Personal conflict could kill HB 6

Andre reports that HB 6 may be dead because of issues between Earl Ehrhart and Bobby Franklin:

House Bill 6, a bill that would make “it illegal for law enforcement to seize a law-abiding person’s gun during an emergency situation, such as a flood. It also removes the governor’s power to suspend the transportation or sale of firearms in such a crisis” (Source: 1/30/2007 Macon Telegraph article “Pair of gun bills shoot through committee”), was on today’s House Rules Consideration Calendar, but it didn’t come out of the House Rules Committee either on the supplemental calendar for today or the Rules calendar for tomorrow.

Today, during a meeting of the House Rules Committee, Committee Chair Earl Ehrhart told Rep. Bobby Franklin, one of the sponsors of the bill, that HB6 is “going down hill” and “may be doomed” because of some sort of internal problem between the two representatives.

I know this is the norm at the capitol, but please don’t let a good bill die because of a personal squabble.

1. Rusty says:

If there was an emergency so severe (think Katrina) that the government wanted to take peoples’ guns, I don’t think either gun owners or the government are going to be very concerned about what’s legal. They could tell me they wanted my guns, but they’d have to walk through a cloud of lead to get them. I don’t oppose the law, but I think it’s kind of pointless.

2. Jason Pye says:

After Katrina, Congress enacted legislation that bars federal entities from disarming law-abiding citizens from carrying. This bill just goes hand in hand with what the Feds have done.

3. Burdell says:

Giving two people (the Speaker and the Rules Chairman) the sole authority to kill a bill is just as dangerous as giving any person the sole authority to pass a bill.

In fact, it may be more dangerous, because someone who can unilaterally block legislation can use that power to get his own bills passed, which is essentially sole authority to pass a bill.

The rules in both houses need to be changed on this issue. Erhart and Balfour (Senate rules chairman) have both abused this power before and it seems to be happening again.

4. Decaturguy says:

What did I tell you all about the power of Earl Ehrhart? And do you still think that 4 year term bill is going to make it through the House?

5. Bill Simon says:

Earl Ehrhart is long overdue for an ass-kickin’…as soon as I get some time freed-up from party politics, I’m going to spend some time looking for opportunities for Mr. Earl…

6. Larry says:

Seems like just yesterday that I was sending up thanks for getting Calvin Smyre out of the Rules chair. Hmmm… I guess we’re better off, but not by much.

The Rules committee needs to act as a committee and not just a group of people bowing to the political whims of the Chair Person/Speaker/Governor.