault revealed that Greene lives in the 7th Congressional district; John Linder is his Representative.

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

Holly, I understand the desire for verification, but you’ll find that JayHanley is a human verification apparatus in and of himself. The man literally knows all, and is about the only person whom I’ve learned does not need to be fact-checked.

Just FYI 🙂

10. Holly says:

Jeff, I don’t know Jay personally, but I’ve noticed over the course of the past week that he’s been giving out good info.

11. bowersville says:

Well, this is simple. If Bill Greene lives in the 10th, let him say so. Until then, IMHO, he lives in the 7th.

12. JayHanley says:

Thanks for the compliment, Holly and thanks, CharlesJStevenson for the information. I was hoping someone would check VoterVault.

Nothing against Mr. Greene or the other candidates who do not live in the 10th, I just personally have a problem voting for someone who does not live in the district.

I have also heard that James Marlow lives in Fulton County. He was born in Lincolnton, so now he is running based out of Lincoln County. Can anyone confirm whether or not he lives in Fulton County?

13. bowersville says:

Jay, respectfully, I think the question is can Marlow, or anyone else, verify that he lives in the 10th.

14. bowersville says:

If someone could go by the Fulton County Tax Assessors office and check to see if Marlow has a homestead exemption, it would prove helpful.

I checked the Fulton website and it’s impossible without the street address.

Somebody needs to check Lincoln Co. also.