Gwinnett GOP to “suspend the rules?”

I realize this post will be sort of “inside baseball” stuff but please indulge me.

It has come to my attention that some people are being told they can attend the Gwinnett County Republican Convention Saturday and be seated as a County Convention delegate and vote in the election of Officers without having been elected a delegate or alternate during the February Mass Meetings.

This is absolutely not true. In fact, if such people are seated as delegates and allowed to vote at the County Convention, the entire Gwinnett delegation could be refused admittance to the State Convention in May.

Saturday’s Republican County Conventions are governed by the Convention Call issued by the State Republican Party. Section C, Rule 7 of the Call says:

Only Delegates and Alternates elected by the Election District (Precinct) Mass Meetings or Delegates and Alternates selected by precincts under the provision of State Rules 5.1 may participate in the County Convention

Rule 5.1 of the Georgia GOP describes how Consolidated Precinct Mass Meetings are held and how the Delegates and Alternates are elected by Precinct.

The Rules governing the Gwinnett County Convention cannot be suspended. The Convention Call cannot be suspended.

The delegates and alternates planning to attend the Gwinnett County Republican Convention (or any other GOP County Convention for that matter) need to be aware of this dangerous plan to suspend the rules and seat illegal delegates at the County Convention.

I would urge anyone planning on attending a Republican County Convention this Saturday to download and read the State GOP’s Convention Call. It’s available on the Georgia GOP’s website right here.

1. bowersville says:

The email concerning our little ole meeting on Saturday the 24th of March, states only those members as of 24, January, 2007 will be allowed to vote for officers, delegates and alternatives.

As our county is under 50k, is that true?

2. JRM2016 says:

If your county is under 80k, your precinct caucus will convene tomorrow, right before your county convention, unless your party sent a modified plan to the state before Jan 10. I don’t know of any rule cutting off when you can join the party to attend a meeting.

3. Bill Simon says:

Well, let’s keep in mind something…in the counties in which the party’s people don’t hate each other, everyone loves the Rules and they attend conventions with hope and happiness in mind.

In the county parties which are full of strife (caused by, as I oft-pointed out in my e-newsletter, the people in charge who tend to be pathological sociopaths), there will always be attempts to “stuff the ballot,” however one might attempt it.

“Pathetic?” Yes, but predictable when it comes to human beings who are desperate to win at all costs.

4. Brian from Ellijay says:

Anyone going to be live blogging from Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, or Fulton?

Erick, can we get some of these guys temporary front page access so as they can?

5. buzzbrockway says:

I had thought of trying to blog the results, but all I have is my Palm, which can connect wirelessly (is that word?), but I have no idea if Peachtree Ridge has wireless service available.

Since Chris and I will be at the same place, perhaps we could get together and post something on Peach Pundit.

6. Demonbeck says:

Frankly, I’m not interested enough in the statewide convention to read a liveblog, much less a county convention. How important do you Atlantans think you are?

7. Chris says:

Buzz, I’ll bring my laptop and hook you up.

We need to make sure we are very haughty to annoy Demon….

8. drjay says:

yeah i guess our county is not exciting enough that anyone would care if “stealth delegates” showed up and wanted to participate–the more the merrier–i do not think we will come close to “capacit” tommorrow…

9. Brian from Ellijay says:

I will be in Ellijay. But some posted results will save some phone calls. Anyone for Forsyth? Fulton? Bill can you do Cobb? If not Jade or Donovan post can you?

10. Chris says:

Bill,

Just because you don’t live the latte sipping iBlogging lifestyle is no reason for name calling.