Todd Tibbetts, a Peach Pundit reader and small businessman in Gwinnett County has an op-ed it today’s Gwinnett Daily Post about solving the traffic problems in Metro Atlanta.
Instead of following the 80/20 rule, our state legislature should reverse the funding formula and spend 80 percent where roads are needed and then split the remaining 20 percent among the Congressional districts. By phasing this plan in, the state can close the gap over the next 10 years and bring traffic relief to the areas where it is desperately needed.
Next, the state needs to consolidate our transportation bureaucracies under one tent and give control to the governor, thus putting the accountability on the governor. Consolidating Georgia Department of Transportation, Georgia Regional Transportation Authority, the Atlanta Regional Commission, the State Road and Toll Authority and others under one organization would give us the ability to develop a long- term vision, plan and road map to mitigate traffic congestion.
The 80/20 rule he is talking about is the one where 80% of transportation dollars in Georgia are divided equally among the congressional districts and 20% goes to special projects.
I don’t necessarily agree with going in Todd’s direction of 20/80, but I could go for a 60/40 or maybe even a 50/50. We should not forget that there are metropolitan areas outside of Atlanta with growing traffic problems too.