1. ARBY says:

As a former consultant to a state lottery, I can assure you that the “happy endings” among lottery winners is rare — maybe 20% or less. Big money is a big headache — and it doesn’t usually have a positive impact on the lives of most winners. That being said — I bought a ticket.

2. Chris says:

Sir Galahad: Look, let me … face the peril.
    Sir Lancelot: No, it’s too perilous.
    Sir Galahad: Look, it’s my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can.
    Sir Lancelot: No, we’ve got to find the Holy Grail. Come on.
    Sir Galahad: Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril?
    Sir Lancelot: No. It’s unhealthy.

3. Bill Simon says:

Darn it! Well….in order to have a good chance of winning, I would have had to travel to some city or town out in the boonies to buy a random ticket…it’s always someone who lives in the smllest, most far-out place that wins on a Quick Pick.

Of course, Macon WOULD qualify… 😉

4. Chris says:

Bill,

Don’t you need electricity to be able to sell lotto tickets? I believe that rules out Macon.

5. DougieFresh says:

As someone who currently resides in Macon, electricity and indoor plumbing are a passing fad!

Anyway, ARBY, it’s not the money that is the problem, it is the people who play the lottery. Playing the lottery is not exactly a good investment, and is not a replacement for retirement planning.

Give someone with that relationship to money a large fortune, and they will be broke in short order, and probably in legal trouble.

6. TM2000 says:

You have to look on the bright side, every time you play, whether you win or lose, you are giving money to somebody’s education.

7. DougieFresh says:

TM2000, if that is anyone’s motivation for playing the lottery, they should be giving the money directly to a scholarship fund instead.

It is disgraceful for the state to hold a lottery that pays back only about 50% of its collected revenue to players and markets itself to the uneducated and poor, while it makes casinos, which pay back around 95%, illegal.