Shhhh . . . . The Masters Are Back

Georgia law firms empty out this week and all the lawyers converge on Augusta.

Arnold Palmer stepped up to a first teebox that used to be the practice green Thursday and kicked off the Masters with a tee shot that looks nothing like what he used to hit when he ruled the course.

Palmer’s shot into the left rough, about 100 yards short of the bunker that’s in play for the big hitters, marked the ceremonial start to the year’s first major.

Added by Buzz: No need to leave work! You can view live video from Amen Corner starting at 10:30 am at www.masters.org Video from the Driving range is available now.

1. Demonbeck says:

This is the week where the entire world must pay homage to and publicly recognize that Georgia is truly the most beautiful place on Earth.

2. Rick Day says:

As George Carlin pointed out, “golf is a total waste of perfectly good real estate.” It is an elitist mainly white male sport. This is why it is so wildly popular in Georgia.

Think NASCAR, with Mercedes instead of CamperLands.

Raze the courses and turn them into low income housing, I say!

(snort) ‘attorneys..’

And no, it is not envy. Yes, I too live in the land of the Top 1% income. Yes, I’ve played golf.

NO, I will NOT caddy for your attorney.

3. GAWire says:

Oh, and I’m sure Tiger might take issue with your comment, too. I mean, he does make up a large percentage of the black and Asian population on the Tour.

4. Brian from Ellijay says:

GOLF- Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden.

I have heard that is what it originally stood for, not sure and to lazy to verify. Have at it. BTW, Golf is a great sport, very relaxing as long as no team is behind mine 😉

5. Icarus says:

I believe there is only one true rule for golf:

Start with 12 balls, and 12 beers. If you run out of either, it’s time to head to the clubhouse.

6. drjay says:

well, aside from being so cold on saturday that we could not stay all day, my favorite week of the year was still excellent. although i wonder if the new chairman made a few more tickets available this year b/c it seemed a tad more crowded than usual, and a few things i had never seen before like people moving other peoples chairs happened a time or two. and btw the millions that club raises for charity around the augusta area more than makes up for the acrerage not being chocked full of housing projects–good grief.

7. drjay says:

and during ww2 the course was closed and used as part of the war effort raising livestock, and it has a very storied tradition w/ its miltitary neighbor in augusta, ft. gordon.