Complaining about a freebie?

Perhaps I’d look at this differently if I had been stuck in the resulting traffic jam, but I’m just blown away at how angry some people seem to be about not getting into Six Flag for free yesterday. Give me a break!

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if a radio station offers free tickets to Six Flags there will be a huge crowd. Nevertheless some people seem to think the crime of the century was perpetrated on the citizens of Georgia. Check out some of the comments here. Here’s the AJC’s report from the scene of the crime.

Are we a bunch of spoiled brats in this city?

1. UGA Wins 2006 says:

Listening to the management of 6 Flags talk about how they will likely do this stunt again makes me think Cobb and Fulton Counties should send them the bill for the public safety workers forced to untangle that mess.

2. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

You are right about the people complaining about their missed freebie. The attitudes of entitlement are disgusting. However, Six Flags and Q100 should be tarred and feathered for the stupid stunt because of the traffic nightmare that ensued.

I guess I don’t think it should be anything criminal or law suit related (it was bad choices on the part of the freeloaders who caused the traffic), but I would hope people would be less likely to listen to Q100 or go to the park.

Of course this will never happen, as people would rather just complain about the “injustice” of it all without actually expending effort to do anything about it.

3. StevePerkins says:

I agree with Doug. Six Flags and the radio station definitely deserve a loss of reputation and business, but all the calls to “pass a law” or “ban them from doing this again” are knee-jerk and poorly thought through. I don’t see how you could pass a law (which would hold up in court) that narrowly affects Six Flags and Q100 without also harming other companies who run promotional events in good faith. Sheesh, nanny-staters… there doesn’t have to be a law for EVERYTHING…

4. Mad Dog says:

Laffing out loud at the idiots on this blog!

The ‘free’ ticket scam was designed to make money, not give away tickets.

The radio station gets free press because of the controversy. Much like the free coverage politics and politicians get for being controversial.

The Park gets advertised non-stop as being open during spring break. The wise or jaded parent knows better than to try the ‘free’ route, meekly surrenders to another day during spring break.

Steve, Doug, and UGA,

Haven’t you all been manipulated enough to understand the process yet?

5. Doug Deal says:

I avoid freebies because I know it drives out the Mad Dog’s of the world, and I prefer to enjoy life.

Frankly, the 80’s and early 90’s have given me more than enough music to get me through the rest of my life, so I do not see the need for more. I will stick to my iPod, instead of FM.

6. Nicki says:

The blame lies with the parents and whatnot. Particularly since Six Flags hasn’t done this before — how exactly were they to know that 85 million people would show up?

Hopefully if this occurs again it occurs with slightly more explicit directions for the idiots of the world and better coordination with public safety officials.

7. Icarus says:

I hear that to make up for this, Six Flags is planning a new promotion, but with a different radio station sponsor. They’re going to link up with WKRP and do a Turkey Drop at Lenox Mall…

8. Trackboy1 says:

A whole lot of people were very late to work because of this, including two police officers I know. Strictly from a business perspective, there was a major loss of productivity because of the traffic jam, and it was a brutal one. GDOT did not get the word out until way too late.

If Boston got $2 mil from the Cartoon Network because of that mess up there, maybe someone should be responsible for this diaster.

9. SheMarine says:

I totally agree w/ what everyone is saying about improper planning for this event. It definetly fell under the 6 P’s. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. But I have to say I was complete appalled while listening to V103 and the statement that was made about the whole 6 Flags disaster. The male dj decided to make a race issue out of this. He had hosted an event at 6 flags also and could only get in 103 people for free. He decided to say on the air it was because of the color of his skin. I am so furious about this. I am not so ignorant to actually think that racism doesn’t still exist, but I do know that it is ignorant crap like this that does keep it alive. Our children listen to this and learn from it. I for one will no longer be a V103 listener. I have now come to the conclusion that there is nothing that can’t be turned into a race issue. The future is not looking very bright for our children. God help them. (Will I shunned for saying that too?)

10. Holly says:

How in the world could people not expect an enormous crowd when Six Flags, one of the city’s top attractions, had free admission during Spring Break, when kids are out of school and therefore able to spend a day at a hugely popular theme park for free – something that was announced on the radio to a city with a metro area of over 3 million people? Wow. The management at Six Flags definitely fails the standard common sense test here.

As for parents being to blame, I’m a little confused about that comment. Would I let my kid (if I had one) get out of my car on an interstate and walk? Heck no! I see your point in that regard, but I see no reason to blame the parents for causing the traffic jam itself. Their kids wanted a way to Six Flags, which was offering free admission. Why not wake up early and take them?

Should the counties affected, such as Cobb and Fulton, bill Six Flags and the radio station for fixing the traffic jam? Hm. It depends. Do they charge the Braves for extra police to direct traffic after games? If the answer is yes to that, then I think it should be yes to the other – that Q100 and Six Flags are responsible for funding the extra law enforcement.

It is, after all, the responsibility of the planner to ensure that public safety is alerted and arranged, and that the planner gives an accurate head count so it’s known how many officers will be required.

The problem is two-fold here. Firstly, Six Flags nor the radio station seemed to bother to assess how many students planned to participate in the promotion ahead of time. Big mistake. Even something as simple as a poll on the station’s web site asking if listeners were planning to go to the park could’ve helped quite a bit.

Secondly, Six Flags alerted Cobb County, but they told them it wouldn’t be a big deal. They failed to contact them when it obviously was a big deal, given the lines to get into the part hours in advance. By the same token, they never spoke with any of the other metro counties, which was another big mistake.

I think the events planners at both Q100 and Six Flags should put together an events planning guide which requires a check list of everything that needs to happen before pulling off an event (and stick to the thing) in the future so these kinds of things don’t happen again, but then again, Monday Morning Quarterbacking is always easier than playing in the real game.

However, I don’t think there should be any lawsuits or new legislation or ordinances in response. Yes, people were inconvenienced and people are mad that they were inconvenienced, but that’s life. It was one day out of 365 this year, and if being stuck in traffic that one morning is the worst thing that happens to those commuters this year, then they’ve had a pretty good one, all things considered, haven’t they? I don’t know, I think people get their tailfeathers ruffled too easily these days and want compensation for their “loss” too quickly.

11. Demonbeck says:

I think people should boycott Six Flags on Memorial Day and Labor Day, so my family and I can have the park to ourselves.