Gamesmanship

The House will offer a live feed of the usually secret and smoke filled Budget Conference Committee. You can watch it here. If that link doesn’t work, go here and scroll to the bottom.

1. Icarus says:

Getting a message that the server is busy. I’m just going to guess that the two folks sitting there are discussing whether or not to free Bull Moose.

2. Demonbeck says:

And just for fun, here’s a clip of Erick, Mad Dog and Bull Moose down on River Street on St. Patty’s Day.

3. Demonbeck says:

I can’t believe a camera has run this long in the Atlanta and Vernon Jones hasn’t stepped in front of it yet.

4. Demonbeck says:

From glen to glen and down the mountainside.

The Senate has arrived and is waiting on the House to show up.

5. Icarus says:

The public gamesmanship and the unusual live feed of this meeting is making it unnecessarliy awkward. I need some popcorn.

6. Icarus says:

…and we’re back.

Now that the “mine’s bigger” contest is over, looks like we’re about to learn what deal has been cut.

7. adamsmith4883 says:

Two things you never want to see made: laws and sausages…

I have a feeling the agreeing is over for a while… I honestly don’t know how it was going earlier; I didn’t turn it on until about 6:10.

8. Icarus says:

The earlier meeting was total acrimony. This one started out somewhat cordial, but has digressed. (shocker)

9. Icarus says:

Walked out for a bit, missed that one.

And now we’re on break until 8:00.

My overall impression is that the house members are acting a little too aggressive (from a negotiating standpoint). It seems to me that they “need” a deal more than the Senate does.

10. Andre Walker says:

I’ve been sitting in the committee meeting for most of the time and it’s my observation that the Senate isn’t going to budge much from its budget that eliminates all the pork.

According to Rep. Ben Harbin, the House is not going to offer all of its projects, and according to Rep. Jerry Keen, he’s willing to stay there all night if the Senate is willing to negotiate in good faith.

Here’s what Rep. Keen said as well, “We just conceded $18 million. We’d like to see the Senate come back our way.”

Honestly, I don’t know if the Senate is willing to do that because Sen. Jack Hill has said, while holding up the Senate’s version of the budget, “We’ve got our budget right here.”

This has the makings of a very long night.

There were a couple of times where I thought that the House was going to walk out of the negotiations, but they stayed.

11. Icarus says:

O.K., they started earlier than they said, so I missed most of the 8:00 meeting. Looks like the house has agreed to less spending, on the condition that the extra money be returned to the taxpayers, possibly by moving forward with the tag tax cut. Is that about right?

12. adamsmith4883 says:

I think it is Senate version, plus increased funding for the Kia plant and public defenders office. Everything else would go to a tax rebate grant for property taxes.

13. Icarus says:

Adam,

If that’s true, it’s a pretty good win for the Senate, and a good face-saving move for the house. Kia would get funded in the 08 if it didn’t get it here, and no-one wants any more stories about Brian Nichols being denied his right to a speedy execution.

Most of all, it’s a step forward on eliminating the supplemental budget. Once cooler heads are prevailing, maybe the Speaker and the Lt Gov can get together on this ahead of time next year.

14. adamsmith4883 says:

Travis may be the worlds greatest reporter, (I wouldn’t know, I only read PeachPundit 🙂 ) but it is still rather humorous… especially when he was the only one in the frame… 😀

15. Andre Walker says:

Here’s my understanding of the House offer; the excess funds taken in by the state in FY07 would be returned to the people of Georgia through a one time homeowner relief grant.

Basically, whatever money is left over after the state funds PeachCare, emergency disaster relief, and the other projects listed in the Senate’s budget, (just over $140 million) would be returned to Georgia homeowners.

My opinion on this is that it is a good deal and that the Senate should take it.

It was said several times during the previous conference committee meetings that the money they’re arguing over is not the Governor’s money; it’s not the House’s money; and it’s not the Senate’s money. It’s the people’s money.

Giving the excess revenue back to the people, I think, is a good thing.

16. Icarus says:

I think the first step is to admit you have a problem, or the first stage is that you’re in denial. I get confused, as I’m usually intoxicated during my 12 step programs.

Either way, if you see tax receipts as the people’s money, you’re officially unwelcome in the Democrat party, so come on over and join us in straightening out these high spending Republicans.

17. Icarus says:

“And what, pray tell, is step 2? ”

And if your a South Park fan, the official answer is “Nobody knows.”

18. Icarus says:

Chris,

are you hoarding the cookies? Or did you use them as bribes for Erick so you can get fancy front page rights?

Note to Bull Moose, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees…

19. Icarus says:

I thought Erick was the Sweedish Chef. He can make his own damn cookies. That still doesn’t get me any.