On behalf of Georgia’s African-American Community…

…state Sen. Eric Johnson, I accept your apology for something that you had nothing to do with.

The next time I see you on the Senate floor, Senator, I’ll be expecting my reparations check.  You can make that out to cash or better yet insert about…say $250,000 into the supplemental budget for me.

I think that’s fair.

By the way, while we’re issuing apologies, I’m sorry for Michael Jackson turning himself white.  I’m sorry for O.J. Simpson cutting them white folks up.  I’m sorry for Ike beating Tina.  I’m sorry for Barry Bonds using steroids.  I’m sorry for Ron Artest jumping in the stands like a fool.  I’m sorry for Latrell Sprewell choking his coach.  I’m sorry 2Pac and Biggie Smalls got shot.  I’m sorry for M.C. Hammer and those doggone parachute pants.  I’m sorry for FreakNik.  And pretty much anything else you want to blame black folks for, I apologize…except for Vanilla Ice, that guy’s on you.

1. Burdell says:

This has absolutely got to be the stupidest debate of the 2007 Legislative Session.

I have got to agree with Speaker Richardson here. It’s not the government’s place to be apologizing for every wrong that was ever committed against any special interest group out there. Where do we stop, after eugenics and slavery? Everybody has been treated badly at some point in their lives. Sometimes in a way as bad or worse than slavery.

It is regrettable when at times in the past certian people decided an entire group of people deserved to be mistreated. But for modern demagogues to target other groups for the sins of those few is to repeat the problem.

Virgina Senator Henry Marsh said, “you can’t have any true progress in this country until we get a reconciliation and an honest dialogue about race and slavery.” He is both right and wrong. He is right because progress comes from honest dialogue.

But he is completely wrong in his assumption that there has been no progress, that we should continue to focus on race as a way of grouping people, and that there has not been any reconcilliation.

I frequently hear from ignorant individuals that “whites” are still racist and unapologetic about slavery. But this is the same attitude that led to slavery in the first place.

We can never have progress beyond where we are now until we stop judging people based on the color of their skin, or their national origin, or their sex, or any other group which the ignorant stereotype. Take people one at a time.

Slavery is morally wrong. But it was abolished in the United States nearly 150 years ago. It really is time to move on, and for all people to reject the attitudes that are beyond such atrocities.

Let’s quit asking the government for empty apologies and work on changing our own hearts.

2. Rick Day says:

(ahem) no sir. actually, its 2pac.

And for his next trick, Sen Johnson moonwalks!

very Caucausian like…

As an 8 generation white male, I’d like to apologize for all the crazy white haired crackers that been running this state since 1776.

Whew…where do I send that check again?

3. DavidAtlanta says:

As someone from the South, I will apologize to anyone who has ever purchased a pecan log from Stuckey’s. I’m truly sorry about that.

I don’t know who came up with the idea of putting fruit in Jell-o and calling it a salad, but it had to be a white woman. Sorry. Pears and green Jello should never even be in the same room with each other.

Andre, I accept your apology for parachute pants. As a white kid growing up in the 80’s, I apologize for wearing them and thinking I was cool.

And I’m sorry about the whole “Achey-Breaky Heart” thing. Wow, that was embarrassing.

And, I apologize for the laser show at Stone Mountain Park. Tacky doesn’t even begin to cover it. I still cringe when I think about it. Anytime you combine Lee Greenwood and lasers, it’s going to be bad.

4. Jmac says:

I think it’s Krunk with a ‘K’ … but I might be wrong.

Speaking of that, this has baffled me for a while. Does anyone remember Conan O’Brian, a few years back, doing a bit where he said he had developed a new curse word the NBC censors couldn’t pick up … and said word was ‘Krunk’ or ‘Crunk’ … then a couple of years later, it’s part of standard hip-hop vernacular.

Did Lil Jon really parrot that from Conan O’Brian?

Also … both 2Pac and Tupac work. Check out his official site.

5. denmarkvesay says:

The sad part about this debate is that although folks want America to move forward– we never will. America can’t expect to last as long as others nations in human history and wallow in denial when it comes to race relations and the long term effects of slavery on American social- psychology. Any semi-educated person could make a connection between slavery and the gradual erosion of human capital in America.

I’m not saying that slavery is to blame for all of America’s problems but it is definitely a major underlying factor that subconsciously shapes American life.

The fact of the matter is that the percentage of people of color dependent on government services is disproportionate when compared to whites. African Americans and other people of color trail whites in every socioeconomic category. Yes, there are a lot of successful people of color in America (professionals, entertainers, and athletes) but that number pails in comparison to white Americans.

If America is a chain then people of color, African Americans in particular, are the weakest link—-and the chain is only as strong as its weakest link, therefore investments should be made to make the weakest link stronger.

The long-term repercussions of slavery have created an economic anomaly in America where we spend billions of dollars every year on the same problems and repeat history constantly. It’s strictly a matter of happenstance that most poor people in America are decedents of slaves (peoples of color) and those who are “normal” are not.

Furthermore, the US census bureau projects that 2040 or so, Latinos and African Americans will surpass whites as the majority population. Then what? The thought of living in country where the majority population is highly uneducated, overrepresented in the prison system, and extremely unhealthy concerns the hell out me and should concern the hell out of you. An apology is the first step toward the creation of more specific policies that can truly help to bridge the socioeconomic gap between blacks and whites, and I ain’t talking about affirmative action, welfare, food stamps or Medicaid. It’s truly in America’s long-term interest to fully address the issue regardless of sensitive the topic is.

6. gatormathis says:

While we apologizing on here, I’d just like to throw one out for James Brown.

Having expired since Dec 30, Brown still hasn’t been paid the honor of a decent burial.

The “hardest working man in show business” surely deservered better than this.

His songs have entertained millions, even stirring up patrotic emotions with his hit “Living in America”.

Even at his age, he continued to give a full blast show, probably enjoying his fans more than his bickering relatives. It’s more fun to hear the cheering of admiring fans than being cussed continually because, “that ain’t enough” money.

After all is said and done, when the estate is finally divided and the lawyers have all been paid, I sure hope they leave enough in the kitty to bury the late Brown.

It would be a shame for everyone to make off with a stash of your money, only to leave your funeral bill unpaid.

So James get an apology from me on behalf of those so damn ignorant and disrespectful, to let such an entertainer stay in the cooler for almost three months, unnecessarily.

In the end, his money will still be what pays for his funeral, and a shame he had to go through his relations to get burial. More reason to leave a will I guess.

7. G-MAN says:

Somehow many of the people responding to the apology for slavery are misinformed and ego tripping!
    The apology is not coming from you the individual of 2007 even though you have benefitted and wallow in the ill- gotton gains of white priveledge.

It is indefensible for anyone to deny the legislation and shameful for the misinformed to trivialize it.

8. jsm says:

“The request is no I will say the demand is to the State of Georgia an entity within its self for slavery. The State of Georgia sanctioned, enforced, supported, and benefitted, from the barbaric, inhumane, and horrific enslavement of black people.”

What is the ‘State of Georgia?’ It’s made up of people who live on a specified land mass. The people who made up this state when racist wrongs were sanctioned should bare the responsibility of their actions–not those who live here today.

I don’t understand how some continually refer to government as a big ‘thing’ that is somehow separate from the people. Any wrong committed by the State of Georgia was done by PEOPLE and should be made right by THOSE PEOPLE.

9. jsm says:

Where did I say anything doesn’t exist? A corporation is made up of people. That’s why Jeffrey Skilling’s going to jail and Ken Lay would have had he lived longer.

10. jsm says:

Corporations exist, and they’re made up of people. Corporations can’t operate without people. People, who make up corporations, make decisions. People are responsible for the decisions they make, which affect the corporations they make up.

Can I make this any clearer?

Insert ‘state’ where I used ‘corporation’ above, and the same is true.