I’ll Get The Matches. You Get The Cross.

Dana Blankenhorn has a different take on this year’s General Assembly.

y getting blacks mad, Republicans firm-up their support among whites, and there are a lot more whites than blacks in Georgia. This is how politics is done in Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina, where the “Black Belt” is used to strap whites down to conservative Republicanism. So long as middle-class Georgia whites let themselves be played like crackers, the business wing of the Republican Party will treat them that way.

From the budget to Peach Care to SPLOST opposition, apparently it is all about race. I grew up outside this country so I guess I’m just not Southern (something my wife assures me is true) and white enough to see it. Thank God we have Dana Blankenhorn to make sure I do now.

You know, it is somewhat funny. If you begin and end your day with the theory that Republicans hate black people, you really can string all these things together. Its like at the federal level. When you begin and end your day thinking the Democrats really hate the troops and want them defeated, you can string all their proposals together too and have them make sense in a way they were never intended.

1. Decaturguy says:

I tend to agree with you Erick. Not all Republicans hate blacks (white Georgia Democrats do not have a great legacy when it comes to race relations, by the way) and not all Democrats hate the troops (there is an argument to be made that by sending the troops home in the current state of affairs, you are doing them a favor).

2. Demonbeck says:

Let me just give full disclosure … I am white.

However, this is an issue that really disturbs me. To think that this kind of race baiting still has legs is a sad state of affairs on where we stand today. In a society where more people will know who Stephanie Edwards is (Savannah girl booted from Idol last night) than George Washington Carver, this kind of rhetoric spreads like wildfire. Ms. Blankenhorn and other leaders in the African American community continue to suppress their own people for the sake of keeping their position in the mansion.

The reason that the African American community has had a more difficult time (than other ethnic groups), as a whole, of rising up from poverty is because Uncle Toms like this turn their backs in their people – keeping them reliant upon the big government plantation rather than becoming self-reliant – in order to keep their status in the house. This becomes more self evident when one looks at how the Democratic party takes the African American vote for granted.

I, for one, long for the day that African American leaders like Bill Cosby and Herman Cain are lauded for their views on personal responsibility by other African-American leaders rather than being vilified. Until at least half of this double whammy of oppression (AA leaders and racism) is lifted that you will see any changes.

3. buzzbrockway says:

I disagree with the notion that all the GOP needs to do is increase it’s support among white in order to keep winning. Eventually you get all the white support you can and I think the GOP may have reached that point already.

The African-American vote is rather large in Georgia, IIRC about 25% of all votes cast. The GOP cannot simply ignore that large a group and expect to be the long term majority Party in this State.

I think Dana is off the deep end when he claims opposing a SPLOST or proposing changes to the Peach Care threshold are racially motivated. They are not.

I do think it’s true in the South all political matters are tinged with race. More troubling is the possibility of Georgia’s Democrats becoming the “Black” Party and the GOP the “white.” If you think race relations are bad now….

4. jonf says:

All of your grand eloquence is lost when you assert that a white male (dana blankenhorn) is really a female african american.

It’s called google Demonbeck. Perhaps you have heard of it.

5. Mad Dog says:

jonf,

Good one. Nice use of google as well.

I just want to say that not all Republicans are as stupid as Bush, Rice, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Libby, Rove, Wolfowitz, Cambone, Feith, Joseph, and the other chickenHawks.

Some of them can google. That gives us all hope that the next intelligence failure will not involve forgery.

6. Demonbeck says:

Sorry, just take out Blankenhorn and insert a more appropriate name, the point still stands – something which no one has argued yet.

7. Demonbeck says:

I’m not the one suggesting to African Americans who they can and cannot vote for. I believe they should be able to eat at the same lunch counters, drink from the same water fountains, have the same jobs/pay and the same freedom to choose whom to vote for without fear of retaliation in any form – whether it be ridicule or firehose – that I currently enjoy.

8. Demonbeck says:

At least I am willing to fight to allow ALL people to think freely without fear of reprisal.

Wish I could say the same for everyone…