Eric Underwood Announcing

From his press release:

Erik M. Underwood, former candidate for the Georgia House of Representatives (District 55), is announcing his intent to run for the 10th District Congressional Seat recently vacated by the passing of Congressman Charlie Norwood, Friday, March 30, 2007 10:00 a.m. at Shanhill Sweets located at 2124 Central Avenue.

Someone will need to explain to me how a loser in a State House race will become a winner in a Congressional race.

He says “his vision for the District” includes “an exit strategy for Iraq.” Hopefully a more cogent one than the Democrats are currently offering in Washington.

1. Bill Simon says:

Ummm…Erick?

As much as I may be in favor of Jim Whitehead for the slot, your statement of “Someone will need to explain to me how a loser in a State House race will become a winner in a Congressional race” sounds like…well, quite frankly, it sounds like Bull Moose’s (il)logic.

At some point, people running for office DO win, even though they may have previously lost.

Did John Barrow or Jim Marshall run for a state legislative position, and lose, prior to their being elected to Congress?

Or, did they just run straight for Congress and win?

2. Holly says:

Okay, I think the current House District 55 is in Fulton County, isn’t it? So, does he live in Fulton County or did he run for state House before the maps were redone? Where is he from?

3. Holly says:

Thanks for the link, Dr. Jay.

Helen, his campaign manager, is a great lady – very smart and outgoing. She ran as an independent quite simply because it’s a heavily African-American district, and she had a better chance as an independent than as a Republican.

This guy looks so familiar, but I can’t place him yet.

4. DAMY46 says:

drjay,

I don’t believe you have to live in the 10th CD to run there…

Don’t quote me now.

But, I thought I heard that somewhere.

I could be wrong…….

Donald

5. Holly says:

No, it’s true, Donald. You don’t have to live in a Congressional district to run in the race. Apparently there are already two candidates in the race from Conyers, as mentioned in the comments here. However, it’s hard to run and win if you don’t live in the district you’re wanting to represent because the candidate would be an “outsider”.

6. drjay says:

i am aware of the rules governing residency and congressional seats–i asked b/c his campaign manager is a reletively well known augustan and his campaign hq is apparently in augusta–it was simply a question. most of augusta is actually in the 12th these days anyway as i recall

7. drjay says:

in fact this story grabs my attn. more for helen blocker adams involvement w/ it than anything about underwood really…

8. Erick says:

Bill,

Jim Marshall never ran for a state legislative seat. He ran against Saxby in 2000 and lost and ran again two years later and won.

Eric Underwood makes a big point in his press release that he was a former candidate for House District 55. It’s a big point because it’s at the top of his press release.

I’ve searched the Secretary of State’s records all the way back to 1996, and I can’t find an Underwood running in District 55 in either a primary or general election.

So either he ran a long time ago, or he was a “candidate,” that didn’t actually make it to the election. I don’t know. But it seems if you are going to make it as big a deal as putting it in the very first paragraph of your press release as your big accomplishment in life, you probably should have an answer for the question — if you can’t win in the little leagues, how are you going to win in the big league.

9. drjay says:

he was a qualified write in candidate i belieive–i think i found that by googling him–i will see if i can find the link…

10. Holly says:

I asked a friend of mine who worked in Voinovich’s office if she knew him. She doesn’t, but she did say his name was familiar.

11. drjay says:

i just realized how very snooty your 6:14 am post comes across, if you read the way i think it was intended, damy–you need to be a tad less confrontational in your posts