Vote on the budget

Rep. Steve Davis wants opinions on the budget issue:

The amended Fiscal Year 07 budget spends a state surplus of $700 million dollars. Items such as new patrol cars for the State Patrol’s aging fleet; $11 million in relief for parts of Georgia hit by recent tornadoes; construction money for the Chattahoochee Nature Center, the National Infantry Museum Project and the Warner Robins Air Force Base Museum; the Governor’s “Go Fish” and land conservation projects; and relief to the troubled PeachCare health insurance program for poor children and for public defenders is contained in the appropriations bill.

[UPDATE] The poll isn’t working here for some reason, but it’s available on Steve’s blog.

1. LiveFreeOrDie says:

How about, “Fund only urgent matters, y’all shouldn’t have taxed the citizens so much in the first place.”

2. ugadog says:

As a democrat, it makes me realize that Cagle is a genius and will probably beat whoever we put up after he gets done beating the shit out of Glenn. That’s what I think. Glenn is getting his ass whooped and doesn’t even realize it.

3. IndyInjun says:

The poll site tells me that I have not made a selection when I select the “pay down the debt’ choice, which is the one I would make.

When are the arrogant GOP partisan hacks gonna get the message that we conservatives MEAN IT when we insist upon fiscal responsibility?

It is why we abandoned their party and won’t be back until they get back to conservative PRINCIPLES!!!!!!!!!

4. Rpolitic says:

The scary thing is that the “conservative” leadership in the house can’t sort out what is truly important and what is pork to pay back friends in the district.

They should be glad that the stuck pig award has been retired.

5. foray says:

I don’t know what debt Casey is talking about- we are required by law to pass a balanced budget every year.

6. Joy says:

I’m voting for returning the surplus… but when I click the option and then [vote] am told I have to choose an answer.

Firefox bug, or sinister plot?

7. Trackboy1 says:

Am all for paying down debt and returning some back to taxpayers. But when it comes to the GA State Patrol, our state troopers are tragically underfunded. If we had a media outlet in the state that actually did thorough, non-partisan
    investigative journalism, it’d be a huge story. If you know any GA troopers, they’ll tell ‘ya stories off the record that would infuriate the most conservative conseravtive or liberal liberal.

These guys work their tails off and put their butts on the line every time they pull a vehicle over. They deserve to have vehicles, equipment, facilities, and yes, salaries, on par with what they do for GA residents. And it goes back to Zell and Roy, not just Sonny, and they deserve much blame, but you’re the boss now Sonny, and you’re hanging these guys out to dry…

8. John Douglas says:

Trackboy1 is exactly right about the State Patrol. North Carolina with almost the exact same population as GA and almost the same land area has nearly 2000 state troopers vs our 900 or so.

On the budget as a whole, I would remind you that only one member of the House voted NO….Steve Davis.

9. TM2000 says:

We need more state patrol officers, unfortunately the fuel tax is not allowed to fund this program.
    I am also strongly in favor of his lands program. That is one of his top priorities. I think most of the people in this blog enjoy parks considering most Americans do.

10. Icarus says:

Sen Douglas,

Spent much time driving in NC? Those guys will ticket you for driving 60 in a 55. (I know, I’ve had three tickets there for less than 10 MPH over posted limits).

So while they may not be the model we want to strive to be, I also realize that we’ve been under funding our State Patrol for quite some time.

I think you would agree with the LT Gov, as well, that the way to handle this is through the normal budget process, not from a (unnecessary) supplemental budget.

11. Holly says:

Icarus,

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t always adhere to the speed limits. However, if you’re going 60 in a 55 zone, that is still technically speeding, even if it wasn’t grossly over the limit. I don’t see where that argument helps the case of why we don’t want to look to NC as a model. Wouldn’t it seem if they were able to stop people going merely five over the limit that they must have had the speeding issue in their state under control?

12. Icarus says:

Yes Holly,

Technically I was speeding. And technically, I paid the tickets. (One was for an amazing 9 MPH over, as well).

NC also apparently has a law that if your ticket is for 15+ over the limit, you have to appear in court with an attorney. Seems like a full employement plan for the legal class, but I digress.

Yes, NC does have speeding somewhat under control. And you can probably observe that here when you get behind someone with NC license plates going 57 in the left lane on I-285.

Fund our State Patrol, pay the officers well, and give them modern, reliable equipment.

In the same act, let’s set the speed limits close to reality.

13. Holly says:

Icarus,

Now I’m just playing devil’s advocate, but maybe it’s not the speed limits in need of change. Perhaps you, I, and the rest of Georgia are just in too big of a hurry. 😉

I agree that the state patrol needs new cars. I think that some of the police interceptors are in terrible shape, but I believe that it should go in the the full budget, not the supplemental budget. While it is a necessary expenditure, I’m not sure it’s the kind of crisis that the supplemental budget should be used for. I do, however, think unexpected issues, like the destruction caused by the recent tornadoes, are what the supplemental budget is intended to address, so that should be left in.

14. Icarus says:

Holly,

You can’t be the devil’s advocate on Palm Sunday. That ain’t right.

I agree 100% about how and where the money should be spent. Normal and customary spending, such as that needed to staff and maintain a proper and respectable State Patrol, should be in the full budget. While I advocate eliminating the supplemental budget, it should only be emergency spending while we still have it.

15. tribalecho says:

“infuriate the most conservative conseravtive or liberal liberal.”

Trackster, you nailed it on the head about how it feels to see folks on a local level talk about government that effects their everyday lives. This is an aspect of blogs that’s just starting to hit me. The other thing that’s just starting to hit me is that Cagle isn’t just a nutter right-ist. Damn.