Hmmm… I wonder why Newt said this?

Source

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is considering whether to run for president, said on Tuesday the personal lives of White House hopefuls shouldn’t become an issue in the 2008 campaign.

1. GAWire says:

Honestly, if it were Rudy saying that, I would say that he is only making that comment to cover up his own indescretions. However, in Newt’s case, he has ALWAYS promoted the idea of making national campaigns completely about the issues, rather than the typical political BS that consumes these races.

For instance, he has thrown down the gauntlet for the Presidential Campaign Debates. He has extended an offer to all candidates or future candidates to agree to open forum debates, as opposed to the BS structured debates (i.e. choreographed stump speeches and rebuttal sessions) that debates have become.

Just FYI, I’m not denying Newt wants to take focus off his own past personal issues – it will definitely be an issue; however, I think it will be an issue for practically all national level politicians from here on out and I think that is what Newt is trying to get across with that comment. This will still be a hurdle for him to get over, but quite frankly, I am much more accepting of Newt making such a comment, as opposed to if it were to come from Rudy. Heck, McCain or Edwards could say it and I wouldn’t think much of it, except for the fact that both are still idiots.

2. Judge Learned Hand says:

Newt and Bill may have both struggled with certain temptations; however, there’s a big difference–Newt never denied it once it came out. Slick Willie, on the otherhand, lied to a federal judge. So, yes–both have made mistakes in the past. But Newt and Bill are definitely not comparable.

Newt wants the next campaign to be about the issues–I’d like to hear what those on the Anti-Newt train have against his policy positions. Anyone?

3. Nicki says:

Newt never denied it? What? It wouldn’t have come out if not for Newt. What a colossal waste of money and effort that witch hunt was, and Newt’s one of those who was primarily responsible.

So who cares about the issues, anyway?Apparently Newt, when his own conduct is potentially under scrutiny.

As for his issues — I don’t think it matters, since everything Newt does is a cynical calculation of how to exploit the base.

4. DutchDawg says:

Nicki, I think what Judge is saying is Newt never denied HIS OWN indiscretion, while Clinton stonecold lied to the country about his, not to mention perjure himself in front of a federal judge. It’s amazing how selective people can read when it comes to denial.

5. Rick Day says:

just as I crossed over at the primary to vote for Cagle over Reed, I”ll cross over in the primary and vote for Newt.

Best way to ensure Obama is the clear winner!

6. DutchDawg says:

Rick, congratulations. By crossing over and electing Cagle over Ralph, you guys ensured we would have a Republican governor for the next four years. Cagle was definitely Sonny’s dream running mate. Brilliant move.

7. GAWire says:

Rick, if Obama wins the Presidential campaign, I will personally buy you the biggest glass of beer you can find. Heck, I’ll buy a home brewing kit and brew your own beer for you.

I’m so sure Obama will not win, that I might even be willing to offer all paid travel and room/board to Ireland to get that free beer strait from the Guinness brewery if he does win.

It ain’t happening bro, regardless of your lackluster voting strategies.

And FYI, you crossing over to vote for Cagle didn’t do jacksh*& to help defeat RR!

8. Nicki says:

It’s amazing how selective people can read when it comes to denial.

It’s not denial — it’s my opinion. Newt Gingrich effectively lied by omission by not bothering to let anyone know what a f*&^%ing jerk he was — far more of a jerk than Clinton, let’s note — while he was very publicly spending my money and yours to hunt down Clinton over an issue that was peripheral at best to his ability to govern. So, how important is your personal life in relation to your ability to govern? Either it’s germane or it isn’t — but the guy whose entire career was based on a public morality trial can’t beg off when it’s his own neck in the noose.

And it’s not just democrats who agree with me: http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/2007/03/09/newt-gingrichs-affair-we-already-knew-this/

9. Jimbo says:

I like Newt and hope either he or Fred Thompson enters the race.
    The Democrats kept saying they hoped Reagan would win in 1980. After he got elected, they changed their tune rather quickly.

As the field stands now, I will hold my nose and vote for Rudy. ANYONE is better than McCain.

10. ConservativeCaucus says:

Nicki brings up a line of thinking that is absolutely maddening to me. I have never once heard a Republican lawmaker (or talking head for that matter) say that Clinton should have been impeached because of his marital infidelity, but because of the grave offense of perjury. Although I find his actions morally disturbing (and Mr. Gingrich’s infidelity as well), it is the fact that he committed perjury as the President of the United States that is most offensive.

In a tactical sense, perhaps the GOP should have censored…. err censured 😉 President Clinton instead of pursuing impeachment.

Again, NEVER ONCE have I heard a Republican lawmaker bring up his infidelity as a reason for him to be removed from office. Heck, it was Mrs. Clinton who said on the Today show after being asked if he should resign, that if he did have an affair and lied to cover it up, it “would be a very serious offense.”

So please stop saying that it was sex that the GOP was after, because the offense was perjury.

11. jsm says:

I like how people say Clinton’s sex life is a personal matter, when he had it going on in the Oval Office.

12. Nicki says:

Conservative caucus — We all know what the drama was about. But woudl we have had the drama if we weren’t pursuing a lengthy and expensive smear campaign? Why the hell did we spend so much taxpayer money to ask President Clinton about his private marital issues?

The crime is perjury — but perjury predicated on an obsessive pursuit of a matter that should have been private. And Newt’s career success was based on just that level of inappropriate scrutinity. He shouldn’t be offended that others might give him a lower level of scrutiny.

13. DutchDawg says:

Dems are scared to death of Newt on the issues. They realize if they can’t smear him, he will make them look ridiculously bad on actual policy. Smearing is all they have, or have ever had.