I love Atlanta.

Despite the best efforts of the AJC to turn me against the City of Atlanta, let me say in front of God and Decaturguy: “I love Atlanta.”

The Final Four (which I think surpasses the Super Bowl as the greatest sporting event this side of a test match between India and Pakistan) is in Atlanta this weekend. Can it get any better?

Oh, I almost forgot, Georgia Tech’s Mario West won the Slam Dunk competition last night with this dunk:

1. Gag Halfrunt says:

Atlanta is a great place, but no thanks to Gov. Perdue. Take the Final Four, for example. How quickly we have forgotten that the NCAA’s Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee planned to move the 2007 Final Four someplace else if Georgia did not remove Confederate battle emblems from the flag. Perdue’s unfulfilled promise to allow the people to choose the flag would have sent the games to another city. The NCAA banned South Carolina and Mississippi from hosting postseason sports championships over the flag issue.

2. Demonbeck says:

Gag,

King Roy and his minions didn’t remove the confederate emblem from Georgia’s flag.

They just made it smaller.

3. Icarus says:

I once had a car broken in to while I was attending a concert in Atlanta.

“Is it OK for me to hate if Ive been a victim”?

4. Gag Halfrunt says:

The NCAA had no problem with the Barnes flag. They became concerned when Perdue said that there would be a referendum on the flags, a promise he could not pull off. The fact that the Final Four stayed in Atlanta is a tribute to the leadership of Roy Barnes and the ineptitude of Sonny Perdue.

5. drjay says:

“The NCAA had no problem with the Barnes flag. ”

then they are hipocrates…its sfae to say sonny did exactly what he intended vis a vis the flag and it turned out just fine.

6. atlantaman says:

“Perdue’s unfulfilled promise to allow the people to choose the flag would have sent the games to another city.”

Halfrunt-

Your post is very confusing. You obviously seem to be anti-Perdue, but you are giving Sonny Perdue credit for getting the conferderate emblem off the flag so the NCAA stayed in Georgia.

You’re also assuming that if the Georgia voters had been allowed to vote for a flag that contained a larger version of the confederate emblem (not the smaller Barnes version) that the flag would have won.

As best I can tell you want to criticize Perdue for a hypothetical that never occured – if Perdue had allowed a vote on the confederate flag, then if that flag would have won in the vote, then the NCAA tournament would not be in Atlanta today..

7. saltynuts says:

Buzz-

If you love the City of Atlanta so much, why do you live in the Peoples’ Republic of Suburbia?