Tit for Tat

With both sides continuing to pee in every direction, will the Senate please kill HB 115, that would lower the requirements for people to be admitted as lawyers in the state. The law would clearly only benefit one or two people and is not a great idea.

HB 115 should die.

1. CobbGOPer says:

I agree, if anything we should be making it harder for people to be admitted as lawyers. For Christ’s sake, we’ve got too many already!

2. JRM2016 says:

I know no one cares, but this is really angering the entire GA Bar. And yes, many of us are Republicans. Every GA Law School is ABA sanctioned. This bill is designed to assist people who attended non ABA sanctioned law schools in other states. And while I find the ABA’s political posture grotesque, the process to become approved by the ABA does insure that certain basics are taught to attorneys, including legal ethics. If you want a less ethical, less professional bar, back HB 115.

3. GAWire says:

No, no, no … that’s just what we need – more underachieving UGA grads becoming attornies, so they can chase ambulances.

I mean, what else would they be doing?!?

4. bowersville says:

Actually HB 115 will benefit more than 1-2 people, it will benefit 3. Nifong needs a job with lower standards, plus the other 2.

5. The Comma Guy says:

HB 115 is aimed at helping one person: Republican legislative aide Sara Larios. The bill was first introduced in 2005 and did not pass. Larios can’t take the Georgia bar exam because she graduated from Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy, a correspondence-course law school that is based in Fresno, California and isn’t accredited by the ABA.

Right now, Georgia has reciprocity with several states but passing this law will probably take that away. In 2005, it was HB 150 and the House Committee took her testimony. That hearing transcript could be worth a read.

One other thing – when was the last time you heard Georgia needed more lawyers? What we do need is more doctors. However there’s no move to allow non-accredited medical school graduates become doctors in Georgia…

6. Tommy_a2b says:

I hate the ABA and most lawyers who went to ABA schools. Except of course my attorney who also thinks the ABA is stupid. Once Shep is officially an attorney I will still like him too. I support the bill just out of spite. LOL