In Case You’ve Forgotten

Tuesday is Cross Over Day at the legislature. The NRA is rounding up people to call the Senate over the gun bill. There are lots and lots of bills to get through that day and several legislators this morning at the Bibb GOP Convention suggested it may be a 24 hour day.

1. dogface says:

Erick, the NRA is plain wrong on SB 43. It is a made-up crisis designed to fuel their fundraising and show Senators how strong they are and how much they can jerk them around.

Second Amendment activists are genuinely split on the issue. Many believe that the NRA is attacking the very private property rights on which gun ownership is predicated.

Found this of interest from a number of Georgia Sports Shooting Association (GSSA) and NRA members comments at highroad.org, a pro-gun web site

“I believe this sums it up nicely, gents. If you start regulating what people can and cannot do on his own private property, you’re playing quite the dangerous game with definitions, the law, and what remains of your Constitutional Rights. Tread lightly.”

“Gun owners, above all people, should cherish and fight for individual rights. Especially the rights of people to do what they want with their own property. Regardless if it is open to the public or not, it is still their property and they should be allowed to make the rules. It is a scary and terrible thing when gun owners begin to love their guns more than freedom.”

“Saying “We need a law!” is like inviting a vampire into your home. You always get more than you bargain for. Asking the government to force your will on someone else is a double-edged sword – someone else can ask the government to force their will on you. Property held by corporations is ultimately owned by individuals too. If you have a problem with their policies either don’t do business with them or buy some stock and vote to change the policy.”

“Man, I am so torn over this one. On one hand you have the right to self defense. On the other you have the right to dictate behavior on your private property.”

“On my property, a man won’t carry if I don’t wish him to. On the other hand, he doesn’t have to come onto my property. Just the way it is.”

“As abhorant as I find the idea, a man can tell people what they can and can’t do on his property, IMO, up to and including carrying or not carrying a weapon.”

“Gotta agree. It seems to me that a person’s right to self-defense/right to bear arms doesn’t trump a person’s private property rights; It also seems to me that a person’s rights as a private property owner don’t trump a person’s right to bear arms.”

“If you are a business owner, you are a property owner. If your employer does not want you leaving weapons in your automobile that is parked on his property then either don’t do it, or find another job. Your right to carry does NOT trump another’s property rights. Period. Do you expect the law — any law — to allow you to carry your weapon into your anti-gun neighbor’s house when she invites you over? Is it not her right to reject your presence once she finds out you are carrying? Everything begins with property rights, and although many legislators and judicial figures do not respect that, by principle we must adhere to it. Whether that property is your backyard, your kitchen, or your body, it trumps over everything else.”

The “law’ you crave is premised on every leftist concept about curtailing private property rights since the New Deal … My property, my terms — you don’t like it, don’t come to my house, my business, my apartment building, whatever.

It is a big world.”

2. Erick says:

Dog, I didn’t say I supported the bill. In fact, I think it’s a dumb bill.

For the GOP to care so much about employer/employee rights, it seems dumb to be forcing employers to do something they don’t want to do on their own property.

3. Bull Moose says:

If Senate Bill 43 , the “TAKE YOUR GUN TO WORK BILL” passes:

1. The government would be telling private property owners that they can not prohibit anyone from bringing a gun onto their property.

2. The government would make the property owner responsible for any crime committed with that gun if they “knew or should have known” that the crime was going to occur.

3. This is a NO-WIN SITUATION for the property owner.

Plain and simple, this is STUPID policy at its best.

The NRA is using a made up crisis and bully tactics to get its way.

The question is will legislators stand up for common sense or will they give in to the bully tactics of the NRA?

I’m all for guns and am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment, but this is just plain idiotic.

4. Bull Moose says:

A better use of our legislators time would be to go through and clean up the code and laws on the books and bring them up to date. Eliminate those that “don’t work”.

After years of Democratic control there are some laws, code, and regulations that are purely special interest inserts that need repealing.

But I guess some of them are too busy making sure that we can all take our guns to work and improving boat ramps throughout the state to tackle that issue.

5. dogface says:

Judging by the NRA “urgent alert” I received today, the NRA is bullying and intimidating Senators and businesses, calling out CSX, GTMA, UPS, AFLAC, the Georgia Chamber, the Georgia Retail Association and its members, the Georgia Realtors Association, eMAX Realty, Century 21, Mohawk Industries and Shaw Industries as arrogant and anti-Second Amendment.

I’m not sure the NRA’s hysterial rhetoric matches with reality, and I’m not sure their scortched-earth, take-no-prisoners and bullying and intimidating Senators won’t backfire.

My land, my rules.

6. Bull Moose says:

Amen dogface!

Has anyone thought about the trickle down affect? Most schools have a policy of no guns on campus. If a person has a gun in their car and comes onto a school campus, who takes responsibility and is held liable if someone breaks in and steals the gun and commits a crime?

This is just abuse by a special interest group.

7. RuralDem says:

Am I the only NRA member on here who gets two, sometimes three letters in the mail each week about a new cause, or about renewing my membership. I joined last year and within a month I was getting a letter every week about renewing. I just renewed a month ago for another year and I am already receiving mailers about renewing!

They’re always asking for money to fight for a cause, and I understand that but I think they’d save a nice bit of change if they’d tone down the mailers to maybe once or twice a month.

8. Bull Moose says:

RuralDem, as a member of the NRA , what do you think of this “Bring your gun to work bill”? Do you support it? Do you think it’s a good idea?

I’m not an NRA member but am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment. But I know what you mean about renewals in the mail. I get renewal notices on my subscription of Fortune every month. At this point, I think I’m renewed till 2010 and they still tell me, renew now to ensure uninterrupted service!

9. RuralDem says:

Bull Moose,

To be honest I am undecided. I can honestly see both sides, however, I think the property owner/business owner should have the say in whether or not the employee can bring a loaded weapon onto company property.

I do see the last bit of the legislation where it states that no employer shall held liable, but I still have concerns

I am a strong supporter of the second amendment, however, there is a line and I think this legislation passes that line.

10. Bull Moose says:

the caveat is that it says the employer shall not be held liable if they “should have known” that a crime may be committed… You could drive a Mack truck through “should have known”

I just don’t know why it’s an issue…

11. RuralDem says:

Just sitting here, I can think of a few areas in my small county where an employee carrying a loaded gun in their car could cause an issue.

In most rural areas you don’t see too many of these:

(1) To an employer providing applicable employees with a secure parking area which restricts general public access through the use of a gate, security station, or other similar means which limit public access into the parking area;

Unless it’s something like the DOT or maybe a law enforcement area which is covered in separate parts of the legislation.

12. RuralDem says:

Goober,

I do not know too many people that carry a gun for protection would keep a gun in their trunk.

I guess they’ll just ask the robber to hold on a minute while they go around the car to the trunk and get the gun?

13. Bull Moose says:

This is a huge intrusion on private property rights, not to mention a piece of legislation that defies common sense.

Funny, no one has come on here and defended the bill or articulated why it should be law.

I mean, I understand “Take your daughters to work day” and Take your sons to work day”, but what the hell is “Take your gun to work” supposed to accomplish?