Nappy Headed [N-word]

Oh the hyperbole.

A state lawmaker angrily lashed out at a legislative committee this morning after it rejected her request to hang a portrait of Coretta Scott King in the state Capitol, saying the committee’s action was comparable to calling King an N-word.

Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam (D-Riverdale) also asserted that the House Special Rules Committee’s action was worse than radio shock jock Don Imus calling the Rutgers University women’s basketball team “nappy-headed hos.”

“It is just like calling Mrs. King a nappy-headed (N-word),” Abdul-Salaam told reporters after the committee rejected House Resolution 376, killing it for this legislative session.

“There is already talk about boycotting in this country. We just need to really expand it to Georgia, if necessary,” she said. “It is absolutely time to realize that you cannot continue to conduct yourselves in such a manner and think that there will be no repercussions.”

How racist it is to not hang a picture of someone at the Capitol.

Pffft.

Technorati Tags: race baiting

1. Icarus says:

If she organizes a meeting to plan a boycott, do you think her excuse for skipping it will be that she’s sick, or stuck in traffic?

2. StevePerkins says:

Growing up in rural south Georgia, surrounded by poverty and a bleak absence of opportunity and hope that you can’t quite find even in the worst urban neighborhoods, I am far more sympathetic to African-American issues than the average poster on Peach Pundit seems to be. However, this kind of hyperbole sickens me, and is absolutely horrible for black people.

The only thing Rep. Abdul-Salaam gives a #$% about is being a demagogue who sucks power from blacks’ anger toward whites. She could care less about the actual well-being of blacks themselves. If she did, she wouldn’t leap to this kind of hyperbole and weaken the credibility of the civil rights movement for no practical reason whatsoever.

Recently, I read a high-ranking NAACP official having the nerve to call Cindy Sheehan “the Rosa Parks of this generation”. Meanwhile, Bruce Gordon was stepping down as head of the NAACP… because the board rejected his plans to leverage his successful business experience and actually DO SOMETHING with the organization, rather than sit bitching and spewing hyperbole all day.

The current generation of black leadership is miserably failing those who came before. By being so quick to whore-out Dr. King’s legacy to selfishly make a buck or score a political point, that legacy doesn’t carry the weight it should when it’s brought to bear on cops putting 50 rounds in an unarmed guy leaving his bachelor’s party. It’s just a miserable shame what the current state of leadership is today.

3. Lurker says:

I read this blog every day.

And I’ve never responded.

However, I feel a pressing need to correct some of your readers on some matters of fact.

I know Roberta Abdul-Salaam. I’ve known her for a long time. I daresay the folks who are taking pot shots at her for their own entertainment have never bothered to even meet her.

Roberta is an amazing woman in many ways. But primarily she spends almost all of her time volunteering – volunteering, mind you – to work with at-risk youth to try to decrease gang violence in Clayton County.

Those “black people” that Steve Perkins thinks Roberta is hurting? Yep, those would be the ones. The ones who see drive by shootings every day. Roberta is out there talking to those kids. Taking guns from them. Holding their parents when they die. Paying for funerals out of her own pocket.

Just thought I’d share.

4. Holly says:

Lurker,

I think that it’s as hard for a person to be wrong all of the time as it is for a person to be right all of the time.

It’s good to see those in public service giving back to their communities, especially with at-risk youth. I’m glad you shared this with us, because it helps us see a positive side to Rep. Abdul-Salaam.

Be that as it may, I still think it’s a bit ludicrous to equate not hanging Coretta Scott King’s photograph in the Capitol with calling her the n-word. While Rep. Abdul-Salaam is obviously displeased with the choice of the House Special Rules Committee’s decision, it’s a comparison that makes her sound, well. . . melodramatic, honestly.

I don’t think the House Special Rules Committee meant Mrs. King any disrespect in not considering Rep. Abdul-Salaam’s request. There has been no report of the committee members saying anything disrespectful about her. Yet the n-word is the lowest form of disrespect a person can show an African-American. In making the comparison, it’s hard for someone like me to take Rep. Abdul-Salaam’s comparison as meant to be anything other than a way to upset her constituents into believing the committee was, in fact, being derogatory in their decision.

5. Know Nothing says:

Well I think we should hang a picture of Saint Roberta Abdul-Salaam-al-Zakari at the Capitol

6. Doug Deal says:

Lurker,

Comments like hers degrade true instances of racism. When you spew rediculous accusations left and right, when a genuine issue comes forward, people roll their eyes and think it is more of the same.

Your comments asside, she is a race warloard, and a example of the worst kind of leader, who uses hatred and division to form a constituency. She has no business in government.

7. StevePerkins says:

Perhaps it is wrong of me to claim to know what goes on in the heart and soul of Roberta Abdul-Salaam, Lurker. For that much, I apologize.

However, I stand by the objective view that her antics on this issue are bad for black people. When you are quick to invoke the legacy of civil rights leaders with EXTREME hyperbole for each and every little fake controversy that you contrive up… it does obviously weaken the impact of that legacy when it is brought to bear on a more serious matter. Put in more plain terms… shame on Rep. Abdul-Salaam for crying wolf.

I don’t know of a politician in America who doesn’t spend his or her free time swinging a hammer with Habitat for Humanity, or visiting nursing homes. That does NOT mean that they turn around and pursue policies in their office that are good for low-income housing or elder care. Separate the things that politicians do as individuals from the choices they make in using the power of their office.

8. GAWire says:

>>”””I’ve never responded. Primarily because I work in politics and I think it’s unethical to to try to sway people’s opinions with my own.”””

Firstly, this is the biggest oxymoron statement I’ve ever heard. It’s borderline humorous.

Second, you might work in politics, but considering your crazy philosophy, I would debate whether or not you have actually succeeded in politics

Thirdly, I didn’t bother reading the rest of your post, b/c I couldn’t get past that comment, so I have no clue what your comment was, nor do I think it is important. That comment was the equivelent to a flashing neon light sign that says: “Do not listen to me b/c I don’t know what I’m saying”

9. GAWire says:

Okay, now I actually went back to read Lurker’s full comment. I stand by my previous statements on the matter. ‘Nuff said.

Oh and btw, I don’t need to know the heart of Roberta Hussein Obama Salaam Al Shikh Muhammad Kareem Abdul Jabar Abdul-Salaam to know she’s an idiot. Her comments in the committee meeting are all the evidence one needs.

10. Demonbeck says:

So does that mean that Roberta “Forever Your Girl”-Salaam thinks that Rosa Parks is a “Nappy-headed [N-word]” because she didn’t author any legislation attempting to put her picture in the Capitol?

If you use the same reasoning, you could come to this conclusion.

11. bowersville says:

It is an absolute shame that anyone, including Rep. Abdul-Salaam, would us the N-word and Mrs. King in the same sentence and in the same thought.

Despicable!

12. Bull Moose says:

It’s a shame that Mrs King isn’t honored for her role in the civil rights struggle. I think it’s just another example of House Republicans being out of touch with the people of Georgia.

As for Don Imus, I think that a lot of people are using this issue to fire up their own personal self interests as opposed to real outrage.

If their outrage were real, where were they when Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, and countless other made derogatory statements about black people? How is it okay for political leaders, who hold much more power than a radio show host, to get away with their comments?

What Don Imus said was wrong but it was also not meant serious.

If the thought police are going to penalize Don Imus, then everyone better start watching what they say because the cultural wars are upon us now more than ever.

13. bowersville says:

The thought police aren’t going to punish Imus, the free market is. Sponsors are running for the woods and taking their money with them.

As far as the cultural wars, the Democrats/liberals have always had a double standard. “Do as I say, not as I do.”

If any Republican had said what Rep. Abdul-Salaam said, the Atlanta news media would run them out on a rail, and rightfully so.

But, when a Democrat/liberal says it….well the proofs in the pudding.