Egos the size of cathedrals

There is gridlock in the legislature over the 2007 supplemental budget:

The $700 million budget bill passed by the House, months later than normal, is aimed at filling spending gaps between now and July. Hours after it was sent to the Senate, first-term Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle called on Gov. Sonny Perdue, then on Richardson, the House speaker.

Cagle told both fellow Republicans that he intended to implement a campaign promise. The Senate would strip the budget bill of pork, give schools and PeachCare the money they need, and put the rest toward the debt or a reserve fund.

[…]

A little-known rule permits the House to reconsider all of its actions. Leaders sent the House clerk to yank back the two copies of the $700 million budget document sent to the Senate.

House members now say they intend to hold it — and a larger $20 billion budget bill — close to their bosom until the last few days of the session. That way, the Senate has less time to monkey with it.

In the meantime, said House Majority Leader Jerry Keen, his chamber will move no Senate bills, including Cagle’s signature legislation to allow entire school systems to shift to charter school status.

One presumes Cagle will respond likewise. A Legislature that has done little will now do less.

My hat is off to Casey Cagle for attempting to strip pet projects and pork from the budget. This majority is the House has absolutely lost it’s mind.

1. Erick says:

Yes! Intra-party warfare! This is actually a win-win for Casey and well done on his part.

And, the government that legislates the least, legislates the best.

2. SOUTHERN BREEZE says:

Keen is out of his league… if he draws the sword he shall surely fall upon it. Casey and the Senate will win this battle and if Keen is silly enough to run for Guv this will make a wonderful mail peice.

3. Paul Shuford says:

Kudos to Casey Cagle for actually standing up for fiscal conservatism, unlike the Republicans in the House.

4. Jason Pye says:

And, the government that legislates the least, legislates the best.

No disagreement there, but there has been little in the way of economic liberty in this session and that is dissapointing.

5. Erick says:

How early 1800’s of you, Jason. Adam Smith would be proud.

6. Bull Moose says:

Way to go Casey!

This is something refreshing, a politician that is clear about where he stands on an issue, doesn’t play political games, and keeps his word.

The people of Georgia need more leaders like Casey Cagle and less politicians like Glenn Richardson and Jerry Keen.

7. adamsmith4883 says:

“A little-known rule permits the House to reconsider all of its actions.”!?!

How is that little known? It is basic parliamentary procedure. Everyone who has ever been in student government, or a civic group, or city council knows about it…

8. Chris says:

Yes, IIRC a motion to reconsider usually requires 2/3rds. I think the implication here is that the House has a rule that allows the leadership/sponsor/one person to trigger the reconsideration.

9. Jeff Emanuel says:

Wow, Rugby. I think Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for high schoolers or collegians everywhere.

That being said, I absolutely hated The Fountainhead.

10. Erick says:

Rugby, I agree. I also agree with Jeff that Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for high schoolers, if only so that they too with dislike Ayn Rand’s writing.

11. rugby_fan says:

Jeff, if you wish to teach children about libertarianism (well, I wouldn’t) I would prescribe Bastiat’s the Law.

If it is literature you wish to teach (this, I would) what is wrong with Shakespeare or Chaucer?

As you see, Ayn Rand should be used as a very last resort.

12. rugby_fan says:

As a friend once quipped to an acquaintance of mine “I assume you have a copy of ‘We the Living’ to remind yourself that Ayn Rand could once write a decent novel”.

13. I appauld LT. Governor Cagle for standing for Fiscal Responsibility and against pork-barel spending. The focus of spending should be on giving schools and PeachCare the money they need, and put the rest toward the debt or a reserve fund, instead pork-barell spending on special interests. I thank You Lieutenant Governor Cagle.

14. Jason Pye says:

Ayn Rand is a horrible author and a true discredit to libertarianism.

Oddly enough, Rand hated libertarians.

I’m not a huge fan of her fiction. But her non-fiction like Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal and The Virtue of Selfishness have influenced me quite a bit.

15. rugby_fan says:

And the Virtue of Selfishness repulsed me (and still does).

Taking it further, Objectivism is one of the philosophies I despise (not disagree with, but despise) the most.

16. Jason Pye says:

And the Virtue of Selfishness repulsed me (and still does).

Why?

I can understand issues with Objectivism, I have some…but rational self-interest is something I believe in.

17. rugby_fan says:

I honestly can not explain it other than simply I am incredulous when I read some of her claims.

That is it. And I know that is a horrible philosophical argument (it is so bad it is not even an argument).