Gwinnett GOP Convention

Senator David Shafer attended the Gwinnett GOP convention and gives this recap:

I spent most of today in the cafeteria of Peachtree Ridge High School in Duluth as a delegate to the Gwinnett County Republican Convention. Representative Tom Rice did a great job as convention chairman, and we elected a fine team of officers to lead us for the next two years. Greg Howard will remain at the helm as county chairman, and he will be assisted by Brian Doty, new first vice chairman.

Two very good friends, Don Butler and Chris Farris, were elected to the county executive committee as at-large members.

But the most interesting news came from the Presidential straw poll, which had been tacked on to the end of the officer ballot, almost as an afterthought. The delegates were given a choice of a dozen or so candidates. None of the Presidential campaigns were represented at the convention.

The national frontrunner, Rudy Giuliani, placed third, right behind Georgia’s own Newt Gingrich, who finished second. But the winner was former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee, who received more votes than all the other candidates combined.

Congrats to Chris Farris.

1. Icarus says:

If I’m reading the post right, Thompson got an outright majority, not just a plurality. That says a lot about the state of this race, and the grass roots support of the “announced” candidates. Erick, these results are probably worthy of a RedState post.

Bull, I’ve read the theories that Thompson is just a stalking horse to get McCain conservative votes. I think it’s the opposite. McCain is looking tired and cranky already, and I think in his heart he knows he won’t be able to pull off the nomination. He won’t be able to get cross over dems this time, and indys will be split between dem and repub primaries.

What happens if he decides it’s just not worth it, and he gives his organization and operatives to Thompson?

2. joshdondich says:

Congradulations Chris Farris on becoming Gwinnett GOP representative at large. As for Bull Moose. I would say Fred Thompson would be better at endorsing Rudy Guilliani or Tom Tancredo. Tancredo is a offical candidate as of Friday.

3. Icarus says:

…And I’m back. No place to add on a comment to that link. so far as I can tell.

My impression, as someone from GA but not Gwinnett county, is that this is pretty significant. Gwinnett supplied both GWB and Sonny just over 8% of their total vote in GA in 2004 and 2006, respectively. Gwinnett had the second highest number of Republican votes in both elections statewide, behind Cobb.

If this straw poll wasn’t organized by any campagin (and Thompson doesn’t even have a campaign), shows that there’s a lot of party faithful and grass roots activists that have decided that Thompson or at worst “none of the above” is the best shot we have at 2008.

I’ve been trying to get myself to be willing to accept Rudy. I look at this poll as a glimmer of hope.

4. Bull Moose says:

Thompson and McCain are friends. I still think that Thompson is building conservative support for McCain. But appreciate your question of the vice versa… If you’re asking me what I personally would do? Yes, I would then support Fred Thompson.

Giuliani, Romney, and Gingrich all may be leaders in some form or fashion, both Giuliani and Gingrich have serious character issues. I mean, who divorces their wife on TV? And Romney’s flip flops make John Kerry look consistent.

Sorry, I’m not abandoning all of my beliefs and convictions just for politics.

5. Bull Moose says:

By the way, Buzz, I have a concern about our Chairman and First Vice Chairman both being from Metro Atlanta and honestly, I’m not the only person.

6. Icarus says:

Bull,

Wouldn’t expect you to abandon any of your beliefs or convictions just for politics, much less all of them.

My problems with Rudy and Newt aren’t even thier character issues (though they are many). I have many friends that have worked for Newt, from his days running (unsuccessfully) against Jack Flynt, to his days as Speaker. They generally have the same criticism, “Newt has never had an unspoken thought.”

Rudy, on the other hand, makes me nervous. He was responsible for vetting Bernard Kerik. He, as I understand it, personally vouched for him. Bernard had issues. More than just wives and girlfriends. Does Rudy have more than the mess we know about?

Fred Thompson isn’t a clean slate. He didn’t get traction in 2000 because of his legendary bachelor status. He doesn’t deny that. But he can articulate, in plain english, why conservative values matter to mainstream America. That’s why I’m hopeful about him.

I’m not looking for a saint, just someone that can win without selling us out.

7. Erick says:

Bull, I can assure you that Thompson is not out getting votes for McCain and has not extended his endorsement to McCain this time.

Interestingly, neither has Mark Sandford.

8. Bull Moose says:

Good points Icarus.

Kerik is actually about to be indicted. Giuliani basically sold his name after being Mayor to make money. Lobbying shop, law firm, investment firm, etc… One of his firm’s clients was Hugo Chavez’s oil company.

I almost went to work for Thompson in DC. Knew his Chief of Staff well. Thompson would be acceptable to me.

However, I’m supporting John McCain and feel that he will make one hell of a President. Plus, McCain can win against the Democrats, whomever they nominate, in November 2008.

9. Bull Moose says:

Erick I said that was one of the theories floating out there…

PLEASE put me back on the front page

10. Icarus says:

Bull,

I do respect your opinion, and your dedication.

However, McCain can’t beat the democrats if he can’t get the nomination.

11. Chris says:

Bull,

Based on the sentiments I saw in Gwinnett today, you are probably one of three people in Georgia supporting McCain.

12. Bull Moose says:

Icarus, I think that Republicans may “wish” themselves into losing. Bush blew it essentially as President and now there is a lot of hand wringing. I’m one of them, but I was for McCain in 2000.

By the way, where is Maurice?

13. Jeff Emanuel says:

Icarus, you’re right, I put it in RedHot. Your thoughts here, though, would work well in a user diary there. Feel free to write one up; you’ve already got most of one just in your comments on this thread 🙂

14. Bull Moose says:

For the record, McCain and Giuliani are neck and neck in Iowa and McCain is 4 points ahead in New Hampshire.

Chris, I’d be interested in talking to you offline of here. I think you know how to email me right? I’m on the Liberty Caucus Committee.

15. bowersville says:

And McCain has predicted he hasn’t gotten the money for the 1/4 ending March, 07.

What does that mean?

16. StevePerkins says:

The GOP faithful are so starved for a palatable candidate that they are REALLY getting grassroots excitement going for… Fred Thompson?

The one-term Senator, Fred Thompson?

Bruce Willis’ reluctant ally in “Die Hard 2”, Fred Thompson?

Never really did anything memorable except gripe about Bill Clinton getting a BJ, Fred Thompson?

Direct to video with Lou Gossett, Jr. in “Iron Eagle III”, Fred Thompson?

Man oh man, if you had told me five years ago that I would see a female President in my lifetime I probably would have laughed… but I don’t think that anything can derail the Hillary Express at this point. The Republicans just haven’t been off in the wilderness long enough to pull things together yet.

Then again, the most active commenters on Peach Pundit (i.e. Gwinnett County Republicans) are the same folks who like to float Sonny’s name for VP candidate from time to time. I think the moral is that this site is great for local politics, but completely useless for matters of a national level.

17. Jeff Emanuel says:

Steve, your Liberal bias has led you to omit the Hunt for Red October and Days of Thunder from that list. 😉

Though perhaps the latter shouldn’t ever be mentioned again…

18. drjay says:

does this guy not realize thompson has been both a navy admiral and army general, head of the cia, and fbi agent a DA, and WH chief of staff in addition to almost 2 terms as a real senator

19. Bill Simon says:

And, don’t forget Fred’s role in that Kevin Costner movie where Costner played the role of the Navy dude with Sean Young as his dead girlfriend?

20. whitemalevoters says:

Rugby,

It’s nice to be missed. We have been busy lobbying our representatives and senators to introduce more pro-white male voter legislation. So far, it seems be be working.