Confessions of a Former Man Slut

“Hi, my name is Newt and I’m a former man slut. I’m sorry.” I guess that is what I’m to take away from this.

Newt Gingrich was interviewed by James Dobson for Focus on the Family and admitted that he has been less than faithful to his wives. In particular, while he was leading the charge against Bill Clinton during the Lewinsky affair, Gingrich admits that he too was having an affair. Of course, there are big differences here — Gingrich calls it what it was and Clinton has always debated what “is” is.

Still, you can’t help reading this and thinking that he is just beginning his efforts to run for President. And he is super smart enough to know that unless he goes through some Oprahesque journey of healing and reconciliation, his super high negatives are going to stay that way. Reaching out to groups like Focus on the Family and other social conservative groups to repent and admit past sins is not only the right thing to do, but the calculatedly smart thing to do too.

No one else is articulating, at his level, a conservative vision for the future (Romney comes closest). Too bad there is a shortage on the GOP side of men who have stayed faithful to their wives. Isn’t Romney the only one?

1. Loren says:

“No one else is articulating, at his level, a conservative vision for the future”

That sure is distressing. Newt’s American Eleven platform from last year left a lot to be desired. Instead of the smaller-government mantra of the Contract with America, Newt’s new platform leans a little too much in the direction of giving greater power to the federal government, and to Congress in particular.

Most disturbing is Gingrich’s new push for greater Congressional power to overrule the Supreme Court. Whether it’s in the form of jurisdiction-stripping or a more explicit call for greater Congressional power, an overhaul of the traditional federal balance of power is hardly conservative.

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

Don’t forget, “limited government” Newt was personally lobbying Members of Congress to pass the prescription drug benefit, and he’s all about Puerto Rican statehood. The list goes on and on. The guy is not what he appears to be; you need to look beyond the talking points.

Stay classy, Newt.

3. StevePerkins says:

I don’t really understand the surge of support among Georgia’s congressional delegation (as well as front-page posters here) for Romney as being a “conservative leader”. What you see today is as far right as he will ever go, for purpose of primary strategy, but if he won the nomination I presume that he would “re-discover” his moderate roots for the general election.

What is the deal with Georgia Congressmen and Peach Pundit posters? Logic would dictate that this crowd would be pushing for Huckabee, who’s the only real conservative without a ton of personal baggage who could make a viable run. Do people here really buy Romney as a conservative, or it is more of a cynical calculation where folks are willing to compromise in order to prevent Hillary or the black guy from winning?

4. SpaceyG says:

Sex is political. The political is sexual. Throw all the confessions at it you want, folks is always gonna get it on… someway, somehow. And down and lowdown and dirty too. Just the nature of, uh, the beast, eh?

5. John Galt says:

Steve Perkins,

I too have wondered about this odd race by many in the GA GOP delegation to jump on the Romney bandwagon. It can’t be merely ideological. I wonder if Romney’s largest GA financial backers might also be the members’ biggest donors? Wouldn’t be too hard to cross check.

6. mel says:

You really think there are big differences in what Newt and Ol’Bill were doing? Sure, Bill lied when he was caught, but the whole time Newt was going after Bill, he was concealing his own misdeeds. That seems pretty hypocritical to me. There is no difference in their conduct. Neither one deserves a free pass.

7. Nicki says:

With all due respect, I think this post indicates you’re very possibly insane.

Newt isn’t a conservative. He’s a neocon, and a backstabbing, lying scumbag. Whose vision for America is to control it and impose his own personal religious and corporate vision upon it.

As to his former wives, it would be hard to find a politician who has treated people he is supposed to love and cherish less charitably.

You’re grasping at straws here in trying to find something honorable about the man, and frankly I don’t get it.

8. rugby_fan says:

“Newt isn’t a conservative. He’s a neocon”

I thought “neocon” meant “Neo-Conservative”.

That was a feeble attempt at humor.

I will agree that there is not much, if anything honorable in Newt as a man but I do find his policies to be sound.

9. Judge Learned Hand says:

Newt has never claimed to be perfect or to have all the answers. He has, however, indicated that a presidential candidate (read: himself) should elevate himself and the tone of the electoral process by winning on ideas and solutions—not by being the best mud-slinger. By the time the election finally gets here, people will be so tired of the partisan bickering–they’ll really appreciate Newt’s candor and pragmatism.

I consider Newt to be consistently conservative (unlike Romney or Giuliani or McCain) and capable of leading our country in a new direction. Even if he doesn’t get the Rep. nomination, his presence in the race will be good for the party either by moving the frontrunners further to the right or providing a good example of how to run a “solutions oriented” campaign.

Besides that–the three books he wrote on the Civil War were pretty dang good…

10. Trackboy1 says:

“We had oral sex. He prefers that modus operandi because then he can say, ‘I never slept with her.'” – Anne Manning (who was also married at the time.)

“He walked out in the spring of 1980…. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said, “Daddy is downstairs. Could he come up?” When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from my surgery.” – Jackie, his first wife.

11. rugby_fan says:

“they’ll really appreciate Newt’s candor and pragmatism.”

But does that mean the electorate will even care one iota about his policies?

12. Mad Dog says:

Rugby_fan,

Voters only care about character. Especially GOP voters. Newt has a lock on the White House if all the voters are the dumbed down GOP faithful.

Regional party. Religious Right. Backwards facing.

13. Mad Dog says:

Rugby,

What was the line in one of those science fiction movies? He was dead but his mind didn’t know it yet?

Newt’s dead and his mind is too stupid to know it.