Douglas smacks down the NRA

State Senator John Douglas has stood up to the NRA on SB 43:

The National Rifle Association has apparently lost state Sen. John Douglas (R-Social Circle) in its effort to drum up support for S.B. 43, the bill to permit employees to keep guns in cars parked on corporate parking lots.

Over the weekend, the NRA sent out a crush of e-mails to members, accusing many big corporations — United Parcel Service, Wal-Mart and AFLAC among them — of curtailing Second Amendment rights.

Douglas is important as a bellwether. He’s one of the most conservative Republicans in the Senate, and usually supports NRA-backed legislation. Check out this bottom-to-top exchange of e-mails between the senator and a voter in south Georgia, distributed today by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce.

In the finale, Douglas accuses the NRA of “acting like a hysterical teenaged girl.” We’ve removed the e-mail and street address of the voter.

You can view the e-mail exchange over at the Political Insider.

1. Bull Moose says:

SB 43 is the worse piece of legislation ever written and is not needed in Georgia.

It’s something that these State Senators are cowering to the NRA special interest groups.

I’m for the 2nd Amendment, but this piece of legislation defies common sense.

2. Decaturguy says:

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with this bill. The government is not telling employers that they cannot allow employees to carry guns on their property.

3. hankreardan says:

I am not always a supporter of Douglas but he has this one dead on. All rights start with property rights. If you do not have property rights you do not need a gun because you have nothing to protect.I own my own business and I allow people to keep guns in thier cars , but that should be my choice of what is brought on my property.

4. Bull Moose says:

Yes Decaturguy, this legislation, this SB 43, would prohibit employers from telling employees they cannot carry guns on their property.

It’s a raw deal for Georgia this SB 43. It must be defeated.

5. Bull Moose says:

Tommy I sure hope you’re right.

What happens to these Senators who we now know were just carrying the water for the NRA?

What happened to carrying the water for the interests of their districts?

6. Nimrod says:

Good job Sen. Douglas!

From one of your constituents who also opposes this ridiculous unconstitutional infringement on private property rights.

7. RuralDem says:

After reviewing the legislation I am glad that Senator Douglas is voting against this legislation. I am a NRA member and I think this legislation is bad policy.

While it is good that the Senator is voting against it, I worry about his reasoning.

“They are falling on their swords over this bill and so am I. There is no way I would vote yes with the way they are conducting themselves.

I am sorry we have come to this point and I look forward to supporting logical, rational gun legislation in the future, but not SB 43. I appreciate your efforts, but the NRA is making their supporters look foolish on this one.”

Apparently, from this email exchange, the Senator votes simply on how lobbyists conduct themselves and not on the basis of the policy itself.

8. Chris says:

Doug:
    “If you do not have property rights you do not need a gun because you have nothing to protect.”

Other than your life.

9. patriot says:

Constitutional rights should not conflict. I believe that my personal rights have to mesh with those of another. A wise man once said…”Your right to swing your fist around – ends at the tip of my nose!”